Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Recall that in 2011, John drove his car to Dun Laoghaire to buy a sandwich in Marks and Spencer. Unfortunately....
    I saw him walking along the main street in Dun Laoghaire about a month ago, presumably going to buy his sandwich.
    Which just goes to show that even The Hairy One occasionally compromises his principles in order to conform with the petty requirements of mere mortals around him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

seamus wrote: »
    In his rage, he even outs himself - "You told me yesterday that you wanted to support...you wanted to talk about..."

Dunphy had said he was a "No" voter, so Waters was expecting an easy ride.

That was exactly the but that stood out to me. He was expecting an easy ride and was deeply upset that he didn’t get it. It wasn’t even a hostile interview. It was pretty fair. It just wasn’t a complete walkover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was a pretty easy ride as far as any interviewer I have heard so far. He literally lost his sh1t over a question that any half passed canvasser would have had an answer too.

The only other explanation, other than his complete idiocy, is that he planned a walk out all along, and just went for it regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Not a happy camper...

"On Friday, the Irish people climbed Calvary backwards, in the name of progress".

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2018/05/ireland-an-obituary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Well the first thing John needs to do is stop torturing those poor metaphors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

At around the 29 minute mark, Waters informs us that Leo Varadkar is only taoiseach because he is gay.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6F4bUkWx2U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The song he wrote for eurovision has been mentioned on the Atheist Ireland FB page. All together now:

They might scare the blackbird‬
    ‪But they cannot stop him sing‬
    ‪They may steal the honey‬
    ‪But they'll never steal the sting‬
    ‪They may crush the flowers‬
    ‪And trample every living thing‬
    ‪But they can't stop the spring‬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Odhinn wrote: »
    At around the 29 minute mark, Waters informs us that he is gay.

Man in selective quoting shocker! :p

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

At around the 29 minute mark, Waters informs us that Leo Varadkar is only taoiseach because he is gay.
    Even by Waters' lamentable standards, that's an especially vile string of wayward slurs and insults. Can people like him even hear themselves think above the hatred?

• Advertisement

Hoagy wrote: »
    Mr Waters sense of irony seems to have deserted him temporarily, though since he seems to believe that the dead children of Tuam and elsewhere were just a media concoction, perhaps this desertion is understandable:
    Today, Ireland dances on the graves of little children. It is a country where freedom means the right to do just about anything you please, without risk of consequences.

Great news for Waters if the Blasphemy referendum goes ahead. He’ll get to be relevant again AND he’ll get to be on the losing side again which will play great to the poor oppressed catholics.

He’ll get the chance to go on 10 radio shows a day to say he’s being silenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Great news for Waters if the Blasphemy referendum goes ahead. He’ll get to be relevant again AND he’ll get to be on the losing side again which will play great to the poor oppressed catholics.

He'll get to call Eamon Dunphy a "fcuking b0llox" again! :pac:

Pherekydes wrote: »

He'll get to call Eamon Dunphy a "fcuking b0llox" again! :pac:

No need to wait for a special occasion for that!

Edit to be fair I don’t have a problem with Dunphy. But that Waters interview was a classic moment.

i wonder if he will be eliminated on the first or second count?

• Advertisement

i wonder if he will be eliminated on the first or second count?

As long as he gets to claim discrimination and persecution, he'll be happy.

Can’t fault him for putting himself out there and actually standing up for what he believes in. I just feel he’s first and foremost, a contrarian. If abortion was strictly banned, he’d be campaigning for it. If the Catholic Church was popular, he’d be an outspoken anti-catholic

I just feel he’s first and foremost, a contrarian. If abortion was strictly banned, he’d be campaigning for it.

Eh it was very strictly banned until 2018, never heard him campaining for it. I mean, if you're dying but not dying "enough", how more strict could it be?

Scrap the cap!

Eh it was very strictly banned until 2018, never heard him campaining for it. I mean, if you're dying but not dying "enough", how more strict could it be?

Public sentiment was shifting in favour of it. If the law and the people were agin' it, he'd be for it.

Waters eliminated on the first count with a dismal total of 925 votes. Fun to note that, according to TheJournal anyway, not one of Waters' second preferences went to Ossian Smyth, the Green Party candidate.

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/63/

Nutjob Gemma O'Doherty earned 1,252 first preferences and looks set to be eliminated shortly, if she hasn't already been eliminated.

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/56/

The SF results notwithstanding, especially the re-election of convicted terrorist Dessie Ellis, the pisspoor performance of the hard right is certainly worth a grin this evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there is a video on the RTE site showing dessie ellis and his supporters singing 'come out ye black and tans' at the count centre.

stay classy, guys.

• Advertisement

Both Waters and Gemma done far better than I expected to be honest. Glad to hear Peter Casey has also exited. While not the right forum to ask, are SF right or left? it is really hard to tell, on balance I'd view them as Centers but only because they have views that are so far left and far right at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

casey hasn't been eliminated yet in donegal, though he's running 11th out of 13.
    and behind the green candidate, which is a poor showing in donegal.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Both Waters and Gemma done far better than I expected to be honest. [...] Glad to hear Peter Casey has also exited.
    O'Doherty received just under 2% of first-preferences while Waters and Casey received just under 1.5% of first preferences. Given their relatively high profiles, and their strong anti-immigrant stance - rhetoric which has won power easily in other countries - I'd have said that was a good result indeed.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    [...] are SF right or left? it is really hard to tell [...]
    They're more populist than traditional left or right - their policies tend to mid-left to far-left economically - they promise to lower taxes, raise spending and reduce borrowing all at the same time. While their law and order policy is mid-right - a vague promise to increase number of Gardai and while "cracking down on crime" - can't see that one playing out well with the SF grass roots.

the irish freedom party candidate in dublin bay south has been beaten by the 'spoiled votes' candidate, whoever he or she is.

the irish freedom party candidate in dublin bay south has been beaten by the 'spoiled votes' candidate, whoever he or she is.

In fairness Spolied Votes ran a very strong campaign that focused on the issues that matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

In fairness Spolied Votes ran a very strong campaign that focused on the issues that matter.

The Free Beer party could have won by a landslide if they'd just put enough candidates forward.

Poes law in action
    "Ireland under SF"

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1226822304220487685

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Poes law in action
    "Ireland under SF"

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1226822304220487685

Soooo... we each get an amazing couture gown and an oscars invite?

Why the hell didn't they put that in the manifesto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

B0jangles wrote: »

That does seem as attainable as some of their manifesto. So wouldn't be that outlandish when you think about it.

False unfortunately, as that rumor seems to have started when somebody saw figures to that effect which they thought were final, but weren't.

The IFP candidate in Dublin Bay South was Ben Scallen and he receive 245 first preferences and was eliminated after the third count, by which time his tally had risen to 255 votes:

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/54/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

B0jangles wrote: »

FFS!

Wonder if I could get away with pretending I voted for them...I did #TransferLeft so I'd settle for a Yakamoto tux and a BAFTAs invite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,676 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

robindch wrote: »
    False unfortunately, as that rumor seems to have started when somebody saw figures to that effect which they thought were final, but weren't.

The IFP candidate in Dublin Bay South was Ben Scallen and he receive 245 first preferences and was eliminated after the third count, by which time his tally had risen to 255 votes:

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/54/
    And how many spoiled votes were there?

Renowned virologist, physicist and epidemiologist John Waters - blessedly clothed - airs an opinion on covid:

https://twitter.com/markohalloran/status/1246934520596779008

What is it about 5G conspiracy theories that seems to appeal to people? John would say anything to seem relevant but even he must be a bit ashamed of stooping this low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What is it about 5G conspiracy theories that seems to appeal to people? John would say anything to seem relevant but even he must be a bit ashamed of stooping this low.

He probably thinks of himself as Ireland's lone intellectual giant.

is that a concept he is familiar with?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He probably thinks of himself as Ireland's lone intellectual giant.

Certainly he's a lone giant, just of what is the question.

given the spread of coronavirus cases, the 5G rollout must be *way* more advanced than i thought.

is that a concept he is familiar with?

I'd say he certainly used to be familiar with it. But as his relevance faded began to stoop lower and lower to grasp the smallest bit of fame.

If he ever regains his sense of shame then he’s in for a land when he rewatches this.

• Advertisement

In a couple of sentences, what is the 5G conspiracy?

What’s it about and who’s behind it?

Basically, 5G is said to cause all kinds of illnesses, or it's a New World Order plot to control the world, or it's Bill Gates doing population control, causes autism, anti-vaccine related, Wuhan virus research center, the virus research center near Tblisi, bee-death, coronavirus, cancer, George Soros no doubt together with a bunch of other current PCT's - it's a bit of a pick and mix, whatever you're having yourself, sir, really. These things don't need to make sense, and this one doesn't.

Media outlets controlled by the Kremlin (Russia Today, Sputnik and others) have pushed these conspiracies - largely it seems in order to sow discord within the US and Europe, and damage our economies by slowing the rollout, and the consequent economic benefits, of a fast, low-latency, over-the-air network. POTUS' disdain for Huawei, the world's largest supplier of 5G-gear, is generally in line with Kremlin-controlled messaging regarding 5G rollout in the West (though not in Russia, where the media tend to be supportive of 5G to domestic audiences). Fox News has unsurprisingly cast doubt on 5G's safety too.

https://monitoring.bbc.co.uk/product/c2015h7e
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/06/at-least-20-uk-phone-masts-vandalised-over-false-5g-coronavirus-claims
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/marc-siegel-tucker-carlsons-5g-apocalypse-health-effects-theory-from-russia-undermined-by-fox-news-doctor

Is the 5G conspiracy not the same as the 4G conspiracy? Just a bit newer, I imagine it was once the 3G conspiracy and one day it will be replaced by the 6G conspiracy.

yeah but in best Spïnal Tap fashion, it is one louder...

Scrap the cap!

It's the lizard people, I reckon

YouTube has banned all conspiracy theory videos falsely linking coronavirus symptoms to 5G networks.
    The Google-owned service will now delete videos violating the policy. It had previously limited itself to reducing the frequency it recommended them in its Up Next section.

And when asked for his reaction to reports of 5G masts being set on fire in England and Northern Ireland, he responded: "If 5G continues and reaches where they want to take it, human life as we know it is over... so people have to make a decision."
    Several users subsequently called for further attacks on 5G towers in the comments that appeared alongside the feed.

Mr Icke also falsely claimed that a coronavirus vaccine, when one is developed, will include "nanotechnology microchips" that would allow humans to be controlled. He added that Bill Gates - who is helping fund Covid-19 vaccine research - should be jailed. His views went unchallenged for much of the two-and-a-half-hour show.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52198946

It's the lizard people, I reckon

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52198946

Icke looks awful.

• Advertisement

Icke looks awful.

There's a podcast called Anything Goes which talks to all kinds of people and they interviewed Icke. I couldn't get over just how boring he was (different interview but Tommy Robinson was also very boring). It was just gibberish. The interviewer was good and let him go on and on - and he did go on and on. It came across as him just enjoying talking and having people listen. And I think our man Waters is similar. He just wants to talk and be heard.

I think they would say any old thing to be the centre of attention.

Why are people attacking 5G towers in the UK?

A somewhat long-winded way of saying "Because people are stupid"

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What’s it about and who’s behind it?

5G works on a frequency higher than hitherto used frequencies including radio TV and mobile broadband which is why it works faster than lower frequencies because that's just a physics fact.

The concern is that higher frequencies are damaging to the human body in the same sorta way that more intense sunlight is damaging to the human body which it is. The Huawei issue has nothing whatsoever to do with this - that's about spying.

You're almost giving credence to this bollocks

Millimetre waves are the same as far infra-red, entirely harmless at the power levels concerned.

Gemma live-streams on the internet while claiming to despise the technology which makes what she does possible. She's a fraud.

Scrap the cap!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

AllForIt wrote: »
    The concern is that higher frequencies are damaging to the human body in the same sorta way that more intense sunlight is damaging to the human body which it is.

The concern is unfounded.

Electromagnetic radiation is a spectrum from ELF all the way to gamma rays, but the spectrum can be broadly divided into two parts: ionising and non-ionising.

Ionising radiation has enough energy to ionise atoms. The energy of a photon of EM radiation is a direct function of its frequency, so there's a (fairly fuzzy) boundary above which EM is ionising and below which it is not.

In simple terms: far ultraviolet up to gamma rays are ionising (which is why intense sunlight can cause sunburn and cancer, as it contains a degree of UV-C). Frequencies from visible light down to ELF are non-ionising.

The highest frequency I've ever heard mentioned in connection with radio communications is 300GHz, and I can't see that being of practical use any time soon. The frequency cutoff for ionising radiation is somewhere in the ballpark of 3 petahertz - that's three million gigahertz.

The concerns about health risks from 5G are, like the concerns about health risks from all other forms of non-ionising radiation used in telecommunications, absolute rank nonsense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement