Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great win for Corofin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i stand corrected mr clareman i expected a little more from eire og , great call , i am one of the joe garry brigade that gets overexcited when it comes to clare football ,

great win by corofin , really good side but i still think kildysart are better then most senior teams and will really be kicking themselves , corofin will have a huge chance in the final now against jack barrys lads

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Disappointing performance from Eire Og conceded two soft goals which they hadn't being doing all year and lack of fire power up front and a recognised free taker came back to bite them. Still don't think Finbarrs are all that and it's Stacks to lose.

Eire Ogs first venture into munster in nearly 15 years, the experience will stand to them. Think they are well ahead of what's in the county if they keep the heads right.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭caddy16

Yeah awfully disappointing, the soft goals as you say and some dubious decisions cost them. It will be interesting to see how Finbarrs fare out in the munster final but based on yesterday I'd be surprised if they came out on top.

Eire Og have the potential to go on and put a couple of county titles back to back but they need a bigger scoring threat.

• Advertisement

Eire Og have some great players but they'll struggle to have any kind of dominance without growing their squad, they have a lot of players on both the hurling and football teams and their second teams aren't going too great, although their under 21 footballers are in the A final on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Clare senior hurlers had a good workout against a University of Limerick Fitzgibbon Cup team over the weekend. I expect that the like of Robin Mounsey, Cian Galvin, Shane Meehan et al will all be involved v Waterford in the Munster league cup semi final at Cusack Park with a Saturday afternoon 1:30 pm throw in time. Any word on whether we will see Peter Duggan involved with the Clare senior hurlers this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭letowski

Michael Verney reported today in the Indo that Peter Duggan has returned to the panel, which is a huge boost.

Aidan McCarthy is touch and go for the championship unfortunately after a serious workplace accident.

Hopefully we have good availability of players this year, it seems every year we down a big name or too before a ball is pucked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Duggan it seems not named on the squad for today.

but the first 15 named is strong, could easily see around 10 of those starting come championship time

Clare Team v Waterford

1. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)
    2. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones)
    3. Conor Cleary (St Joseph’s Miltown)
    4. Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)
    5. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)
    6. Jason McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    7. David McInerney (Tulla)
    8. Jack Browne (Ballyea)
    9. Paddy Donnellan (Broadford)
    10. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)
    11. David Reidy (Éire Óg)
    12. Shane Golden (Sixmilebridge)
    13. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)
    14. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones)
    15. Gary Cooney (O’Callaghan’s Mills)

Substitutes

1. Éamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    2. Shane Meehan (Banner)
    3. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)
    4. Darragh Lohan (Wolfe Tones)
    5. Ian Galvin (Clonlara)
    6. Domhnall McMahon (Michael Cusack’s)
    7. Colm Galvin (Clonlara)
    8. Aaron Fitzgerald (Éire Óg)
    9. Darren O’Brien (Éire Óg)
    10. Mike Gough (Smith O’Brien’s)
    11. Cian Broderick (Clarecastle)

• Advertisement

Who will be taking the frees ?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭supernova5

cant understand why Lohan didn't experiment, give a run out to a big portion of the extended panel, thats what games of this nature should be used for, opportunity lost

Maybe due to more compressed season ? Need to find your form earlier.

you’re permitted 11 substitutions so I guess lads will get a run in the second half.

Reidy on the frees

Typical Munster League game. Probably Waterford are getting more out of it with a newer team and trying to go for goals more. Rodgers has looked very good in the first half when we get him good ball. But our distribution into the inside line has been erratic though. But it’s only January. I’d like to see young Meehan get a good run. We should also be looking at getting another player gametime at full back, because I’m not sure have we much of a backup plan if Cleary were to get injured.

Is David Fitzgerald going to be available for the team this year?

Overall a useful run-out and a chance to play (probably) Limerick next weekend.

We seem to have a lot of competition in the forward line which is healthy. You have the 6 starting forwards from today who all scored, and subs Meehan and I.Galvin looking very sharp (Meehan came on and scored 1-3). Plus the lads missing - TK, SOD, A.McCarthy and potentially also Duggan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

A large crowd is expected based on attendance of both semi-finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

It ll be interesting to see what team Limerick put out. They only had Barry Nash from the All Ireland winning team playing yesterday. Yeah interesting game. What Clare dont need is a hammering and I dont think they will get hammered. Clare will hang in there better than other teams and the players know one another . Derby game. Now they ll lose ,that's fairly certain no matter what team they put out but id like to see something they can build on.. start Meehan,Gough and a few more.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

If Clare again start with the strongest available team, and if Limerick start with the same 15 that played v Kerry, then I think Clare certainly have a chance of winning.

The question is whether Limerick bring back any of the big guns.

The game being in Ennis also helps for Clare.

Sold out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

What level of hurling would Clancy play with St. Josephs Milltown?

Any one know if Clare/Lim game will be available as a live streaming?

Streamsport are doing it again

https://page.inplayer.com/streamsportireland/item.html?id=1833109 shows on there schedule

Also a really quick Google would turn up the Munster gaa page with all the info you need

https://munster.gaa.ie/event/2022-co-op-superstores-munster-hurling-cup-final/

thanks sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mitsubishi2005

He plays with Kilmaley senior

St Josephs Miltown only big ball

Clare could win this. I dont see limerick having more than 2 or 3 regulars playing on Sunday. Its a great game for Clare to have so early in the Season. And I think limerick would like to test their young fellas against the likes of David McInerney ect. The biggest difference between limerick and the rest is not their size..they are huge mobile men. Its their cohesion and teamwork. They all do their jobs.. Clare still do bad passing at times and some still don't know how to give a good pass...but the penny has dropped and I like what I saw against the Deise.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Limerick's B team still play an amazing brand of hurling where they swarm the ball carrier and then play intelligent ball on the turnover, if we're to have any hope on Sunday we'll have to score as many goal chances as comes our way because if we're as loose with our possession as we were against Waterford we'll be in for a long day.

Davy Mc and Taylor come in for Lohan and Shanagher from the Waterford team. But there is rumours there might be 1 or 2 cases in the panel so they might not line out like that.

Limerick with just the 3 AI final starters still have a top class team. Players like English, Coughlan, O'Niell, Reidy, Pat Ryan, etc are good starters at this level. Just an embarressment of riches.

Looking forward to the game, nice to have another outing. It's doesn't surprise me really there is good interest in tickets for the game. Unless your interested in the rugby, its good to get out of the house for the afternoon.

• Advertisement

Definately it's good to get out of the house. I was planning on going to the rugby beacuse I see Wasps going all out to win, but I ll go to Ennis instead. The 3000 extra tickets are nearly gone already.

I'm not sure Lohan has experimented enough so far. Id have liked to have seen more of Aaron Fitz and Cian Galvin, Mike Gough. Ryan Taylor will obviously play out around midfield. It's a great test for the half backline. Hegartys first game back and the Clare half backs playing well. I think it ll be a nip n tuck game. I dont see either side standing back from this. Jerome Boylan is a great bit of stuff and English on Rodgers is a great test for the Scarriff man after scoring a hat trick mid week. He ll earn it against English.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

What a remarkable achievement by Tulla, as a small rural school, getting to the Harty Cup final. Well done to everyone involved there.

yea brilliant result for the Tulla school, looks like they will really be up against in the final, Ardscoil Ris with a whopping 15 points to spare over a strongly fancied Thurles Cbs in their semi final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Hi folks. Anyone know if i can buy a ticket outside Cusack Pk tomorrow.

The 5000 limit is gone (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

When is the Harty Cup final on?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

• Advertisement

I'd say the Harty final will be on in either Cusack Park or the TUS Gaelic Grounds. They ll probably toss for it . Unbelievable result for Tulla. The schools they've knocked out DLS..1400 boys...CBC about the same ,although a predominantly rugby school. And fermoy.. Wow. Iv heard lots about Withycombe..must be a good player.

Ard Scoil have a decent Clare representation as per normal. 2 starting from Sixmilebridge..Kennedy is a very good corner forward ,Flynn corner back and then you have the centre forward from Broadford. Goalie is from Clonlara and lots of Clare Subs. They are a strong side..O Brien from Kilmallock is Unbelievable and the Na Piarsaigh lads are very well coached. But Ard Scoil are no better than Fermoy..who Tulla have already beaten..What a game in store.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

was able to get a viewing of the Ardscoil Ris full squad, as far I can tell there are 13 Clare players in that squad of 32

seems as though Tulla depend a lot on Withycombe for their scores,

Yeah a good spread..Unusual to see a Newmarket-upon-Fergus player in the subs for Ard Scoil.Great for Clare that all these guys are getting exposure. Limerick had only one school in the Harty this year..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

This is going to be a rout.

What's very dissappointing is Clare structures have completely collapsed, puckouts, distribution, passing, etc. Discipline is atroious. Limerick obviously the better team, better coached, better prepared. But just a dissappointing performance and effort in front of a good crowd.

Yeah hard to take too many positives out of that. A few good performances ..Ryan was decent wing back but he can't shoot everything he gets his hand on.. Played well overall. Full back line did OK considering the ball that was coming in. Limerick did what they do..destroyed the centre of the field. Jason McCarthy was so poor and the whole half forward line was roasted. Shane Golden is way off, not good enough. Rodgers was very good, we could have got a goal or two but the game was over at half time . Clare are miles behind but they know what they have to do. Gough was decent...Cleary was steady..Malones shooting was shocking

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree. The one worry I think looking ahead though, and Brian Lohan alluded to it in his post game interview, is that there is a share of key players now that have long term injuries, that will be unavailable for large parts of the league maybe could stretch into championship. Looking at it there, obviously Kelly and Conlon are dealing with their respective injuries, and will miss some of the league. Aidan McCarthy is touch and go for the championship itself. Shane O'Donnell said in a recent interview he will take the preseason/league slowly, which is fair enough. Peter Duggan is also supposedly injured too now. I'm not sure for how long, but he of all the players on the panel needs gametime at this level given he has been away from the game for two years now.

Yesterday was a stark reminder both in terms of how much work we have to do, but also how we don't have great depth in the panel. But with the early start to the championship this year, and a plethora of key players injured, there is that danger we could be undercooked going into the championship. It's worrying, I suppose we will see how we fare in a fortnight below in Cork and take it from there. But I think Clare are going to need players like Rodgers, Meehan, Donnellan, maybe Cian Galvin, guys like this to come through. Crotty looked good when he got introduced, still just 18. I think if we can our best players on the field come championship, we will be ok, but we still need young lads coming through.

Yeah I agree with you. I think we will ha e a decent team come Championship. I thought they might even beat Limerick yesterday. But that was pure fantasy. They won't be beating Limerick this year.

Aaron Fitz was poor aswell.. his hurling needs serious work. Conlon probably has to go back centre back now. Although I'd try McCarthy there awhile longer.Peter Duggan really needs alot of games to get him up to speed and there's no guarantee that he'll be in great form. Shane O Donnell is badly needed aswell. It's the weakest panel in Munster ,no doubt about that but our starting 15 is good but if people didn't realise how far off we are yesterday was a good indicator

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

How will Clare line out Sunday against Offaly, I will have a stab at the following without any information on injuries.

Stephen Ryan

Manus Doherty, Cillian Brennan, Connor Jordan.

Ciaran Russell, Conal O Hanefien, Pearse Lillis

Darragh Bohannon, Cathal O'Connor

Eoin Cleary, Jamie Malone, Emmet McMahon

Keelan Sexton, David Tubridy, Cian O'Dea

When you see that 15, it looks pretty impressive.

We're at home and would be slight favorites going into this game, with Offaly coming up from Div 3.

A win here could be valuable by the end of the league, so we need to make sure of it.

I think O'Hanefein hasn't committed to the panel this season. Jordan and Malone just back from club duty so may not feature. A chance for a few others I suppose.

Good start to the league for the footballers , but plenty to work on , offaly looked good for the first 25 minutes racing into a 0-5 to 0-1 lead with a strong wind at their backs , but could only manage 2 more scores for the rest of the game and one point from play ,

manus doherty made his clare debut after a fine championship with eire og , and dispite his man kicking 3 fine scores , he had a brillient first outing ,keelan sexton , cillian brennan eoin cleary , pearse lillis were all excellent too in fainrness ,

offaly have some really good tallent coming through but they could struggle this year on todays performance , other then bernard allen they looked poor up front , niall mcnamee and anton sullivan were both substuted at half time , cormac egan and Jack Bryant will come good in time but today wast really their day when they came on

Ya Offaly have a bright future but they came up against an experienced div 2 side today and were beaten without too much fuss. Hard to see them surviving on this showing. It won't be plain sailing for Clare either, this division is cut throat, but a solid win and 2 points on the table and plus the experience that has been banked from previous seasons at this level will hopefully be enough for Clare to survive. Thought Cian O Dea was excellent too today.

He did as always some engine in the man he covers some ground Russell did well too before taking off

Really good to see a Clare football side so comfortable at this level not panicking when behind though

Next week is another interesting one , it will be close in my opinion ,I don't see anyone separating Galway and Roscommon at the top of the league but it would be nice to get up the table a bit more , would be great to be going into the break on 4 points

Looks like Colm Galvin has now announced his retirement from intercounty, due to persistent injuries. A real class act in his day, great to take a long-range score.

Added to all the other injuries we have at present, to key players, how are we set for the league?

We start this weekend playing Cork in Cork which is a pretty tough start.

I think it's Wexford, Offaly, Limerick and Galway also in our group.

Unreal by Tulla. Congrats to everybody involved!

• Advertisement
Advertisement