Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette | Toxic masculinity advert.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'm going to don my Gillette Jeune in protest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

seamus wrote: »
    I see the snowflakes have been triggered.

Good one, so fucking edgy, that'll show them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

If they're winding up the losers of AH they must be onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

A row of fine looking men. I'd give each and every one of them one and go back for seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭tigger123

I've long since thought the sh*te you see on ads for men's razors are relics from a different era.

It's usually images of sports cars, hot supermodels hanging off a bloke who's looking in a mirror and F15 Fighter Jets whooshing by the screen for no reason whatsoever.

It's an interesting angle they've taken, particularly from a brand that was so heavily seeped in the traditional ideas of masculinity. I like it I have to say, and the message that it sends to men; toxic masculinity is unhealthy for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some fierce delicate little souls getting very upset over a daft advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

seamus wrote: »
    I see the snowflakes have been triggered.

Yep there's a definite aspect of being perpetually outraged that the left get accused of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah fawk that.
    Lot of jumping on the bandwagon shíte.

Aldi can get in the sea too with this coercive control bullshít:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

batgoat wrote: »
    Yep there's a definite aspect of being perpetually outraged.

Or maybe people just don't like being insulted by a company that's trying to sell them something.
    I'd imagine this will last about as long as McDonalds 'dead dad' advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yeah fawk that.
    Lot of jumping on the bandwagon shíte.

Aldi can get in the sea too with this coercive control bullshít:

I have to say you've a great user name for this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lmao, the state of the lads getting triggered in this thread is amazing.

The ad's basic message is "Don't be a racist, sexist dickhead. Be decent to other people" and yet people are getting upset about it a commercial for razor blades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Plopsu wrote: »
    Or maybe people just don't like being insulted by a company that's trying to sell them something.
    I'd imagine this will last about as long as McDonalds 'dead dad' advert.

I'm not insulted, bit odd to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Can anyone show me any adverts directed at women that lecture them on their bad behaviour? equality and all that

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sonics2k wrote: »

It's not fair though, they're not showing the bully's side at all! Like maybe those little kids deserved to be punched, did you ever stop to think about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's not fair though, they're not showing the bully's side at all! Like maybe those little kids deserved to be punched, did you ever stop to think about that?

Absolutely, real men show their masculinity by getting drunk in the pub and getting in a fight with random other blokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

uw6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

Sonics2k wrote: »

The ad's basic message is "Don't be a racist, sexist dickhead. Be decent to other people" and yet people are getting upset about it a commercial for razor blades.

Why do men need to be told this? Is the implication that we're already that way and need fixing? I sincerely doubt you'd take such a stance if a similar ad was aimed at women. It's situations like this that shine a light on the every growing hypocrisy of "progressives".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I am outrigged

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I have to say you've a great user name for this thread!

Ha! I hadn't realised!

I always consider it a fantastic put down from the MSN Messenger recommended email system back in the day. That was before I realised that "blunt" means weed too!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

Gillette know what they are doing. The fact of the matter is most household purchases for food items, toiletries, etc are made by women and this ad is directed at them mostly.

For whatever reason, ads that make fun of or belittle men seem to work well with women.

Add to that, the cynical jumping on the metoo bandwagon for commercial gain, and you can see why Gilette came up with this sh*t.

By the way, these comments like "men are very easily offended at the slightest criticism of their gender", or men need to "grow a pair" or whatever is nonsense. If an ad like this was made about women, there would be uproar, and everyone knows it.

I am happy enough with allowing people to offend each other. People are a bit precious these days. But the fact of the matter is that its really only okay to offend one obvious demographic in particular. Criticism and offending any other demographic is not socially acceptable any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's just a sh*t ad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Who are the snowflakes, those that made the video, or those who have polluted the internet in recent days to voice their outrage over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

batgoat wrote: »
    I'm not insulted, bit odd to be.

If you don't find the portrayal of men in that ad insulting, I'd find that far more odd (unless you actually are a mansplaining sexual harasser).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

It's the new marketing method. Basically trolling right wing reactionaries and they make your ad go viral. PETA did it recently with an ad about stopping meat based slogans, the right went nuts, hadn't heard anything about PETA in years suddenly they are everywhere. Same with Greggs vegan sausage roll. The folks being triggered by this advertising style are the same people who call those fighting for basic human rights snowflakes. Think it's great promotions, coke and hookers all round for the marketing department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Bit of a stupid ad but whats new there.
    Doubt it will hurt Procter & Gamble and their $50 billion in annual revenue, considering they make just about all cosmetic and cleaning products!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Where's the ad for toxic femininity?

The trauma of poorly made sandwiches, badly ironed shirts and being nagged at that time of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Doesn't every ad for women basically say you are ugly, fat, lazy, your house/family are a mess and you eat crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think it's a bit weird in places. Like preventing a man from speaking to a woman he doesn't know in public is something that the self-appointed sharia police in Saudi would do. Is that carry on to now be tolerated in the western popular media?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Imagine getting upset over an ad for razor blades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

20Cent wrote: »
    Doesn't every ad for women basically say you are ugly, fat, lazy, your house/family are a mess and you eat crap.

It sells though, maybe men are just less open to criticism from advertisers.

Advertisement