Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-04-2012, 20:23   #31
lottpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxeo View Post
Does anyone know what Festa/Fester might have been short for. I have a great uncle Fester/Festa...my dad wasn't sure, but I can't find any name like that on the census? Any ideas folks?

Festus is/was common enough in parts of Galway but as P.B. says Fester could be a shortened version of Sylvester.

In our family tree the name Molly crops up regularly - as a substitute for Rosanna -- I have no idea why - and it caused huge confusion when looking through records etc. I assumed Molly was a pet/short version of Mary or Margaret?

We also have
  • Bid/Biddy for Bridget
  • Mamie for Eleanor
  • Manie for Margaret
  • Moss/Mossie for Maurice
  • Murt for Martin
  • Sonny for several different names where the man was called after his father and it was used to avoid "confusion" -- thereby causing utter confusion many years later

Sis crops up too just referring to "Sister" -- happened when a younger sibling couldn't pronounce the full name (Alexandra) and just kept calling her Sister -- and it stuck.
Good thread

Last edited by lottpaul; 22-04-2012 at 20:27.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-04-2012, 20:31   #32
TwistedTrees

My Mary Eleanor grandmum born 1913 in Vancouver was known as a pet name of Molly.

'Tis so confusing!'
Thanks from:
22-04-2012, 21:21   #33
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedTrees View Post
This is a terrific thread.
Here's one for you all that I've never really understood. My uncle is a Thomas Joseph (first and middle name) and always believed his father and grandfather were both the same. It turns out his grandfather (and my ggf obviously!) was Thomas Patrick. But his Dad, my gf, has Thomas O'Connell (that's not his surname btw, or a middle name of any previous generation; we're assuming he's named after Daniel, the Liberator, as my ggf was in the A.O.H. & the Emerald Society, both in Canada, as well as being on the local Separate school board) on his birth cert but Thomas Joseph on his marriage cert! Might Joseph have been a nickname, or his Confirmation name, or just one he decided to use himself because he didn't like O'Connell as a middle name?!

Last edited by mod9maple; 22-04-2012 at 21:30.
23-04-2012, 15:32   #34
binxeo

Just found a Bridget who's pet name was Daisy and she married as Daisy and was buried as Daisy.
23-04-2012, 15:38   #35

Rachael- ray, rara, rach]
Roberta- bobby, Bob
Jessica-Jessy, jess
Gary- Gaz
Nadine- Deano
Advertisement
24-04-2012, 19:26   #36
carolinej

Thomas - Tod
24-04-2012, 19:46   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9maple View Post
Here's one for you all that I've never really understood. My uncle is a Thomas Joseph (first and middle name) and always believed his father and grandfather were both the same. It turns out his grandfather (and my ggf obviously!) was Thomas Patrick. But his Dad, my gf, has Thomas O'Connell (that's not his surname btw, or a middle name of any previous generation; we're assuming he's named after Daniel, the Liberator, as my ggf was in the A.O.H. & the Emerald Society, both in Canada, as well as being on the local Separate school board) on his birth cert but Thomas Joseph on his marriage cert! Might Joseph have been a nickname, or his Confirmation name, or just one he decided to use himself because he didn't like O'Connell as a middle name?!
Kinda dizzy readin this, but I know what you mean...
Thanks from:
27-04-2012, 18:50   #38

Concepta- Cepta, Ceppie
27-04-2012, 18:53   #39
Jellybaby1

A modern day one I heard recently is Flick, short for Felicity.
Advertisement
30-04-2012, 07:25   #40
Larkenn

Elizabeth - Eliza, Lily
Nora - Honora, Honor, Hannah
Jane - Joan
Anne - Annie, Nannie
Alicia - Alice
Mary - Maria
Christina - Cissie

Last edited by Larkenn; 30-04-2012 at 07:28.
07-05-2012, 10:27   #41
annieoburns

good thread.... covered most of mine already

Connie for Concepta
Bartle for Bartholomew
Lily for Elizabeth
Molly for Mary
Henny for Anne
Ted or Thady for Thadeus
Billy for William but wife insisted on calling him Liam.... bit confusing as they married in their mid 30's.

Above last one points up how same person can be called different names by different people. We had a relation christened Eleanor but called Nell or Nellie by different people.

Other names are suggested by place in family such as
Boy ... an only child
Baby.... the youngest
Cissie or Sis for an older sister?

Also there is the matter in former times of babies needing a proper saint's name for baptism... eg Thadeus/Bartholomew a bit cumbersome for in normal life but got used for official documents.
Thanks from:
07-05-2012, 12:30   #42
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieoburns View Post

Other names are suggested by place in family such as
Boy ... an only child
Baby.... the youngest
Cissie or Sis for an older sister?
This reminds me of someone I know whose grannie was known as "girlie" because she was the only girl in her family.
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2012, 00:46   #43
Jellybaby1

Following on the subject of pet names. I am searching for a 'Maud' but she is not appearing anywhere. Maybe someone here may have experienced a Maud as another name?
18-07-2012, 02:11   #44
mod9maple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
Following on the subject of pet names. I am searching for a 'Maud' but she is not appearing anywhere. Maybe someone here may have experienced a Maud as another name?
It's a variant for Matilda, appartenly.

"Early contracted form of Mathilda.

The Old German Mahthild became in French Mahault, Maheut, Maheud, then Maud.

The name Maud became quite common in England in the 19th century."
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2012, 09:02   #45
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9maple View Post
It's a variant for Matilda, appartenly....
I didn't know that. I would have guessed that it was a variant for Margaret. Although my guess has no good foundation, it might be worth exploring it if Matilda doesn't deliver for you.

I know of one case where Maud was used as the English cognate for Maedhbh. I don't know if it was a family idiosyncracy.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion