Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data used when data off

Options
  • 20-02-2020 8:22pm

Real strange issue. Bought my son a mobile phone at Xmas and a Tesco SIM with €5 top up. His phone has mobile data and roaming switched off and the phone has been connected to WiFi permanently (he has never brought the phone outside the house) .
    Randomly every day or every few days, 10c is deducted for mobile data usage.
    I am pretty good with Android, so googled it to death, stopped mobile data usage on an app by app basis and for each service. Did a factory reset and problem persists. Got a Vodafone SIM with €5 on it. Put SIM in phone for 2 weeks. No credit was used in the 2 weeks. Put Tesco SIM in and issue started again. Tesco support are useless. We also changed the Tesco SIM over to a new SIM.
    Now the exact same issue is happening with another of my sons. He has had his phone a couple of years and this started in January. Only option I can see is to move their numbers over to Eir as costs are same but Eir customer support is supposed to be worst in Ireland.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

Do the phones say data has been used in the data usage settings?

Do the phones say data has been used in the data usage settings?

The data usage on the phone says no mobile data has been used.

Perhaps go into the APN settings and deliberately change them to an incorrect APN?

Perhaps go into the APN settings and deliberately change them to an incorrect APN?

Is it possible that the APN settings are incorrect. Will give it a go on son ones phone as he doesn't bring it outside. Didn't consider APN settings.

Is it possible that the APN settings are incorrect. Will give it a go on son ones phone as he doesn't bring it outside. Didn't consider APN settings.

No I mean the APN settings are correct, but if you intentionally change them to an incorrect setting then there's no way it can connect to mobile data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Those little bits if data in the background seem to happen quite a lot (can't remember what they're for - location or handshaking or something?)

My husband only wants calls & texts (on PAYG), and when he replaced his old 2G phone the new one was 3G. Partly because of those little data charges, we got our ISP to block data from their end, which worked. That was with Three, but maybe worth asking Tesco, if that doesn't block wifi data as well? (I'm sure someone here can advise). It was quite a simple process (and Three said to just give them a shout if we ever want the block removed).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Delete the APNs. AFAIK there are two APNs...one for data...the other for MMS. Deleting them should make it impossible for any data traffic via the mobile network.

You could also request a data traffic log from Tesco to see which (if any) apps are connecting. Maybe there's an app with built in network access permission submitting location data or app stats etc in the background. Deleting APNs should fix that issue unless there's malware on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Turn off location services. Strange I know, but try and it you'll probably see it disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

derekeire; did that do the trick? (If it's still not sorted, I've had another thought or so that might be relevant).

Advertisement