Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leptospirosis

• 25-04-2019 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi, I just want to know what time of the year do you vaccinate for lepto. I used to do it years ago.Has it to be done twice the first year?Is it necessary to do the maiden heifers as well?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

edward901 wrote: »
    Hi, I just want to know what time of the year do you vaccinate for lepto. I used to do it years ago.Has it to be done twice the first year?Is it necessary to do the maiden heifers as well?

The vaccine isn’t available I’m Ireland until the end of May and you’ll have to order it. Yes twice the first year and once a year after that all breeding animals and stock bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭edward901

Any idea how much per animal is the vaccine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Not dear at all. I got 50ml last year for bout 70 euro delivered. 2 ml per animal so just hindered 3 euro per head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Valentine's day and paddy's day is the dates for lepto. Easy to remember.
    Cant be got though. Heifers got there first vaccine this year but couldny get any for there booster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cant be got though. Heifers got there first vaccine this year but couldny get any for there booster

We used to have to vaccinate every 6 months. Had a terrible problem with lepto. We stretched it out gradually to once a year and they are done in June now each year. It works for us. I have vaccine ordered, promised to get it in May. We are in the glanbia health screening and it's showing up ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

With 12 mth cover I've started doing mine in early spring before heavy workload.
    Was lucky buying before Xmas.
    Vet reckons do at housing and tie in with Ibr.
    He also says there is a trend towards vaccinating calves before any major exposure. Anyone doing it.
    Effectively an extra shot over there lifetime .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

CAHL are importing a different lepto vac under licence, should be available in early June.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/alternative-lepto-vaccine-to-be-imported-455303

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Can you treat an animal Lepto or do you only vaccinate to prevent it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Can you treat an animal Lepto or do you only vaccinate to prevent it?

If they have it a course of pen/strep will deal with it but you have to wait a bit till vaccinating then. If they have tested +ve for it vaccinating is the best way going forward once current outbreak dealt with. Chat with the vet.
    Have to do the cow's here from scratch again, first shot this week and booster 4 weeks time. Was only able to get enough to do the heifers.

Is it ok to vaccinate cows that are due to calf over the next few weeks.I have already vaccinated the maiden heifers and half of the milking cows.I will need 2 more bottles to do the rest of the herd.The bottles come in 25 vaccine amounts.In order to use up all of the 2 bottles I want to know is it alright to do the remaining cows that are due to calf. The vaccine is to be used fully within a short time of opening it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Is it ok to vaccinate cows that are due to calf over the next few weeks.I have already vaccinated the maiden heifers and half of the milking cows.I will need 2 more bottles to do the rest of the herd.The bottles come in 25 vaccine amounts.In order to use up all of the 2 bottles I want to know is it alright to do the remaining cows that are due to calf. The vaccine is to be used fully within a short time of opening it up.
    We did them Patrick’s day for Lepto. Calved or not calved they all got it. Calved subsequently with no issues. Possibly 15 calved post vaccine with zero issues.

We do everything in January for Lepto, no issues whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Animals and humans should be vaccinated when they are at their healthiest if possible. This gives the best resistance possible.i

If you vaccinate a sick of heavily pregnant animal they might develop a lesser response and have poorer immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I have a 50 ml (25 doses) of Spirovac.
    As I wont use it all I am wondering if I taped the vial immediately and put it back in the fridge, would it still be effective to use it again to give second doses to two heifers in 4 - 6 weeks after the first dose/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

As I wont use it all I am wondering if I taped the vial immediately and put it back in the fridge, would it still be effective to use it again to give second doses to two heifers in 4 - 6 weeks after the first dose/

Wondering exactly the same thing. Leptovoid only comes in 25 doses which is a pain when you have 27 to do. I chanced taking 4 ml from the second bottle and sealing it and putting it back in fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Jack C wrote: »
    Wondering exactly the same thing. Leptovoid only comes in 25 doses which is a pain when you have 27 to do. I chanced taking 4 ml from the second bottle and sealing it and putting it back in fridge.

What I do in than instance, I inject slightly less than the 2 ml, and get all 27 covered.

It's air entering the vial when opened that affects vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

No it won't.

Anyone know if it is ok to use the remainder of a lepto vaccine in 6 weeks time.Will it be ok in the fridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just read the data sheet. Shelf life after opening is 8 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Last year I used imported Lepto Vaccine; this year I had a considerable number of cows that were empty.

Did anyone else who used the imported Lepto vaccine have similar experience ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Last year I used imported Lepto Vaccine; this year I had a considerable number of cows that were empty.

Did anyone else who used the imported Lepto vaccine have similar experience ?

I buy in pretty much all replacement stock. I vaccinate for *known* viruses in the herd, no more, no less. Why vaccinate for viruses you *might* get...?...unless your vet/medicine provider needs financial support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Why vaccinate for viruses you *might* get...?

That's the very principle behind the production of Vaccines.

I buy in pretty much all replacement stock. I vaccinate for *known* viruses in the herd, no more, no less. Why vaccinate for viruses you *might* get...?...unless your vet/medicine provider needs financial support?

Lepto is a bacteria, Dawg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis

And as it also is transmissable to humans, it would be considered standard procedure to vaccinate to protect the health of anybody working with the animals in a herd.

Advertisement