Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-08-2013, 15:14   #1
lottpaul

Deaths/Records St. Ita's Portrane

Just have a general question about accessing information for a former patient in St. Ita's Hospital Portrane (or similar Hospitals/Homes). Can records be accessed and by whom? Am just talking about general things like dates of admission, death etc. Have recently discovered a great uncle was a patient there and we have no information on him at all. Closest surviving relation is his niece - now in her mid 80s and a bit forgetful- who can't recall exact dates etc. Thinks he went there in the 1940s? and died in the mid 1960s so not on familysearch etc. Not buried there we think but no name on any family headstone. Would council cemetery records be made accessible to great nieces/nephews or is the link too far out?
Many thanks.
Advertisement
05-08-2013, 13:22   #2
pinkypinky

Your best bet is to ring them and ask. They'll be able to set you straight, even if they can't give you the information.

I know a direct ancestor of mine was in Grangegorman and I am still waiting to gain access - I had to prove the connection with certificates, and now it's a question of them finding her record - also from the 1940s.

Medical records are often sealed for 100 years after the last entry, especially for mental health issues.
Thanks from:
05-08-2013, 13:47   #3
lottpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Your best bet is to ring them and ask. They'll be able to set you straight, even if they can't give you the information.

Many thanks. I thought St. Ita's was closed? but I suppose the records must be somewhere. Will get on the phone tomorrow.
05-08-2013, 13:50   #4
pinkypinky

Afaik, they're not taking in new patients but people are still there. Their radio station is still broadcasting!
Thanks from:
05-08-2013, 22:38   #5
Hermy

Quote:

I know a direct ancestor of mine was in Grangegorman and I am still waiting to gain access - I had to prove the connection with certificates, and now it's a question of them finding her record - also from the 1940s.

Medical records are often sealed for 100 years after the last entry, especially for mental health issues.
Hi Pinky, Would you know if something similar would apply to St. Josephs, Portland Row?
Advertisement
06-08-2013, 12:49   #6
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
Hi Pinky, Would you know if something similar would apply to St. Josephs, Portland Row?
Not definitely but I would imagine that similar rules apply in all these cases. I also had to do the same to get hold of my g-grandfather's Irish army record. In both cases, I am a direct descendant so don't know how difficult it would be if you're researching an indirect one.
Thanks from:
07-08-2013, 22:44   #7
P. Breathnach

Quote:
I know a direct ancestor of mine was in Grangegorman and I am still waiting to gain access - I had to prove the connection with certificates, and now it's a question of them finding her record - also from the 1940s....
Herself had some success with Grangegorman records last year. She also learned that she had been very lucky in her timing, as the records were about to be boxed up and transferred to the National Archives.

The immediate task is the conservation of the records. They need considerable work. This means that they will not be available to researchers. It appears that when and where they become available has not yet been decided.
08-08-2013, 14:37   #8
pinkypinky

P. Breathnach - that's very interesting. I actually sent my request in about 3 years ago and was called by some volunteer group who were indexing the records a couple of months later. They said it was a question of find my person's record, rather than if it was there, because there was no order on how things were archived.
09-08-2013, 15:40   #9
Jellybaby1

Quote:
P. Breathnach - that's very interesting. I actually sent my request in about 3 years ago and was called by some volunteer group who were indexing the records a couple of months later. They said it was a question of find my person's record, rather than if it was there, because there was no order on how things were archived.

Pinky, do you know what agency/group had been organised to do the indexing?
Advertisement
11-08-2013, 18:06   #10
pinkypinky

They were a Grangegorman specific group, some former employees - no website, or anything.
19-09-2016, 00:21   #11
Jellybaby1

Thanks to the new records I think I've found a relative who died in Portrane. Is there any new information on the archiving as yet? Also does anyone know where the patients would have been buried?
19-09-2016, 06:35   #12
lottpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
Thanks to the new records I think I've found a relative who died in Portrane. Is there any new information on the archiving as yet? Also does anyone know where the patients would have been buried?
I found the death cert for my relative in the new records and noticed that the informant for some of the deaths there was another "inmate" rather than a staff member etc which struck me as a little odd, but I presume it just means "present at death".
By sheer luck I found from a very elderly neighbour (now deceased) a few years ago that when he died he was buried in an old family grave but with little fuss and just close family present. There is no headstone. The stigma of mental illness I assumed but she said no, he was a bachelor and people didn't have much money to spare for headstones for elderly single uncles in those days!

I presume that if a relative didn't claim the body/couldn't be contacted etc there has to be a burial ground in the hospital?
19-09-2016, 10:04   #13
pinkypinky

I reiterate the above point: call the hospital directly and ask. They'll at least be able to tell you the policy.
(2) thanks from:
19-09-2016, 16:41   #14
KildareFan

I think 'inmate' refers to a member of staff, not a fellow patient. The term appears frequently in records I'm looking at. Another term for and informant based in an institution/hospital is 'Occupier' who appears to be more senior.
19-09-2016, 17:04   #15
pinkypinky

No, it's definitely another patient in the institution. If it is staff, it will say nurse/occupier or whatever.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion