Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social worker called mistakenly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

It happened me,but look at my boards account, yes they did my kids are now 16(daughter)son's aged 18 21 24 i can't hide my account on boards but they done exactly what you and I typed
    Social worker had me as following on fb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

triona1 wrote: »
    It happened me,but look at my boards account, yes they did my kids are now 16(daughter)son's aged 18 21 24 i can't hide my account on boards but they done exactly what you and I typed

I can't believe this, this is insane.
    The only person who I could think of as possibly reporting me is my Dad as we are estranged and not on good terms at all, and he was trying to get contact with my kids but I won't allow it. Maybe he's lashing out by contacting them about me, trying to cause more havoc in my life.

Yup i don't know what to say, x

Less said Tulsa following me on fb.i don't mind putting it here ill even post their names as they are done thats Tulsa for you.
    Mods im not going to post name's of Tulsa

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As crap as that is, FB it’s public material so nothing really to stop them, physically or in law to the best of my knowledge. Putting their feet on your property is different. Private up your FB so only your friends can see and access info. Tell social workers that visiting should only be done with a prior agreed appointment..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Ring Tusla to verify they were legit.
    I'm sure they would have had to show you ID.
    Give them a good description of the 2,the car they drove and the names they gave.
    I mean come on.. First they say they're looking for another person then they come back and change their story?
    I'm not buying it.
    And yes women are involved in criminal gangs.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Sorry, I just saw now you rang Tusla.
    This is highly suspicious as a criminal activity.
    Did you get any number plate?
    Any neighbours with CCTV?

To thine own self be true

All my kids matter to me but my ty1 that hurt jesus it near killed me and then my husband, oh they'll get you if they get an inch .im going to pm a mod to maybe stop me posting in an open fora,so as you know I can't say pm but ty1 or lti fora ill be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I'd put money on them being criminals just trying to scope out houses.

Dont worry op. You've told the relevant authorities now!

They definitely weren't social workers, they'd be too busy and wouldnt have the time or even be allowed just knock on some random persons door to ask if their kids are home alone just because they seen them in the window!

Probably trying to see if houses are empty.

Dart, yep they can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If they were social workers then Tulsa wouldn't tell you to contact the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Yeah it was definitely false pretences, why would they assume that the kids were home alone when you could have been sat in the kitchen at the back of the house or hanging out the washing or something?
    It’s a bizarre conclusion and a total overreaction, it sounds like a really implausible excuse of faux concern cause they were just checking out the area for other purposes.

Dart, yep they can

Not in this context. As op mentioned earlier they only enquired were the children alone on their second knock.

The first knock, they asked for another person that doesn't live there.

This shows its bull**** and they weren't social workers.

A social worker isn't going to go out on a job to 'Mary's' house, and on the way pull in to a house down the road because they seen a child playing in a window alone, that's ridiculous!

Strumm stall the digger ive nothing to hide here i am on boards im telling you i seen that person following me on fb

Only garda get involved when kids are taken out of their homes

Dart please don't ive son's older than you. X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

OP I don't want to sound like a prick but I don't think someone with anxiety issues should be online with strangers regarding a situation like this. I'm sure it's nothing serious.

Look just face it, they weren't social workers, and were probably scoping empty houses :V

X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Highly likely they were scoping estate out.
    If so you are sound.

You arrived back unannounced at some random time.
    Your husband is working upstairs and no sign of him from outside.

Yours is the last house they'll tackle.

They want houses with everyone away all day.

I no the fright ill leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Strange how they knocked the first time and rang the doorbell when they knew you were inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@ OP. I guess you are not going to rest easy until you find out. I'm guessing that the HSE Social Workers are broken up into geographical regions for visits.

Find out where your local office is. Find out that if these people are bona fide.

You should have asked for the ID either of the times they called!!!!

Its likely by their very behaviour, that they were Social Workers. You say that they were at the wrong house firstly. Secondly that they called back to say that they noticed that there were kids in the house and they were wondering if they were left alone.

You should be making a harassment complaint at this stage, anyway that they were at the wrong house and then had the cheek to call back to ask were you kids left alone.

@Triona. Social Media stalking is not allowed to be used by Social Workers as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP I’d let it go. In huge agencies like Tulsa and the HsE/Social Welfare ine hand does not know what the other does, and they certainly are not irganised they way you think wherw someone can make an inquiry like yours and get a definitive answer.

Few years back there was a single woman sitting in a car next door -after about an hour I challenged her & she said she was a social welfare inspector and showed me her ‘bdge’ and ahe was casing out who was living in the house a few doors down. She came back a few days in a row. Could be something like that. Equally it could have been A different section in tulsa who got their database details for a home
    check mixed up and printed the wrong name with the wrong address- a simple enough mistake to make.

I wouldn’t be worrying about it ,
    you have told your FB neighbours they will also now be on the lookout and ringing the gaurds if something is astray in the area, I would put it behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

STB. wrote: »
    @ OP. I guess you are not going to rest easy until you find out. I'm guessing that the HSE Social Workers are broken up into geographical regions for visits.

They are, and some regions are better resourced than others.
    @Triona. Social Media stalking is not allowed to be used by Social Workers as far as I am aware.

There’s nothing I’ve ever come across that says they’re prohibited from doing so if they have genuine concerns for a child’s welfare, but that’s a whole other topic.

@OP I would suggest you don’t attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.

In reality social workers as well trained as they are, will sometimes act without thinking, though they’re acting with the best of intentions. It’s entirely plausible that someone made an anonymous report with a genuine concern for your children’s welfare. In those circumstances social workers will, if they have the resources, call out to investigate.

The optics of what appeared to be your children alone in the house will give rise for greater concern in a situation where there is already a concern for their safety. At that point social workers are thinking more about the children’s safety than showing you their ID, so it’s entirely possible they were a bit lapse in following established procedures at that stage (the difference between learning the theory and putting it into practice is that they hope they’re never in a situation where they have to put the theory into practice).

I can’t guarantee any more than anyone else here can, that you won’t hear any more about it, response times vary greatly depending upon numerous different factors.

Whatever the outcome, and I mean this with the best of intentions, but might I suggest that to alleviate your anxiety somewhat, perhaps you could discuss with your husband a working arrangement where the children are under supervision at all times and aren’t left downstairs on their own. I would be suggesting that anyway even if this, what has to be said were an unfortunate and understandably frightening set of circumstances for you both, hadn’t happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I work in the PS but I'm not a sw or in the HSE. Our child protection officer within my job has advised us however to ring Tusla if we are doing calls and children appear to be 'home alone'.

I did call the gardai years ago when it appeared a toddler was on her own, and I was proved right.

Whether I would do it for older kids I don't know.

That is just arse cover in case something happened and it became known that a government caller came to the house.

Tusla are so incompetent and useless that the kid would be 21 by the time they got around to investigating. And then they would probably call to the wrong house too.

Tusla aren't going to give two seconds thought to random reports of kids left alone. Sure in this country children are allowed remain in abusive households with drunken and junkie parents. It is only in the very most extreme life or death cases are children are taken away - and it involves lengthly court proceedings and reports and pychologists and huge hoops to jump through.

Relax op, you are fine. Tusla are useless and toothless organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

As like garda a male and female are required

If you have a son and daughter then Male and female are required.

Why a male and a female? I thought 2 females would be enough to reduce and fear and eliminate the risk of suggestions of allegations.

There’s nothing I’ve ever come across that says they’re prohibited from doing so if they have genuine concerns for a child’s welfare, but that’s a whole other topic.

No its not for another topic.

Just because you have come across nothing, doesn't mean it is okay. Its far from okay infact. You can start by showing the investigatory power and the steps authorising surveillance that social workers have that override service users right to privacy. And its not just an ethical question, its a legal one.
    In reality social workers as well trained as they are, will sometimes act without thinking, though they’re acting with the best of intentions. It’s entirely plausible that someone made an anonymous report with a genuine concern for your children’s welfare. In those circumstances social workers will, if they have the resources, call out to investigate.

But that is not what occurred in this case. They were caught stalking out a member of the publics house. They then approached this person, two minutes after they had entered their house looking for a named person. From what I can tell no ID was shown.

They were told that they were at the wrong house. They then called back sometime later as they noticed there were kids in this house. They were not aware that there was another parent in the house. The complaint was not made about the person they had called into. They had no business calling back to that house. They over reached. They should have been told to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You can start by...

I can start by suggesting you take your own advice. I don’t owe you anything.

They should have been told to get lost.

I’m done here now.

I’m done here now.

Thanks for dropping by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mod

Attack the post, not the poster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement