Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTA flights at DUB. Why are they not segregated?

Options
  • 18-02-2020 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I flew yesterday with Mrs. Rock to LGW from DUB. We were able to just swan off as if we were doing an intra-Schengen flight from HEL to CDG for example. It was brilliant not having to queue at passport control.

To contrast this, when I return to DUB later this week I'll be in the same queue as arrivals from LHR, LGW, CDG, JFK and even Hong Kong.

Even flights from Donegal to Dublin are forced through passport control. Are we in the CTA or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Here we go again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think there's a whole discussion on this in the infrastructure thread. tl;dr they could but it'd be inefficient or they're lazy halfwits, depending on who you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Unfortunately this is a topic banned on this board much as I and others share your views. There is a thread - not the infrastructure one but one titled "passport control at Dub" or something like that, where views were aired at length, feel free to search.

tl'dr you are right , CTA however is not a legal obligation and therefore the airport and agencies working there can do what they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭PommieBast

In the past I have got through Dublin and Shannon without a passport when flying from London. Having said that the inspectors have become very arsey about people doing so the last 2-3 years, and I doubt the CTA will survive Brexit.

I've also noticed that they always scan passports these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

PommieBast wrote: »
    In the past I have got through Dublin and Shannon without a passport when flying from London. Having said that the inspectors have become very arsey about people doing so the last 2-3 years, and I doubt the CTA will survive Brexit.

I've also noticed that they always scan passports these days.

The CTA predates our and the UKs entry into the EEC, so is not affected by Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I flew yesterday with Mrs. Rock to LGW from DUB. We were able to just swan off as if we were doing an intra-Schengen flight from HEL to CDG for example. It was brilliant not having to queue at passport control.

To contrast this, when I return to DUB later this week I'll be in the same queue as arrivals from LHR, LGW, CDG, JFK and even Hong Kong.

Even flights from Donegal to Dublin are forced through passport control. Are we in the CTA or not?

Basically the CTA applies only to Irish and British citizens.

Everyone else needs a passport to enter either country and many require separate visas to do so.

For better or not, the Irish immigration authorities have decided to check everyone entering Ireland at Irish airports, and from other posts on this topic by INIS staff there is still apparently a significant number of arriving passengers from airports within the CTA who are not entitled to enter the country and get sent back.

FYI UK Border Force do random checks on flights from Ireland (I’ve had them), but I would assume that they view the risk of illegal immigration into the UK is less from Ireland, than the Irish authorities do in the opposite direction.

There is no excuse however for the two Irish domestic routes - arriving passengers on them should be facilitated with a dedicated secure channel but for whatever reason the DAA haven’t done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

SI No 227 of 1997 allows for this situation.

"(a) An immigration officer may examine an alien arriving in the State from Great Britain or Northern Ireland (referred to subsequently in this paragraph as "an alien to whom this paragraph applies") for the purpose of determining whether he or she should be given leave to land and the provisions of paragraphs (1) to (6) and (8) of this Article shall apply in the case of such a person as they apply in the case of a person coming from a place outside the State other than Great Britain or Northern Ireland with any necessary modifications."

So basically, the Brits pull their weight and we don't in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The CTA predates our and the UKs entry into the EEC, so is not affected by Brexit.

You forget that the UK and Ireland entered the EU on the same day.

With the UK out of the EU the CTA represents a potential back door into Europe. I'd be surprised if Brussels was enthusiastic about that.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

possibly unrelated but I flew to Manchester recently and when I arrived there was no passport control, no customs. nothing.

Got off the plane, walked into the terminal, straight onto the street.

Not one check, literally open doors the entire way bar a little unmanned corridor if you had anything to declare.

Was a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Noxegon wrote: »

With the UK out of the EU the CTA represents a potential back door into Europe. I'd be surprised if Brussels was enthusiastic about that.
    However migrants from the UK in Ireland would still need a passport with valid visa to travel to other EU countries as we are not in Schengen. Our non-membership of Schengen permits our continued operation of the CTA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

sweet_trip wrote: »
    possibly unrelated but I flew to Manchester recently and when I arrived there was no passport control, no customs. nothing.

Got off the plane, walked into the terminal, straight onto the street.

Not one check, literally open doors the entire way bar a little unmanned corridor if you had anything to declare.

Was a bit mad.

This is normal landing in the UK from Ireland or any domestic flight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Noxegon wrote: »

Since Ireland is not in Schengen, the only part of Europe it allows you in is Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Locker10a wrote: »
    This is normal landing in the UK from Ireland or any domestic flight

Liverpool, and all the London airports have stringent checks last time I used them. So I don't know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Liverpool, and all the London airports have stringent checks last time I used them. So I don't know.

I’ve never landed in London from an Irish flight and had my passport checked to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Bristol force Irish flights through passport control while ushering domestic flights straight through. First time I flew through there I thought it was all flights until a visit last year my friend's flight from Edinburgh arrived at the same time as mine from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

Locker10a wrote: »
    I’ve never landed in London from an Irish flight and had my passport checked to be honest

I've flown into LHR, LCY, MAN, EDI and INV in the last year and have never had my passport checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Imagine the following scenario:

I have an eastern European name, my parents are Ukrainian but I was born and raised here.

I fly from Donegal to Dublin using my work ID as identification, as EI accepts this.

I had a e-boarding pass on my phone which died in the long queue

I arrive in at the same time as the flight from Kyiv.

What happens at the booth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There will be an issue with the CTA in that it will be like pre 1992 in that there will be customs checks.
    At DUB they would be wise to segregate flights for this reason alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Caranica wrote: »
    Bristol force Irish flights through passport control while ushering domestic flights straight through. First time I flew through there I thought it was all flights until a visit last year my friend's flight from Edinburgh arrived at the same time as mine from Dublin.

Depends on the gate, walked through 'Isle of Man/Republic of Ireland' in Bristol on Friday last arriving from Dublin, that dumps you into the baggage hall and customs

The UK channel skips customs

I have an eastern European name, my parents are Ukrainian but I was born and raised here.

I fly from Donegal to Dublin using my work ID as identification, as EI accepts this.

Well???

• Advertisement

You won’t clash, as the flight from Donegal arrives into T2, into which there are no flights from Eastern Europe.

VG31 wrote: »
    I've flown into LHR, LCY, MAN, EDI and INV in the last year and have never had my passport checked.

As I posted above, UK Border Force do carry out intelligence led spot checks - I’ve experienced them at London City in the past.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    You won’t clash, as the flight from Donegal arrives into T2, into which there are no flights from Eastern Europe.

Switch Ukrainian for American.

Switch Ukrainian for American.

You’ll surely have an Irish accent in that scenario if you were born and raised here - that surely would be a give away..

The immigration officials make judgements as outlined in the other threads on the topic.

I’m sure they could find a charger to boot up your phone if they doubted your honesty!

The scenario you outline clearly hasn’t happened much or we would have heard about it in the media.

Perhaps take this up with the DAA as they’re responsible for the airport layout?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Only time I've ever had my passport checked in UK was in the early 90's in Heathrow when I was 12 and travelling alone to stay with my uncle in London for the weekend. Special branch detective looked at my passport, asked me who was collecting me and left it at that.

Been through EDI, LGW, MAN, LHR, LLA & LCY probably a combined 50 or 60 times over past 20 odd years and not one check. Tis annoying arriving back in Dublin and having to queue up at passport control, but at least the passport machines speed things up a bit these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

LXFlyer wrote: »
    As I posted above, UK Border Force do carry out intelligence led spot checks - I’ve experienced them at London City in the past.

I never said they don't happen but they can't be that frequent as I've never experienced them.

I've never had ID checks on intra Schengen flights either (haven't taken anywhere near as many of these as flights to the UK admittedly). I have experienced checks at land borders though.

VG31 wrote: »
    I never said they don't happen but they can't be that frequent as I've never experienced them.

I've never had ID checks on intra Schengen flights either (haven't taken anywhere near as many of these as flights to the UK admittedly). I have experienced checks at land borders though.

I think we have to accept (whether we agree with it or not!), that the two countries have a different set up - the UK chooses to use intelligence led checks as explained in other threads, presumably on the basis that they assess the risk of mass illegal immigration off Irish flights to be low, while our immigration authorities view it the opposite way around.

The one thing for certain in my view is that the domestic flight arrivals should not be subject to checks - that’s just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Arriving into the UK I have been subject to random/intelligence-led Border Force checks at ALL of the UK airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Will Ireland join the Schengen area agreement going forward with Brexit in progress? Why did the govt decide not to go ahead and join previously?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I travel back and forth between the UK and Ireland with my children around 6 times a year - usually MAN-DUB (we live in Manchester) but I lived in London for a good while so have travelled out of all the airports there too. I've only ever had a passport checked on landing at Gatwick once about 5 years ago. Usually if there is any check the boarding pass is enough.

Advertisement