Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading bike.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

He didnt give you a stack measurement?
    Take this systemsix for example it has a reach of 386 in size 54 so should be within your realms
    https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=151339.
    The only difference is the stack height is going to be lower. Which can also stretch your back and add weight to your hands. Can be solved with spacers and turning your stem up so that it rises
    But dont think you have to be a pro to ride an aero bike, and tbh most of the aero bikes on the market arent even really designed for pros more so consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

No, no stack measurement. Rather than going by the standard 54, 56, etc sizing, i think I'd better pay more attention to the geometry measurements. Thanks for the advice!

Serious question time. Is a top tube measurement relevant these days for fits and sizing?

I ride a 51 Felt , Trek have me as a 54 and Canyon have me on a XS seems to depend on if the cross bar/ top tube is horizintal or slanted?. MTB's you buy in inches I'm a 19 I think as they measure vertically along the seat tube?

I know reach is more important than stand over clearance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I'd go slightly smaller if you have back trouble. I have an l5 prolapsed disc also. I bought my defy at m/L at 5,11. Its the perfect size but because of my back, I feel should have gone smaller. I have changed the stem to a much shorter one and moved the seat forward and that has sorted it out though. You'd be amazed what a small 5 or 10mm etc. adjustment can do for your back. You are basically taking a few mm of pressure off your back that make a world of difference.

I might put a spacer or two in the top tube to increase comfort even more at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Basically you've turned your M/L Giant into an M Giant. This is where I think shops let customers down by not getting this right from the beginning.

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Basically you've turned your M/L Giant into an M Giant. This is where I think shops let customers down by not getting this right from the beginning.

Its not the shops fault. I can't get down on the bike like a typical rider because my back won't allow it or it will but ill be uncomfortable. I didn't let the shop know about my back problem and I wasn't fully aware of how restricted I would be on racer style bike. My previous bike was a cycle cross cube nuroad in a 56 and was far more upright. So I had gotten use to the comfort of the more upright position.

I've narrowed it down to two bikes folks, trek domane sl5 disc and giant defy advanced 2. Anyone have a reason why I should choose one over the other? Cheers. Both have similar components, just down to frame geometry and build quality.

Best thing is to try both. Build quality is going to be very similar and same groupset so

Personally id be going for giant, the trek frames going to be heavier because or the iso speed linkage at the rear, although some seem to like the compliance it gives and also the internal storage system would add weight to.

The giant is probably going to have a slightly nicer frame, and imo would serve a lovely base to upgrade from. Giant manufacture frames for other brands, they have to ability to offer very competitively priced good quality frames. Treks manufacturing is outsourced, doesnt affect quality but obviously increases price, and value isnt great considering canyon uses the same manufacturer and are often half the price for the same spec.

If you do go for the giant id try and haggle a discount as their prices have really increased this year

Cheers Tony they are both used and going for decent price, well within my budget. Need to move quick now!

Be careful buying used disc brake road bikes, as older bikes used postmount standard for brakes so cant upgrade to newer flatmount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I’m thinking of selling my titanium van Nicholas ventus road bike with carbon 50mm wheels - they are essentially new . It’s 54Cm will fit someone around 5-7 to 5-10
    It’s rim brake . It’s a beaut and priced well.

Wailin wrote: »
    Cheers Tony they are both used and going for decent price, well within my budget. Need to move quick now!

What year and model is the defy? Is it a 1 or 2.

Oberkon wrote: »
    I’m thinking of selling my titanium van Nicholas ventus road bike with carbon 50mm wheels - they are essentially new . It’s 54Cm will fit someone around 5-7 to 5-10

You'd be better off posting here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1205

With pictures and full spec. I'm sure someone will have your arm for it if its priced to sell they are lovely bikes.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    What year and model is the defy? Is it a 1 or 2.

It's 2 and 2019. €2k

Oberkon wrote: »

What year and price? Be interested to see pics too if you put it up somewhere.

It's 2 and 2019. €2k

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but that's far too much for a 2nd hand 2019 defy. They made significant improvements to the defy in 2020. The brakes on the 2019 are awful. They have a bulk head conduit system in where its a mix of mechanical and hydraulic. It's a very heavy system too and looks awful. There is a giant defy owners page on Facebook and many members have changed that system at a cost of €600.

They put D fuse technology into the front on 2020 models but it's only on the rear on 2019 if I'm correct. That dampens the road buzz on your wrists and that. There are more eyelets for mudguards and far better tyre clearance on the 2020 models. I can get 40/38cc on mine. I think the 2019 clearance is not great if I'm correct.

€1200 or there around I'd only being paying for a 2019 defy advanced 2 being honest. And it would have to be mint.

Cycle superstore have a huge selection of 2nd hand bikes out back if you are going 2nd hand. Might be worth a look. Some really good bikes up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Agree with that, unless by any chance it is a Defy Advanced Pro 2 (which has carbon wheels and a full hydraulic groupset). I wouldn't buy a bike with that Giant Conduct breaking system tbh unless you are getting a fantastic deal. 2000€ is not far off the price of a new TCR or Defy with full 105 hydraulic.

Agree with that, unless by any chance it is a Defy Advanced Pro 2 (which has carbon wheels and a full hydraulic groupset). I wouldn't buy a bike with that Giant Conduct breaking system tbh unless you are getting a fantastic deal. 2000€ is not far off the price of a new TCR or Defy with full 105 hydraulic.

Exactly, it would have to be a pro 2.

Cheers lads. I'll leave the defy so. The trek domane is 2020 sl5 disc, also for around 2k. Overpriced too?

Cheers lads. I'll leave the defy so. The trek domane is 2020 sl5 disc, also for around 2k. Overpriced too?

That seems OK. Try and haggle a bit if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I wouldn't call it overpriced as that was a 3000€ bike new. I probably wouldn't pay that much though but depends on condition really. It also depends on your use, I haven't ever ridden one so can't comment but seems like a comfortable bike but not the lightest

I was collecting my defy there from cyclesuperstore.
    They have a lovely planet x pro carbon ultegra size M for €850 2nd hand. It's stunning looking.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I was collecting my defy there from cyclesuperstore.
    They have a lovely planet x pro carbon ultegra size M for €850 2nd hand. It's stunning looking.

Why so cheap I wonder? Aren't they over 3k new?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It looks a lot better in the flesh. That pic looks like it was taken on a potato.

Ah, sram force groupset, not ultegra.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most of the photos on that site look like they were taken by someone who hates their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Why so cheap I wonder? Aren't they over 3k new?

Not quite , they were about €1,650 new, i have one with ultegra groupset, use it as my winter bike, takes a lot of abuse. Bought it second hand as it happens for €850 too about 3 years ago. It was only 6 months old, groupset alone was worth the money. Sold the stock wheelset for €150 as had a spare set of Zonda's for it. Mine is an 11 speed, see the one ad advertised is a 10 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Tony04 wrote: »
    The biggest upgrade you can probably make is a proper bike fit. Ideally if you are buying a bike the best thing you can do to help make your mind up is again a bike fit which should help you decide your sizing etc. Also a little bit of core work worls wonders on your on bike position.
    If your saying you want to push the bike, theres no need for an endurance orientated bike imo. Firstly aero bikes being sold come with an array of headset spacers so its not exactly like you need to be a pro to ride one and secondly with disc brakes most bikes fit wide tyres which make the biggest difference to comfort.
    Then other things to consider rim vs disc brakes. Rim brakes lighter and cheaper and work perfectly fine, the difference between the two isnt exactly like as big as v brakes and mtb disc brakes but disc brakes are definitely better at stopping.
    Di2 vs mechanical.
    And the other thing is to consider at that budget is do you want a bike with a nicer frame and cheaper components something like the scott addict rc gives you pretty much the pro level frame for 3000. Or a cheaper frame with much nicer components like an alloy bike with dura ace carbon wheels, bars etc.
    You could look and see whats second hand and perhaps find a bargain however the used market is particularly bad atm

It was the best investment i ever did was getting a PROPER bike fit, even though my bike at the time was like the OP slightly too big a few minor adjustments, with me it was stem and cleats and on my next cycle there was a notable difference, more comfort and just a better cycling experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That PlanetX may have been as low €999 new, they were ridiculously cheap and discounted several times a year by the British store.

CSS's used bikes were generally not considered to be great value tbh. Although in 2021, what is value exactly??

Advertisement