Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the 201 class doomed for imminent withdrawn?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Not necesssary those flows since they are obviously defunct, but to see flows of a similar nature started up.

I think there are some crazy non-sensical moves being made. Moving the Port of Cork to ringaskiddy is a death nail for railfreight in Cork. Unless the greenway is reverted to a railway and a spur built on from Rafeen to Ringaskiddy. which is very unlikely. Although with the Phara industried down there it could be a very busy line. I can imagine it doubling as a commutter line taking a few thousand down to ringaskiddy every day.
    I can envisage that it would be possible to keep some sort of a greenway alongside by widening the PW on the CB&PR.

Moving a major port away from the rail network with no prospect of a re-connection or extension is pure madness. The people of Carrigaline, Shanbally and Douglas and Rochestown are very angry with the POrt and the massive volumes of truck traffic they will be sending through their areas. Not to mention, the ramming of a motorway through the land.

It makes sense from an industry, commutter and freight and environmental point of view to recconect the Port of Cork to the rail network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There was a project which went to tender to reengineer the 201 with a new engine package. It would retain the DC traction motors so would not match the performance of a modern locomotive

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/113006/0/0?returnUrl=&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Tender was abandoned based on the responses.

The only real hope for freight if the Foynes thing happens, been talk about Foynes for decades

Could the removed EMD 710-16s engine/generator skid units then be re-used in de-rated form to re-engine the 071s? Or perhaps drop into the likes of an A class metrovick or a 101 class? If it were to happen there would be a whole raft of relatively good nick 710-16s available for re-use.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'd love to see freight flows coming back up. God it would be some sight to behold.
    Pockets, barytes, Tara mines, ammonia, beet, cement, Asahi, timber, liners, bitumen, fuel tankers, livestock wagons, complemented with the 071s, a few reactivated leased back baby GMs, and possibly a Metrovick or two, but that might be asking a bit much.

If new freight rolling stock was to be aquired, would there be much hope of a few new mid-range locomotives?

i would say it's an aweful lot to ask, as it's unlikely we will see big industries like those here again.
    very very unlikely IE would lease back locos from the ITG, some of them would require complete restoration to be operable, it's just not going to happen realistically.
    the ones in working order would also require some work, probably not impossible in their case but unlikely i would believe.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Could the removed EMD 710-16s engine/generator skid units then be re-used in de-rated form to re-engine the 071s? Or perhaps drop into the likes of an A class metrovick or a 101 class? If it were to happen there would be a whole raft of relatively good nick 710-16s available for re-use.

the 710 is too big i believe so won't fit the older classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

I think yer on the funny fags.

There are 2 preserved A classes, 1 wrecked A class,and 1 A class shell in a pub. There's 1 "101" class of each flavour. They all have a purpose of sorts. And are over 60 years old.

1 101 class of each flavour? I thought there was only 1 101 class left? B103 in Carrick on Suir.

Where is the wrecked A class?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

oh do stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

16 Cylinders? Why would you need that much power in Ireland? A 12Cyl is more than enough

Well that is what the 710s in the 201 IIs are. I don't know were the 710s available as 12s.

What did the tenderers propose for re-engining the 201s? Was it an EMD or CAT?

• Advertisement

Not necesssary those flows since they are obviously defunct, but to see flows of a similar nature started up.

I think there are some crazy non-sensical moves being made. Moving the Port of Cork to ringaskiddy is a death nail for railfreight in Cork. Unless the greenway is reverted to a railway and a spur built on from Rafeen to Ringaskiddy. which is very unlikely. Although with the Phara industried down there it could be a very busy line. I can imagine it doubling as a commutter line taking a few thousand down to ringaskiddy every day.
    I can envisage that it would be possible to keep some sort of a greenway alongside by widening the PW on the CB&PR.

Moving a major port away from the rail network with no prospect of a re-connection or extension is pure madness. The people of Carrigaline, Shanbally and Douglas and Rochestown are very angry with the POrt and the massive volumes of truck traffic they will be sending through their areas. Not to mention, the ramming of a motorway through the land.

It makes sense from an industry, commutter and freight and environmental point of view to recconect the Port of Cork to the rail network.

Rail freight is dead in Cork anyway, and Tivoli brings in so many restrictions on vessel operations that it makes perfect sense to move the Port out to Ringaskiddy where the is deep water and no tidal restrictions..

Not that Cork really has anything much to move by rail.. Cork Port mainly deals with imports and exports to/from Co.Cork and South Munster, which is no where near long enough a haul for rail to be viable..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

My guess was wrong. I meant the CB&PR. Fixed it.

A former narrow gauge line , closed in 1931 iirc, with a very restricted tunnel in the way which doesn't really go anywhere near enough, to be considered.

Well that is what the 710s in the 201 IIs are. I don't know were the 710s available as 12s.

What did the tenderers propose for re-engining the 201s? Was it an EMD or CAT?

The 201s have a 12-701G3B.. The 12- means its a 12Cyl..

16 Cyls would be used for US main line locos, putting out about 4000HP.. It wouldn't fit in a 201, and would shake apart a 60 year old logo at about notch 4!

Not sure if you are trolling people at this stage or what, but guessing your next suggestion will be that all the cargo on the IWT liners should be devanned into the point depot and then loaded into loose coupled H vans to be hauled by an E class loco(with the engine from a 2700DMU and a pantograph from at 8200 class DART) to Ballina.. or that Tara mines should be carried in bullied open wagons with tarps and offloaded by stout dockers with shovels on arrival to Dublin Port

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GT89 wrote: »
    I do think for it to possible there does need to be some EU support to increase the amount of rail freight as part of a joined up strategy. I believe Europe as a whole has the lowest volume of rail freight compared to Russia, China and the USA.

A lot of this comes down to geography, population density, etc.

There is no point in building rail freight just for the sake of it, it needs to offer advantages over the alternatives.

In the EU, the focus of rail is on moving people quickly, rather then freight. I don't think any of us would want the US rail network which carries so few people!

This really comes down to geography. The EU is relatively small compared to those regions you mention and it has a very high population density and many big cities are ports.

As a result, for the most part it is easier and cheaper to just ship freight directly into each cities ports, then it is to move it across the EU by rail. Even road haulage across the EU is relatively quick given the shorter distances.

There is some rail freight in Europe of course, but it just isn't as badly needed.

By comparison, US, Russia, China are vastly larger, with vast areas of largely empty land and often they need to move freight across vast distances , 1000's ok KM to inland cities for whom sea transport isn't an option.

Basically when your only options are rail, road or air, rail can often win, but when you add sea as an option, rail freight becomes less attractive.

Ireland has similar issues, you literally couldn't get a country less suited to rail freight:

- Small island, not connected to any other countries rail network (so no through traffic).
    - Every city has a big port
    - Excellent road network, just 3 hours or less to any city.
    - Little or no heavy industry or mining
    - Industry mostly service oriented, people rather then goods.
    - What little industry we do have is small, light and mostly just in time.

The business case simply isn't there for much rail freight in Ireland, the fundamentals simply aren't there.

Don't get me wrong, no harm in continuing to eeck out profit from whatever rail freight demand is there with whatever pre-existing infrastructure, locos and wagons they have.

But it really doesn't make sense for Irish Rail to invest heavily in new infrastructure for rail freight if the business case and fundamentals simply aren't there.

It would be just a distraction from where rail is badly needed here, which is mass commuting in our cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

But, but, but what about train loads of empty wagons hauled by rebuilt A-class locos re-engined with power units out of 201 class locos painted in 1950s flying snail livery on the Curragh?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    But, but, but what about train loads of empty wagons hauled by rebuilt A-class locos re-engined with power units out of 201 class locos painted in 1950s flying snail livery on the Curragh?

I think those were retired and replaced by a Bulleid turf burner with a flux capacitor, re-gauge F Class bogies and an EM2000 computer from a 201 hauling ex MGWR 6 wheel coaches with the roofs taken off and the windows boarded up :D

1 101 class of each flavour? I thought there was only 1 101 class left? B103 in Carrick on Suir.

Where is the wrecked A class?

northern ireland railways had a class of 3 locos called 101 class, built by hunslet.
    i think b102 is the one that survives out of that class and is in cultra, apparently it's missing a lot of bits so would take a serious amount of work to get running.
    it's the only surviving english electric engined locomotive on the island of ireland as far as i know so is a unique item.

Oh yes I know the NIR 101 class. They had a shed-like roof. It was just the CIE 101 Class i was talking about.

91wx763 wrote: »
    I think yer on the funny fags.

There are 2 preserved A classes, 1 wrecked A class,and 1 A class shell in a pub. There's 1 "101" class of each flavour. They all have a purpose of sorts. And are over 60 years old.

don't forget the 2 c classes as well.

a15 i think is the aclass that is wrecked or is that the one in the pub?

I always thought the Hells Kitchen one was a C class?

Isn't there a 201 class, C227 laid up in a bad way in Kilmacow or Mullinavat area? I think it is renumbered as C202 after being on display in Caherciveen.

• Advertisement

I always thought the Hells Kitchen one was a C class?

Isn't there a 201 class, C227 laid up in a bad way in Kilmacow or Mullinavat area? I think it is renumbered as C202 after being on display in Caherciveen.

no the one in the pub is an aclass.
    c202/c227 still exists yes but where it is now i don't know.
    it's only the body anyway i believe.

It is in a yard somewhere in south Kilkenny. I used to know the location on the map, but I cannot find it now.
    But yes, it is in a bad way. Engine room is empty with most of the floor missing too. There are bogies but the motors were attacked by metal theives for the copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It is in a yard somewhere in south Kilkenny. I used to know the location on the map, but I cannot find it now.
    But yes, it is in a bad way. Engine room is empty with most of the floor missing too. There are bogies but the motors were attacked by metal theives for the copper.

Still, it could be rebuilt to haul train loads of beet in de-roofed 29000 railcars to a non-existent sugar factory.

I'm sure it's all cosmetic and will polish out, few new nuts n bolts and a couple of cable ties and it'll take a V-24 no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Still, it could be rebuilt to haul train loads of beet in de-roofed 29000 railcars to a non-existent sugar factory.
    more likely they would be stuck on the rosslare instead, but fully gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,557 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

:D:D I never thought I’d see dads army referenced in a thread about trains. Dads army is great btw.

no the one in the pub is an aclass.
    c202/c227 still exists yes but where it is now i don't know.
    it's only the body anyway i believe.

Is the one in the pub A015 or 055 ? It’s got a 5 in it I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    :D:D I never thought I’d see dads army referenced in a thread about trains. Dads army is great btw.

Did ya not? :)

• Advertisement

And sure with the gangways you could a good lot more beet into them. Could use the toilets as well.

Advertisement