Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EP3 Civic Type R - clean up

Options
  • 29-11-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi.

I thought that I'd post a thread with the clean up work I've done on my Type R since I bought it a few weeks ago & get some feedback & advice. :)

I'm really only looking to get it back to stock & have it as clean as possible so don't expect and major engine work etc.

I don't have a lot of experience working on cars so this is really my first attempt at anything like this but I'm really enjoying learning as I go.

Anyway here's a few pics of the engine bay when I bought the car first & my progress to date.

tbWTHN.jpg
    xVDGwH.jpg
    Ojo3jp.jpg
    NIrETx.jpg
    VtC74a.jpg
    u7cBw9.jpg
    saIOHE.jpg
    NViSHm.jpg
    M5UUnH.jpg
    Nfyv16.jpg
    rwBEGL.jpg
    YmJZRS.jpg
    7yFxbf.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Markaa

v9S35A.jpg
    cty3Pm.jpg
    FiIdVc.jpg
    d6YAGy.jpg
    Gbtj92.jpg
    2FZFrP.jpg
    P1yE4J.jpg
    yRaDWs.jpg
    cbQvuy.jpg
    5Ax3eX.jpg
    LF8iIz.jpg
    aZBa74.jpg
    7XKOmN.jpg
    ajYoHo.jpg

Started cleaning up a few bits around the bay & did my best to get as much rust as possible off the battery tie so I could paint it & make it look half decent! Also put a few of the nuts & bolts in vinegar overnight & cleaned off the rust the next morning with a stiff bristle brush - give it a try it worked really well (make sure you clean off the vinegar & I also degreased & sprayed with some WD40 before going back on the car)

Yw62ZL.jpg
    tJCryw.jpg
    mjw3kE.jpg
    FZ94T0.jpg
    Q3kyKj.jpg
    MGcbpG.jpg
    e7x5TX.jpg
    kFoMLx.jpg

Gave the rest of the bay a good scrub & next was the rocker cover. I used VHT red wrinkle paint & was delighted with the results. Also changed out the gaskets etc as I think the old one was on it's last legs. Apologies for the poor pics of the final product but it was dark by the time i finished up!

JRJAGI.jpg
    CQMrTT.jpg
    9FztqZ.jpg
    Z41eQS.jpg
    YsUId1.jpg
    uGuYmZ.jpg
    iEsPhc.jpg
    tWTrYQ.jpg
    RJCHUv.jpg
    ierMQd.jpg
    dbMdP0.jpg
    HWRjBf.jpg
    0cNuiY.jpg

9nhguc.jpg
    97KccQ.jpg

One in daylight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Fantastic job Markaa.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very nicely done and I'm impressed with the wrinkle finish on your valve cover. I tried similar on a B series one and it came out arseways.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks I'm delighted with how it looks now. Sorry about the terrible quality of some of the pics but the hosting site make them look like ****e. Here's a before and after to show the difference side by side..

Wibbs wrote: »
    Very nicely done and I'm impressed with the wrinkle finish on your valve cover. I tried similar on a B series one and it came out arseways.

Cheers its actually not too hard to get right but you just have to patient. Heat is the key to getting a good wrinkle effect. I swept out the whole garage before spraying as I knew I'd be lightly drying with a heat gun & the little portable rad! Check out some YouTube videos they go into some good detail. Here's a better Pic of the rocker cover finished

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Markaa wrote: »
    THere's a before and after to show the difference side by side..
    Jaysus, that's some improvement alright. :)
    Cheers its actually not too hard to get right but you just have to patient. Heat is the key to getting a good wrinkle effect. I swept out the whole garage before spraying as I knew I'd be lightly drying with a heat gun & the little portable rad! Check out some YouTube videos they go into some good detail. Here's a better Pic of the rocker cover finished
    Fair play M. Especially in this weather. That looks better than most I've seen online and off and looks bloody close to the stock finish. Dunno why Honda's original paint is so damned delicate. You only have to look at it crossways and it chips.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...that's brilliant - how did you get all the black plastic back to that condition - especially with all the nooks & crannies ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

While their valve covers go mouldy with the slightest breeze(and their paint finishes can be variable) I have found Honda's plastics can polish up like new even decades on. I've always used the autoglym plastic and rubber spray and found it did a great job.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...that's brilliant - how did you get all the black plastic back to that condition - especially with all the nooks & crannies ?

Cheers. The most important step was the first one - I used a hairdryer and some small brushes to loosen all of the dirt and dust before starting the wet clean. After that it's just cleaning in as much detail as possible with brushes and towels. One good tip for the tight areas is to wrap the thin end of a toothbrush in a microfibre towel and you should reach everywhere you need to! I cleaned all of the rubbers and plastics first and then coated with rubber/plastic protector.. Just make sure it's a water based one as dirt sticks to the greasier ones and the finish won't last long! Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Thanks I'm delighted with how it looks now. Sorry about the terrible quality of some of the pics but the hosting site make them look like ****e. Here's a before and after to show the difference side by side..

That is incredible

Advertisement