Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Note 9 from Adverts.ie - Blacklisted in the UK

Options
  • 20-02-2020 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I bought a Galaxy Note 9 from a seller on Adverts.ie who has a phone shop in Dublin 1. I won't name them just yet. This was about a year ago. Still have the hand written receipt and box etc.

I drove up North about 6 months ago and my phone just wouldn't pick up service never really though much of it. I drove up again last week and same story. I came across an IMEI blacklist checker online last week. I stuck my IMEI and my phone is blacklisted. Probably why it's not working in the UK.

I've contacted the seller 3 times politely through adverts messaging service, with no response when they've been online.

Besides the fact, I'm using stolen property I've now started working up the North a couple of days a week so this has become quite an inconvenience.

What do I do here, or what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sorry to hear that, very annoying indeed. I think I know the shop you're talking about and I've bought an S8+ from them a few years ago with no issues.
    Your best option is to go into them and ask for a refund/replacement, if they aren't forthcoming you can tell them you'll take them to the small claims court. See here and here for more info. Definitely do your research before you talk to them so they know you're not bluffing them.
    For anyone else thinking of buying from phone shops like this always check the imei online before leaving the store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

username?! wrote: »
    Hi All,

I bought a Galaxy Note 9 from a seller on Adverts.ie who has a phone shop in Dublin 1. I won't name them just yet. This was about a year ago. Still have the hand written receipt and box etc.

I drove up North about 6 months ago and my phone just wouldn't pick up service never really though much of it. I drove up again last week and same story. I came across an IMEI blacklist checker online last week. I stuck my IMEI and my phone is blacklisted. Probably why it's not working in the UK.

I've contacted the seller 3 times politely through adverts messaging service, with no response when they've been online.

Besides the fact, I'm using stolen property I've now started working up the North a couple of days a week so this has become quite an inconvenience.

What do I do here, or what can I do?

Just go to their shop say you want a full refund. If they dont give it, ring the local Garda barracks from the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

How do you know that it was stolen?

If you mention the store, that would be defamation.

Blacklisted can be due to a phone being lost. It could also have been stolen but sold on to where you bought it in good faith - exactly as you bought it.

So without absolute proof of what you are alledging, I would not even make a suggestion of wrongdoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Darc19 wrote: »

Blacklisted can be due to a phone being lost. It could also have been stolen but sold on to where you bought it in good faith - exactly as you bought it.

So without absolute proof of what you are alledging, I would not even make a suggestion of wrongdoing.

If it was stolen or lost it wouldn't come with a box..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

If it was stolen or lost it wouldn't come with a box..
    It could. Someone order a phone through a company and it was not delivered the company would block the phone. Or a breakin in at a shop and a number of phones stolen, packaging included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Most shops in Dublin 1/2 that sell on adverts/donedeal mostly sell blacklisted phones, thats how they make money. They give you hand written receipts as they are not paying any tax on these sales. None of those shops will give you a tax invoice as they are selling them off the record.

In some cases when you ask for it, they will say the phone will cost 200-300 more with tax invoice , this will put all buyers off as the price would not be very good anymore.

These shops get UK blacklisted phones, insurance claims etc and sell them here. These are mostly brand new sealed. Most people dont check IMEIs as long as their sim card works. If you ask any of them if the phone works in UK, they will ignore, withdraw the ad or simply block you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ahaaa....that would explain why my older phone wouldn't work in the UK.

A certain store near Nandos?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Another thing to mention about checking IMEI numbers is cross check what is on the box vs what is in the about phone menu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Another thing to mention about checking IMEI numbers is cross check what is on the box vs what is in the about phone menu
    This is a very good point I got stung before Luckily not huge money and phone worked here but not UK. When I collected phone I checked IMEI on box and all was good. When to UK on weekend break and phone wouldn’t work . Different number on box and phone and was black listed in UK.

Yep, one of the first things I do when buying second hand. It's very good logic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Not just this, for Samsung phones, most of which have IMEI on back glass also, make sure this matches the one inside the phone.

The IMEIs can be changed so they can remove a blacklisted IMEI and replace it with an old nokia or something. On IMEI checkers this will show up.

I have come across such phones from those shops. The IMEI on back glass is different to the one inside the phone and when I checked the IMEI online it belonged to a HTC Wildfire and not a Galaxy S9 which it was in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Darc19 wrote: »

Only if it is untrue

Advertisement