Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get 2 pc monitors for Home Office

Options
  • 03-02-2020 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Work from home occasionally and setting up desktop pc with monitors.

Previously only had one monitor and gave it to parents.

Looking for 2 monitors decent size for work. Nothing massive and won't be doing any gaming.Both monitors connected to one desktop

In research mode now so googling as I type. Not sure how to set up 2 monitorsi on one desktop

Any suggestions recommdations where to get 2. No budget yet something mid range and decent.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Work from home occasionally and setting up desktop pc with monitors.

Previously only had one monitor and gave it to parents.

Looking for 2 monitors decent size for work. Nothing massive and won't be doing any gaming.Both monitors connected to one desktop

In research mode now so googling as I type. Not sure how to set up 2 monitorsi on one desktop

Any suggestions recommdations where to get 2. No budget yet something mid range and decent.

Cheers

https://www.amazon.fr/Dell-210-AFZC-LED-24-1920x1080/dp/B015P6O1US

Only 24" but a good size for 1080. Will be €170 for two with shipping on top.

Could go 1440p if your going to step up to 27".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.fr/Dell-210-AFZC-LED-24-1920x1080/dp/B015P6O1US

Only 24" but a good size for 1080. Will be €170 for two with shipping on top.

Could go 1440p if your going to step up to 27".

Thanks but waiting time for that is 1-2 months looking for something next few weeks as moving into new house soon

Still looking seen a few on adverts

Is it possible to get a larger screen and split this in 2 rather than having another monitor

Looking at options

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Some ultrawide screens have a "PBP" functionality, where you can run 2 cables from the graphics card to the screen and use is as if it were two screens side-by-side; Like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LS34J550WQUXEN-34-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B07J4CZYND/ref=asc_df_B07J4CZYND/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310818959688&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4905672433708696194&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-564406060541&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

It's a space-effective solution, but consider that in most cases it means you'll end up with two "pictures" which have odd resolutions and a more square aspect ratio than with two separate screens - unless you go for a high-end display, which will end up costing more than two good 1080p screens.

Being for work, best solution is probably the latter - you can get two of these by the end of the week:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VZ249HE-Monitor-Ultra-Slim-Certified/dp/B07281PZWK/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=1080p+24%22+monitor&qid=1580818195&s=computers&sr=1-19

Probably not needed, but do you have a discrete GPU on the desktop? Most integrated graphics don't have dual output for the screens...

H3llR4iser wrote: »

Being for work, best solution is probably the latter - you can get two of these by the end of the week:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VZ249HE-Monitor-Ultra-Slim-Certified/dp/B07281PZWK/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=1080p+24%22+monitor&qid=1580818195&s=computers&sr=1-19

Probably not needed, but do you have a discrete GPU on the desktop? Most integrated graphics don't have dual output for the screens...

Thanks

Desktop is over 7-8 years old but has Windows 10 and have been using laptop when working from home. Moving house so desktop still in storage

How can I check re Discrete GPU if it has it or not?

• Advertisement

Thanks

Desktop is over 7-8 years old but has Windows 10 and have been using laptop when working from home. Moving house so desktop still in storage

How can I check re Discrete GPU if it has it or not?

The rear of your PC should look roughly like this:

back-desktop-computer-motherboard-white-background-30284232.jpg

Colours and positions might vary, but the general arrangement usually stays. Check where the cable from the monitor goes - if it's into one of the "vertical" ports near the USB ones, you have integrated graphics. If it goes into an horizontal ""plate" similar to the one that, in this picture, has the white and blue connectors, you have a dedicated GPU.

Considering the age of the desktop, check it has at least two HDMI ports - some old graphics cards (like this in the picture) only have one.

Also - have you considered the idea of adding a single external display to the laptop and use its own integrated screen as a dual-screen setup?

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The rear of your PC should look roughly like this:

back-desktop-computer-motherboard-white-background-30284232.jpg

Colours and positions might vary, but the general arrangement usually stays. Check where the cable from the monitor goes - if it's into one of the "vertical" ports near the USB ones, you have integrated graphics. If it goes into an horizontal ""plate" similar to the one that, in this picture, has the white and blue connectors, you have a dedicated GPU.

Considering the age of the desktop, check it has at least two HDMI ports - some old graphics cards (like this in the picture) only have one.

Also - have you considered the idea of adding a single external display to the laptop and use its own integrated screen as a dual-screen setup?

Cheers need to check out Desktop and what ports etc it has not sure about HDMI as did not connect it via this prior

Was looking at the laptop option but rather keep that separate although I might try with one monitor for starters and see and later order second

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

+1 for an ultrawide and just use Windows 10s docking yoke to stick one thing one one side and one thing on another.

+1 for an ultrawide and just use Windows 10s docking yoke to stick one thing one one side and one thing on another.

That's an option in case you're stuck with only one output, yes, didn't think about it as I never really use it, but it can work.

How does it work?

Get a ultra wide monitor and i can split screen into two, that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

How does it work?

Get a ultra wide monitor and i can split screen into two, that correct?

Push one app to the left side it will pop-out taking up half the screen. Do the same on the otherside it will pop out taking the other half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQEEQQeQsGA

Push one app to the left side it will pop-out taking up half the screen. Do the same on the otherside it will pop out taking the other half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQEEQQeQsGA

Just realised work don't use Windows 10 so not sure if possible older versions of Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just realised work don't use Windows 10 so not sure if possible older versions of Windows?

They'll need to provide you with a PC to work from home then. Either that or you would have to downgrade your personal PC to 7 or whatever they use which I wouldn't do if I was you.

If they've provided you with the laptop it will have a video out port you should be able to connect to two monitors using a Molex splitter.

I'd also be pushing for them to provide the monitors tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Fccwontletmebe

So you have a work laptop? Can you VPN in?
    How do you connect your laptop to screens in work? Docking station?

Ideally you should at least get a docking station from work and expense back the monitors or let them provide them to you.

I log in via browser and it mirrors pc in work. It's not every day I work from home maybe 1-2 days a month or if a situation aries at home.I currently use laptop but now have spare room for home office thus going to use desktop.

I like the ultrawide monitor for neatness but they seem expensive €300+ unless any other suggestions to buy online.

2 monitors best budget option for the amount of times I work from home

Just wondering any good monitors that can be used as TV also.

For the amount of times I work from home maybe worth getting one that can be used as TV also hook it up to virgin box or saorview etc

Any suggestions

For the amount of times I work from home maybe worth getting one that can be used as TV also hook it up to virgin box or saorview etc

Any suggestions

Any monitor will work connected to a TV box as long as they do have at least one HDMI port. Getting the sound of of them might be tricky if they have no build in speakers - although most screens now have a headphone jack, to which bog standard PC speakers can be easily connected.

The other way around - a TV used as a monitor - is much, much trickier; Many TVs, even modern 4k ones, don't really have the necessary DPI (as in, how many pixels fit in a square inch) to be good PC monitors. On top of that, TVs are usually calibrated to show bigger, more dynamic pictures at the expense of fine detail (generally, video material has a degree of motion blur that'd make extreme detail rendering useless anyway), while monitors are calibrated to be accurate displaying pixel-precise images, such as text; As a result, most TVs will be very ill fitted at displaying, for example a webpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Any suggestions

Any monitor can be connected to a virgin box or Saorview box or Firestick etc, they will display anything they get through HDMI or USB input they just won't have a built in tv tuner.

Cheers

Might just leave it as just a monitor

Looking for decent reasonable priced ultrawide monitor

Advertisement