Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading bike.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

There is a slight discount with that trek.

But imo at 2000 youd be better buying new with another brand and getting a warranty.

The domane is quite a heavy bike anyway, at 2000 you would probably be able to get a lighter alloy frame build.

Before covid you could certainly get a 105 disc bike with vitus rose canyon for 2000 and close to that from merida or giant.

That planet x is an older bike id say at least 7 years old and is running 10 speed sram force not a bad deal but neither a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yeah I'm starting to think the trek is not for me either. My own bike weighs 9kg and if I'm upgrading I would certainly want a lighter frame. The domane is heavier even than my own alu bike. Endurance bikes are all that bit heavier with added components to make them comfy on long spins. 2019 Trek Emonda sl6 for sale that might be a better option.

The only difference between endurance bikes and lets say lighter climbing race bikes is a couple of mm in geometry, which can easily by adjusted with stems spacers etc.
    The biggest difference you can make to the comfort of a bike is tyres perhaps at the cost of some rolling resistance. And maybe weight if you are using disc brakes.
    I mean yeh micro suspension in the seatpost will reduce road vibrations being felt but nowhere near the difference tyres can make as they arent contact points with the road.
    Other than fit what is it you dont like about your merida?

Tony04 wrote: »
    Other than fit what is it you dont like about your merida?

You know, it's hard to fault the merida for it's price point. It's still relatively light, feels good on the road and comfortable to ride. Harsh over the rougher roads, to be expected obviously with narrow 25mm tyres with 120 psi and the tiagra groupset is decent but lacks the precision of the higher models. It struggles a bit on the uphill alright. If it was the right size, I'd keep it and spend the money on upgrading the wheels and possibly groupset.

Thoughts on this Look 795 guys? Priced too high?

http://www.adverts.ie/22449534

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Wailin wrote: »
    Thoughts on this Look 795 guys? Priced too high?

http://www.adverts.ie/22449534

That's a pure racing bike and not good for someone who has back trouble. Look at how low the drops are. I'd get a brand new endurance bike if I had that money. You will have a warranty on the frame and you can't beat new. I did it last year and have upgraded the bike since. Carbon wheels etc. and the bike is very comfortable yet fast plus I have a Lifetime frame warranty.

Never even spotted that! They are practically level with the top tube. Guess that's why I'm in here asking for advice :)

Went for a new Trek Emonda SL5 disc in the end, picking it up tomorrow. Thanks for the helpful advice folks.

Be under no impressions that you purchasing is done youll be looking for carbon wheels soon ;)
    Enjoy anyway.

The SL6 was €900 more with extra carbon bits (wheels, seatpost, bars etc) and ultegra groupset. Was tempted but I reckon the sl5 is enough of a jump from the merida to keep me happy.....hopefully for a long while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Went for a new Trek Emonda SL5 disc in the end, picking it up tomorrow. Thanks for the helpful advice folks.

At this point I am going to comment and say congrats. I think you gave me some advice years ago when I was purchasing a Canon 5d Mark 4? If so be sure to pop some photos in here of your new bike, they will be better quality than the average phone snap....

I resisted commenting a few days ago when someone said bianchi are fashion bikes, or some such comment, there's a long and rich history to bianchi that would argue against that remark (nothing to do with what's in my shed!!). The trek looks the business, good luck with it

Ah thanks WG, I remember the thread about the Canon barely! The Trek was in my budget and the geometry not too aggressive so I think it's exactly what I need. Unless there is nice background to photographing a bike, I find the phone does as good a job haha!

Are you getting it new?

Yes. Lifetime warranty on frame and unlimited free service from the store helped sway me instead of buying used from adverts, donedeal etc.

It's the updated frame too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Don't suppose that was you just cycled by me in Firhouse? A box fresh titanium grey sl5?

I wince at the quoted build weights, but call a spade a spade it's a beautiful looking bike. I could certainly see how your head could be turned in a shop. Looked really class just now, glinting in the sun.

No wasn't me, only heading up to collect it now. It's just under 9kg for the 54 frame on the SL5. The SL6 is about a kilo lighter. Worth the extra €900 to save 0.9 kg do you think?

Where did you buy it from?

Wheelworx, my local shop.

No wasn't me, only heading up to collect it now. It's just under 9kg for the 54 frame on the SL5. The SL6 is about a kilo lighter. Worth the extra €900 to save 0.9 kg do you think?

Jeez a kilo is a lot! Are you sure about that? I wonder where they find it. Is there a significant difference in the wheels?

Anyway, look, you know what they say, once you've bought - stop shopping :). Enjoy the bike, the sun is out and the evenings are stretching :D

fat bloke wrote: »
    Jeez a kilo is a lot! Are you sure about that? I wonder where they find it. Is there a significant difference in the wheels?

Going by specs on the website.

SL6 has carbon seatpost, front bars and wheels plus ultegra. Size 56 weighs 8.25kg. SL5 56 weighs 9.15kg.

Went to collect it there. Really beautiful bike. They set it up with front brake on the left so left it with them to switch them around. That's a pretty stupid mistake in my opinion, aren't most bikes set up with front brake on right unless you're left handed or American?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Oh dear :)

Did you go for the sl6 in the end?

Most countries use rear brake right front left, but britain has a law that bikes must have front brake on the right. Theres no law like such in ireland so it depends on how the bike is distrubuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭secman

Back in 2017 i bought a trek emonda sl 6 pro that came with metron vision 40 carbon wheelset weighing 7.25kg. Really nice bike to ride. Best of luck with your new steed.

secman wrote: »
    Back in 2017 i bought a trek emonda sl 6 pro that came with metron vision 40 carbon wheelset weighing 7.25kg. Really nice bike to ride. Best of luck with your new steed.

Thanks secman. Yes the pro is a much higher spec again than the SL6 disc, hefty price increase too.

Tony04 wrote: »
    Did you go for the sl6 in the end?

Most countries use rear brake right front left, but britain has a law that bikes must have front brake on the right. Theres no law like such in ireland so it depends on how the bike is distrubuted.

No Tony, stayed with the 5.

The orientation of the brakes comes down to what side of the road you drive. Obviously being the same as the UK we always have the front brake on the right. Of course, there's people who wouldnt be fussed either way but i wouldn't like it set up that way.

If the bike had come from the UK it would have been on the right but he said it came from one of the European stores. No big issue, I'll have the bike tomorrow, happy days!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

personally, i think it makes sense to have the important brake - the front brake - in the control of your dominant hand.

Also on any motorbike or scooter I've ever ridden in any country it's right hand, front brake. Definitely the right move to get the shop to switch around to what you're used to anyway.

Advertisement