Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi kettle and toaster promo starting Thursday

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Also in the UK there is a different VAT rate for electronics from what I remember so dont forget to add that to your calcs and see how close the difference really is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,839 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Also in the UK there is a different VAT rate for electronics from what I remember so dont forget to add that to your calcs and see how close the difference really is :)

Vat rate in the UK is 20%. I already allowed for it above.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Different country, different currency, different economy, different cost of living, different (much bigger) market.

Different prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

So many people on here defending aldi?
    Nobody likes been taken for an idiot,let's try and make excuses for it and pretend it's not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Nobody likes been taken for an idiot,let's try and make excuses for it and pretend it's not happening

Argreed and it's a rip off , it's sounds like some work in Aldi , they seem to know the ins and outs of how they work ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Funny - i didn't see these posters last year when sterling was almost €1.40 shouting about how cheap aldi was in comparison to their uk stores.

But sure whiners rarely point out an advantage. They only ever search for negatives.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nobody is being taken for an idiot. A number of people who appear to have numeracy and literacy issues are having trouble understanding some basics, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

L1011 wrote: »
    Nobody is being taken for an idiot. A number of people who appear to have numeracy and literacy issues are having trouble understanding some basics, though.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Ok if it's more expensive to transport to the republic why is it not more expensive to transport to Northern Ireland?
    Same price there as uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ok if it's more expensive to transport to the republic why is it not more expensive to transport to Northern Ireland?
    Same price there as uk

How do you know they're pulling in the same margin?

I'd imagine it's equally expensive to get the goods into their store in Inverness, but they don't charge more there - likewise the stores closest to their huge logistics centre in Bolton don't sell it any cheaper.

Despite what people may think, NI is a different jurisdiction.

And it's only a 10% (at most differential) - of all the things people can complain about being ripped off on this about 12353rd in the list :rolleyes:

if people think it's a rip-off, don't buy it - they'll be left with a load of unsold stock and they won't be as 'greedy' the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Same price there as uk

Feel free to travel to Northern Ireland, search for an Aldi and if you find one (you won't), buy your kettle and toaster.

btw - I assume you work. Imagine if your employer told you today that due to currency fluctuation they are taking 15% off your salary as if they employed you in the UK, they'd be able to save 15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm way more baffled by existence of a "retro microwave" and the fact it looks like a pretty standard microwave.
    Ok, maybe a bigger handle than you'd normally get these days...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Same price there as uk

Its not the same price in NI as GB because there are no Aldi stores in NI - very possibly for the reason of higher costs

Lidl NI is run from the Irish division for much the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Same price there as uk
    It is often a lot more expensive to transport to NI than mainland UK. Many large retailers will charge the same in NI and simply take the loss, or increase prices overall to cover it. Some might figure the loss would be too much and not open in NI, they would not like badwill they might get from ignorant complainers who do not understand. The company I work for make machines for large multinationals and I remember them saying they make a loss or just break even on ones sold in NI. Aldi have no NI stores maybe they would have to increase the prices too much and figure they would lose overall.

People hear take advantage of this type of thing in the form of parcelmotel & parcelwizard. Royal mail charge the same price to deliver to NI than to a building next door to where it was posted in mainland UK. Many couriers do not feel obligated to look "fair" and so do charge more accordingly.

castle2012 wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying the new promo starting tomorrow, ad was on rte 1 earlier kettle and toaster for €44.99. Just turned on Chanel 5 uk and it's on sale tomorrow for £29.99.
    So are you still thinking of buying it? I presume you initially thought it was a good price relative to other retailers, including buying online or travelling to other countries. Aldi could well be making more profit selling it in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

rubadub wrote: »
    It is often a lot more expensive to transport to NI than mainland UK. Many large retailers will charge the same in NI and simply take the loss, or increase prices overall to cover it. Some might figure the loss would be too much and not open in NI, they would not like badwill they might get from ignorant complainers who do not understand. The company I work for make machines for large multinationals and I remember them saying they make a loss or just break even on ones sold in NI. Aldi have no NI stores maybe they would have to increase the prices too much and figure they would lose overall.

People hear take advantage of this type of thing in the form of parcelmotel & parcelwizard. Royal mail charge the same price to deliver to NI than to a building next door to where it was posted in mainland UK. Many couriers do not feel obligated to look "fair" and so do charge more accordingly.

So are you still thinking of buying it? I presume you initially thought it was a good price relative to other retailers, including buying online or travelling to other countries. Aldi could well be making more profit selling it in the UK.

Yep I did like it and was going to purchase it till I seen the uk price , it just put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

Anyone know if there is any aldi with these left, I'm looking for the Cream Kettle to match the toaster I managed to get in one Aldi!

3 years later? No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

L1011 wrote: »
    3 years later? No chance.

Ha,
    I meant the ones from last week the RETRO ones

Advertisement