Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your fashion new years resolution?

Options
  • 26-12-2013 1:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Mine is minimalism - im forever going into mango,pennys & h&m,i have piles and piles of clothes im unwilling to throw out to the charity bin,so i have to spend a lot of time ebaying them off.

Im going to spend less on clothes altogether,i find myself going into shops when i know i dont need to. I even found myself the other day being talked into buying a pair of jeans i dont need,i have over 10 of them at home already and lost count after i bought the tenth pair this year.

I buy into fashion fads aswell which dont always suit me,and then get stuck with wearing it for the next few weeks until something new comes in.

I would like to streamline my wardrobe without throwing out key pieces/classics but i just dont know where to start :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I'm going to do a big wardrobe clear out in the New Year. I got some lovely things for Christmas so it's time to get rid of some older things. I'm also going to stop buying as much disposable fashion and invest in more good quality pieces that will last. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I'm going to do a big wardrobe clear out in the New Year. I got some lovely things for Christmas so it's time to get rid of some older things. I'm also going to stop buying as much disposable fashion and invest in more good quality pieces that will last. :)

Yeah that sounds good,im just interested to know what are quality pieces in your book?

I personally havent a clue where to start here..I was looking at the piles of clothes i have in my wardrobe,i literally do not even have room to see into my wardrobe the clothes are stacked so closely together..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l need to cut back on buying dresses and heels, have way too many going out clothes and feck all casual...plus gonna buy better quality things like boots, jeans t-shirts so they'll last longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Yeah that sounds good,im just interested to know what are quality pieces in your book?

I personally havent a clue where to start here..I was looking at the piles of clothes i have in my wardrobe,i literally do not even have room to see into my wardrobe the clothes are stacked so closely together..

For me it would be things like a little black dress, a crisp white shirt, a well fitting blazer, quality jeans, cashmere sweaters, a trench coat, a well fitting pencil skirt...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Thank you now at least i know what to look for i will have to scramble through all my clothes this evening and do a big sort out so i know what im selling and what im keeping..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Whatever fits you, has a good shape and suits your style. I have some Mango or H&M pieces that I consider investment because they fit me well and are versatile. There is no point saying how a good suit is an investment piece if you will never wear it. I happen to love trench coats (and hate parkas) but I think there are a lot of women at the moment who have investment trench coat in their wardrobe and wear non investment parka all the time. So just keep whatever you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Last year I set myself the task of not buying clothes from Pennys' every other week. I felt that I wasn't getting value for money in terms of the items I was buying and everyone I saw in college or on a night out had what I was wearing.

**Disclaimer: not that there is anything wrong with Pennys - it's just that I was buying things for the sake of being a cheap price, and not really because the cut/shape suited me. I still venture into Pennys on a regular basis (I haven't boycotted the place completely :p), just to suss what's what. And if I do see something I like, I usually take time to mull over buying it (will I really wear it......etc.)

I have also developed a habit of checking clothing labels to gauge what the true quality of a piece is and determine how well it would wash/stand the test of time (I sound like an auld one :pac: but it pays to check!)

So I'd like to continue with these resolutions.....

Otherwise, I'd like to save up a bit of money so I can purchase a few high quality items - shoes, a new leather jacket and a nice handbag are all on my list.

Also, perhaps not directly relevant, but I'd like to go on a shopping holiday to London (or maybe New York, if I win the lotto :D), before the year is out.

Here's to a fashionable 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

I also vowed to do a wardrobe clear-out and only buy classic, wearable, durable, good quality items from now on.

One resolution I really intend sticking to is not buy any shoes this year. I donated a bag of them to a charity store earlier this year and still have way too many. It's ridiculous. I do want a pair of boots but will only buy when I have enough money to do so. Holding out for as long as possible means I'm buying them because I really need them, rather than merely wanting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Like a poster above I'm going to try to stop going to pennys all the time. I have a habit of going there wirh the intention of buying nothing then end up spending a fortune! :(
    I am going to cut back on buying going out clothes- there really is no need for a new outfit every weekend!
    I plan on using the money I will save from doing the above to buy new jewelllery/ handbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I'm not going to buy any more black dresses. I love black, but I'm putting my foot down! I wear a lot of flats so I'm going to resist buying several pairs in cheaper shops and go for one or two proper pairs from somewhere else instead. This is gonna be tough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I am going to try stop buying from Penneys so often. I have developed a terrible habit of going in and buying things I don't need.

Secondly, I have become dreadful for buying necklaces. I think I have bought about twenty (maybe more, as I gave a few away!) over the last two months which is ridiculous. I blame Topshop for their 3.50 sale and New Look with their 20% promotions.

looks like we're all disowning pennys :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My problem is that when I find something I like, I buy it in every colour available so my wardrobe tends to be somewhat repetitive. I'd like to have more variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Oh ye girls and Pennys, I dont think Ill ever understand the love.
    Christmas time I made the mistake off going into one with my sister, was there for what felt like hours and met every girl Ive ever in my life talked to in there.
    My resolution is to move away from my surfer look to a more classic look no matter how much people say I shouldnt

I wanna buy a good pair of boots also l can wear most days, that can go with anything...has anyone any ideas? lm sick of pennys pumps wasted so much money on they l could have put the money towards a good shoe :(

I wanna buy a good pair of boots also l can wear most days, that can go with anything...has anyone any ideas? lm sick of pennys pumps wasted so much money on they l could have put the money towards a good shoe :(

I'm the same and I say it every year that I will get myself a good pair of boots but never do.

I was in Clarks today, a shop I would never usually go to and they had some really nice pairs that look durable and attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Stop buying crop tops when I actually have no intention of losing my couple extra lbs! Instead buy things that flatter me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Pang wrote: »
    I'm the same and I say it every year that I will get myself a good pair of boots but never do.

I was in Clarks today, a shop I would never usually go to and they had some really nice pairs that look durable and attractive.

I bought a pair in Clarks yesterday that look fab and are v comfy (so far!)

I bought a pair in Clarks yesterday that look fab and are v comfy (so far!)

Ooh that's really encouraging to hear! I might just invest! Thanks for the update.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Pang wrote: »
    Ooh that's really encouraging to hear! I might just invest! Thanks for the update.:)

I bought these 20352143_right_520x351.jpg but really like the look of these too

20356679_right_520x351.jpg

My fashion resolutions?
    - Lose weight so I can finally wear some nice, sexy clothes
    - Stop buying clothes that don't flatter me, or that I leave in the wardrobe with tags still on, or that I buy and think 'I just need to lose a few lbs first....'
    - Try to buy better quality pieces (think the boots are a start, and my bf has bought me 2 dresses that are too small for me yet but are too beautiful to return plus I need to lose weight anyway!)

• Advertisement

I bought these but really like the look of these too

They are both really lovely. Really like the pair you bought.

Advertisement