Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get commercial tax?

• 26-04-2019 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Im a sole trader and just purchased a small caddy van, how do I go about commercial tax as I have no vat number etc ? Can I put in my pps number on the RF111a goods only declaration form or use one of my mates business vat number ? Any help appreciated ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,039 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You don't need a VAT number, your PPS will do, then sign the declaration. Definitely don't use your friends VAT number, there could be serious issues with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Think you'll also need insurance that the vehicle is for commercial use.

When submitting a "Goods Only" Declaration form RF111A you must also submit your original motor insurance certificate confirming that you are insured for business use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

it depends what county you're in - some will look for proof that you've registered your sole trader status with Revenue, others will look for commercial insurance - probably best to check with your local MTO.

But definitely use your own PPSN not anybody else's number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

...and please let us know how you get on, and what County Office you Taxed your Van with.
    No harm in helping other folks later on :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I will do folks , i also heard putting IE before your PPS is meant to work .... so for example your old is 1234567k

Use IE1234567K

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pudzey101 wrote: »
    I will do folks , i also heard putting IE before your PPS is meant to work .... so for example your old is 1234567k

Use IE1234567K

I’ve never had to put IE in front of my PPS when taxing a crew cab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

You may need to get the vehicle weighed aswell at a registered weigh bridge and submit that to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

When you register as a sole trader your pps number is now your business number, so just put that on the form.
    If taxing the vehicle for the first time for commercial use it will need to be weighed.
    If you register for vat then your business number will have IE in front of it.
    Check your insurance policy covers you for business use AND social and domestic pleasure etc.. as some do not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

neris wrote: »
    You may need to get the vehicle weighed aswell at a registered weigh bridge and submit that to

That will be done at the time of conversion or registration. Once done at the initial stage it never needs to be done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

kceire wrote: »
    pudzey101 wrote: »

Use IE1234567K

I’ve never had to put IE in front of my PPS when taxing a crew cab.

When you register for vat as a sole trader your vat number will be your pps number with IE in front of it, you don't need to put IE in front of your pps number for that form as you don't have to be vat registered to tax it commercially.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Technically your VAT number does not include the IE prefix, the IE prefix is simply a way for Ireland to gain an EORI number for all companies.
    Plenty of older companies out there without the IE prefix and all well and good.
    From memory all older companies in Ireland were assigned an EORI back in 2009 but loads have no use for it

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Smokie399

Sorry to drag up an older thread but what county was the van taxed in for a finish up and what documentation was needed. Also does a van have to be taxed in the same county as the registered owner address

Advertisement