Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying new Android - Recommendations 700e limit

• 21-02-2020 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking to buy a new device and need some recommendations.

Value for money would be good but I would like something somewhat future proofed.

I've been looking at the OnePlus 7T Pro but if there was something better for cheaper, i'd be ears open.

I currently have a Xiaomi Mi A1, which has served me incredibly well but the camera is a big downfall for me as it is poor quality so would like something decent in that department.

Comments

budget great camera option

Pixel 3a from google - a genuinely good camera that takes great photos day or night
    you need to port your number or get another sim card (e.g. from EIR https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/free-sim-cards/ ) to pretend to port your number to get the €100 off the €279 to bring it down to €179. you need to receive a text on this sim as part of the process.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/google-pixel-3a-pay-as-you-go-just-black

photo samples from flickr

https://www.flickr.com/groups/google_pixel3_pixel3xl/pool/

it's all the phone you need really and updates until mid 2022

if you want to spend more on a new phone

mi 10 or mi 10 pro

look online for prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Mi 10 or hold out for the OnePlus 8.reported to be out the end of March.i have the 7t and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I've been looking into the Mi range and like what I'm seeing with the Mi Note 10 Pro, it's the 8gb Ram and 256gb HDD but I can't seem to find a decent site to buy it from.

It's on eGlobal but there are some sketchy reviews of that site, does anyone have any experience.

I love the Mi 10 Pro but 1000 euro is a bit much for me, I'd be at my wit's end having that with me on a night out or that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Huawei P30 Pro, best camera I've ever had on phone. Should be able to get it for well under 700 now.

Pixel 4 is also now discounted on the play store which is supposedly best Android camera going.

Check out honor buy for Xiaomi phones, the EU direct is your best https://www.honorbuy.com/28-eu-direct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I've been looking into the Mi range and like what I'm seeing with the Mi Note 10 Pro, it's the 8gb Ram and 256gb HDD but I can't seem to find a decent site to buy it from.

It's on eGlobal but there are some sketchy reviews of that site, does anyone have any experience.

I love the Mi 10 Pro but 1000 euro is a bit much for me, I'd be at my wit's end having that with me on a night out or that.
    Just bought the 8 note pro from there, delivered in around a week and a half with insurance... Second time buying from them, and beyond the delivery times I’ve had no issues though I can see others have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ref eglobal stay away is my firm advice, regards the mi 10 pro nice unit,I have the mi note 10,camera is amazing 108 mp

Ref eglobal stay away is my firm advice, regards the mi 10 pro nice unit,I have the mi note 10,camera is amazing 108 mp

Thanks, i'm really leaning towards the mi 10 pro for the camera alone.

I can't seem to find anywhere else selling the pro version, only eGlobal?

Huawei P30 Pro, best camera I've ever had on phone. Should be able to get it for well under 700 now.

Pixel 4 is also now discounted on the play store which is supposedly best Android camera going.

Check out honor buy for Xiaomi phones, the EU direct is your best https://www.honorbuy.com/28-eu-direct

Actually I see that it's on honorbuy, Google just weren't quick to let me know that.

Is Honorbuy decent in terms of delivery times and condition upon delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Actually I see that it's on honorbuy, Google just weren't quick to let me know that.

Is Honorbuy decent in terms of delivery times and condition upon delivery?

Yes. 100%. 2/3 days delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

massy086 wrote: »
    Mi 10 or hold out for the OnePlus 8.reported to be out the end of March.i have the 7t and love it

Im thinking of buying the 7t now - A lot of people are giving out about the camera - is this somehting that troubles you?

Also - I normally like to have an SD card option, any issues there (128 is probably enough anyway..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭micks_address

kenmm wrote: »
    Im thinking of buying the 7t now - A lot of people are giving out about the camera - is this somehting that troubles you?

Also - I normally like to have an SD card option, any issues there (128 is probably enough anyway..)

Camera is probably 85 to 90 percent of a pixel camera..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Camera is probably 85 to 90 percent of a pixel camera..

I'm not sure what that means tho (having not used either!) - I mean a camera and lens is very subjective anyway -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭micks_address

kenmm wrote: »
    I'm not sure what that means tho (having not used either!) - I mean a camera and lens is very subjective anyway -

i mean you are getting a camera thats probably approx 85 to 90% as good as a pixel camera which give the best results most of the time... if you value battery life over camera, and speed and the form factor suits you then go for the one plus

Advertisement