Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway traffic

Comments

You pretty much nailed it. Each time a RAB was removed there was loads of complaining and then things calmed down.

I haven't been through this junction in a long while so I can't speak to its current setup but from what I saw in the schematic in the papers it's not the final layout, at least it doesn't look like the layout that was in the planning documents.

There's the usual bedding in period with each of these junctions as they fine tune the layouts, light sequences etc so I'd say you haven't heard the last of the complaining yet

There were changes from the initial plan following consultation - mostly around access to and from the Menlo / Coolough road.

Haven't been in town in a while to try it.

Link to alternative final layout? I thought they were calling this done.

My apologies, when I went to look back at the older drawings versus the new ones, they've flipped them 90 degrees. In the recesses of my brain I was expecting a different layout.

It is indeed the final layout. In other news, a taxi driving councilor doesn't approve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Those new lights at the Menlo Park hotel will cause absolute chaos when traffic ramps up again in September. Crazy stuff, badly planned and designed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I've been using the new junction at Menlo a good bit since it opened, never really had a problem with it but yesterday the traffic was backed up to the bridge around 5pm and when I got to the junction cars going out the Headford road were almost meeting the back of the cars stopped at the 2nd set of lights they installed for Menlo traffic.

They need to sort that out before September or else it will be absolute chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭buzz11

Good question -- the traffic light sequences on my regular route never seem to change and the small cameras are always pointing the same way...I think your onto something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Those lights are definitely one of the main problems. The light for turning from Coolough Rd should be very short and the Headford Rd should be on a longer priority.

Google Maps road layout is updated for the new junction now, however the traffic data is still shown on the roundabout layout!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

Great article mentioning a US example of a failure resulting from car-centric city planning.

When I heard about this plan I posted sarcastically on social media that Robert Moses had been the consultant involved.

Moses was the most powerful unelected official in New York for over 50 years, a civil servant who built bridges and highways all over that city and state, and whose staggering career is the subject of one of the greatest non-fiction books of all time, The Power Broker by Robert Caro.

Moses came to power in the twenties and was a powerful force for five decades, but his works are now linked with the savage deterioration of the standard of living in New York during the seventies, when the fruits of his policies came home to roost. Isolated communities couldn’t access services and facilities, while once-thriving neighbourhoods which had literally been slashed in two by motorways became violent ghettoes.

Michael Moynihan: Another dual carriageway looms as we battle to keep green space in the city (irishexaminer.com)

To me it seems that the NTA & councils (not just GCC) are following outdated US city planning model which is 50 years behind current European way of thinking & city planning practice. This was indeed confirmed by a source who has dealings with the GCC planning policies as part of their daily work...

What needs to change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

On light-rail

It's not personal at all, I don't care who you are, but you come across as having an agenda. I'd like to ask you to stop actively campaigning against light-rail on this thread including but not limited to shutting down an open discussion about it 😃.

...seeing as its not going to be built before the 2040's (if we're very lucky).

This your last sentence didn't confirm that you're "1000% supporting light-rail", quite contrary. It was unnecessary. Let's leave it there.

Let's run through your PT options

I have a sustainable transport preference which includes walking, cycling, bus, light rail & train.

Walking & cycling will never gain a significant modal shift in Galway given:

• Climate
    • Suburban sprawl
    • Car-dependent culture (people "spoilt" by and used to cars)
    • Decades of car centric city planning
    • Bigoted Council & NTA further hampering the planning in favour of these two modes

Whilst walking & cycling should be propagated and designed for in any liveable city as much as possible (at least in its extended centre), its not realistic to expect a significant % of people to use this mode in Galway. So it's out of question in terms of core PT strategy as the main mode.

Train could be an important part of the PT strategy, but not in Galway City. I would question that given the poor shape of Iarnod Eireann including low railway density (compared to Europe) whether this is a viable option to be part of core PT policy in Galway City. I don't think it is. Saying that, in Europe you would have at least one more stop in a situation similar to between Oranmore and Galway Station e.g. in Renmore and/or Roscam in the local context. The same goes for dual track, in urban context it would be certainly dual-track from Oranmore if not Athenry. That should be explored as an addition to the PT strategy, but it's nothing major or significant in terms of PT within the city boundaries.

So then you're left with either bus or light-rail as any realistic option for the bulk of the traffic and as the core of the PT strategy. As I explained earlier, light-rail has a much higher chance of success of bringing the modal shift in a car-dependent population (it has a better user experience), it is faster, it has lower space requirement than 2x bus lanes, it has higher throughput and it allows planning ahead along with city planning (and grow the city in conjunction). Bus fails on all these aspects.

I bet all my money that if you keep aiming at "BusConnects" you'll get a mediocre bus network in the end with the same issues as now by the time it's done and the car traffic volumes will be much higher and more unsustainable. You will be again be caught in a reactive mode trying to catch up to further sprawl/growth and won't achieve any significant modal shift. I.e. you will be in the same situation as now, again trying to react to unsustainable volume of traffic and behind European standard of PT. PT build around buses is good for provincial towns but not for a sustainable city of this size.

The BusConnects are only a distraction by the heavily car-lobby influenced NTA & councils to throw a little bone to the PT supporters in my opinion. In the end it will be a half-baked implementation and car will rule further in the city planning and design. With BusConnects car-driven design can still dominate via a backdoor - they both use roads. Whereas if you put light-rail in the core of the PT strategy, this directly challenges car-driven design as the road simply has to be released for rail track. It's a change of paradigm.

Light-rail well integrated into city planning and built ahead to the areas of future growth is the only answer for a sustainable PT in Galway. Galway should strive, campaign for and implement a proper sustainable solution not some mediocre patched up bus network. Anyone who does is to be commended – all respect to Catherine Connolly for doing that for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What is the difference between light-rail and train?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Ryan committing to anything is a complete waste he was never any good in any job he had he is all talk. Light rail in Galway will never happen imo population is to small to support it and the cost would be massive. Frequent and a fast cross City bus service is the only way and use the Quin Bridge, there has been a very big increase of new buses in Galway recently and you don't have to wait long for one now trouble is there is no room in the City for bus lanes so where is the space for train tracks going to come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Is there anything to be said for a monorail? I hear North Haverbrook have one and you never hear them complain about traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

It will certainly be a challenge to get significant modal shift to walking and cycling but I wouldn't say it will never happen. Copenhagan, Oslo, Helsinki and Amsterdam all have to deal with climates that might be viewed as at least as challenging as Galway, some more so, but have all achieved significant increases in cycling modal share.

Low density is definitely a hurdle that has more significance in Galway but we're still a small city. Most of the city is still within 6km of the main secondary schools and if we could get a significant percentage of the secondary school students cycling to school that would eliminate a huge number of car journeys. This would be easier to achieve than a general modal shift because many parents, if they believed cycling was safe, would be happier not having to act as chauffeurs for those journeys, and many kids would value the extra independence it gives them.

The entrenched culture, both of the authorities and current drivers, is indeed a huge hurdle but culture can change (gradually). People grow older, and retire, young people who cycled to school will be more inclined to cycle to work. It's encouraging to see the changes that can happen when someone like Owen Keegan or Robert Burns get into senior positions in a Dublin local authority. Sure, not many people who live in Barna are going to be willing to cycle to Parkmore, but those who move into Augustine Hill and/or who work in Bonham Quay, are going to find the choosing not to drive a car on a daily basis is a much more realistic option.

Change will be slow but the momentum is there from other cities and countries and Galway won't be unaffected by that. Increased cycling and walking will happen here too but, as with many other things, Galway will be dragged along kicking and screaming and not, unfortunately, leading the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Good post Unrealisitic, there is no Silver bullet.

I always say - if weather is such barrier, why is there such differences between certain parts of the City when it comes to walking and cycling. The CSO stats show this. Is really far more wind and rain in Knocknacarra v's Salthill or is it just that the older parts of City were designed with walking and cycling in mind? (Salthill has high walking and cycling stats for people commuting to work and education)

Perhaps Salthill is a lot closer to educational institutions (it even hosts one/two) and has a lot more rental housing occupied by people in education, and lacks public transport options?

My website gets regular queries from people looking for a bus between Salthill and NUIG, especially the north end of the campus. Whereas there's there's three city-bus-services from Knocknacarra to NUIG, and two go through to GMIT as well

• Advertisement

Another damning major climate change report today. Can the proposed ring road, that is projected to move people away from public and active travel, really be approved in the next 3 weeks amid these reports and a declared climate emergency...?

"TII stated that approximately 26,000 tonnes of CO2 would be generated by the proposed road in the opening year, and 35,800 tonnes by 2039 “with the main contributory factor being an increase in vehicle kilometres travelled”.

The document also projected that modal share for peak hour car commuting would increase to 67.3% by 2039, while just 5% of all commutes would be by bus. The modal share for cycle commuting would reduce, decreasing to 2.8% in 2039."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

ah yes. the mantra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭ThePentagon

Great response to the parking survey for Salthill. Looks like the council are going through the motions to get the bike lanes in

Jaysus, 2,000 caught for speeding in such a short time. I think it's time for Galway to adopt a 30kph limit and roll out speed cameras on all routes to enforce it.

Why not just install speed cameras with the existing speed limits?

• Advertisement

2 birds

The 30k limit is coming regardless. Only reason it's not implemented already is the roads dept bundled a load of speed limit increases in city roads which the councillors rejected. Problem was it was an all or nothing vote.

Some good news. Construction should start early next year. Once this is built, a lot of things will happen re: bus connects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It wont change much, seeing as they still have to keep 1 footpath on the salmon weir as its a protected view.

Desperate missed opportunity for a road bridge there instead to eliminate that bendy junction behind courthouse, and then pedestrianise the salmon weir bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

exactly, short sighted nature yet again. All because its cheaper and to be seen doing something....

• Advertisement

It's hardly going to make that much difference is it? Aren't they closing the road to general traffic and making it PT and local access only? If they are the volume of traffic going over it is going to be pretty low so bends and footpaths won't make too much difference

Yup, buses and bikes only, possibly taxis too, but I hope not

building a pedestrian bridge but yet still going to allow pedestrians use the other bridge, right - makes sense.

The plan is to make it local access, buses taxis etc, so low volume of vehicles going over so why build a new pedestrian bridge then?

Because at low volumes, traffic moves faster, meaning it's actually harder for a pedestrians to cross the road.

Think it's only one footpath being kept and the paths are only wide enough for about 1.5 people anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Traffic on a Friday.

Galway simply does not have the space for the volume of cars (not buses, trucks,etc) that want to use the roads and spaces. When will car-dependency people realise that they are the traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

When the Mary Elmes footbridge was built across the North Lee channel in Cork in 2019, the footpaths were left on the road bridges either side of it.

Presumably many people will decide to use this new footbridge instead, at least some of the time. I certainly will be. I suppose some will insist on using the existing bridge where it means saving about 30 seconds, depending on their route.

That said: If I were heading into the city centre from the University, I'd need to cross over by the Cathedral if I wanted to use this new bridge. As I recall, the nearest pedestrian crossing is back up the road, between the two University entrances. That might suit some people, but not me (if and when I get back to the office). So another pedestrian crossing may be required to complement the new bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭klr87

That's certainly been my experience over the years. It's a lot easier to cross that bridge during rush hour than when the traffic is moving freely.

with the bridge gonna be made a bus lane only in both directions, why the need for the pedestrian bridge..... its just gonna be buses taxis and maybe local traffic if they are allowed. waste of money.

Because its a fatality waiting to happen for pedestrians. 2 people walking in opposite directions do not have space to pass one another without one of them going on to the road

• Advertisement

Then put the bridge traffic controlled allowing one way traffic for those that use bus lanes, example like the bridge in athenry.

cheaper than building a pedestrian bridge that will be half used.

There are solutions but a pedestrian bridge is not one of them.

Cheaper isn't always better

exactly my point, if your gonna build a bridge it should be a road bridge and then pedestrianise salmon weir.

That's patently untrue. I was on the bridge today, walking across with my toddler and observed many people passing each other same side. We even let someone pass us on the outside of the path as we were relatively slow paced.

Now if you'd said a buggy can't pass a pedestrian then ya that'd be largely true. But two pedestrians face to face have no issue unless both are morbidly obese.

Why though? You haven't really given a good reason. And it would probably be a lot more expensive to build a new bridge for cars and buses than to build one for people

I have and

Cheaper isn't always better

Oh right so. That's that explained. Clear as mud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yes this is potentially true, there have been pedestrians struck by bus mirrors here when walking on the footpaths at this location when having to walk two abreast.

On a side note - just because a Council Engineer starts off his blurb "the junction is now safer for pedestrians and cyclists" - it does not mean that the junction was changed for that purpose. All the N6 Roundabout replacements have been about traffic throughput and giving priority to the N6 Corridor, the TII have funded it after all. It may have made certain arms of these junctions "safer" for pedestrians and cyclists to use but it was never the main purpose of the replacement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement