Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thorns on backroads causing punctures.

• 25-04-2019 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Seriously, am I just super unlucky or does anybody else constantly get flat tubes from tiny little thorns and gorse?
    No matter how carefully I try to ride I regularly seem to end up with small pin pricks in my tyres.

I'm using impac smartpac tyres mostly for commuting and doing errands rurally. The lad in the shop told me I'd be hard pushed to get a flat on those...but nope. I've had 3 in the space of two weeks now.

Is this just a fact of life for cycling? Can I expect to be at least patching my tube a couple times a month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I think you are unlucky. I cycled just over 11,000km last year and only had 3 punctures. I have done 3,660km so far this year without a puncture (touch wood). I use Continental Grand Prix 4000s which have a Vectran layer for puncture protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I’ve had 1 puncture in 15000km with Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres.

Pain in the arse to get on though, you’ll need steel core tyre levers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I had a spate of these last year from August on... Having gone thousands of km without a puncture I then had 3-4 in a month. All small thorns that needed to be picked out, multiple different bikes/tyres. Drove me mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dunno how many miles, but no punctures in almost 30 years(as far back as when I commenced my teens). Wish my luck was a bit more spread around.

I lie, one puncture and that was when changing tyres and I pinched the tube with a lever.

I've ridden some ****ty roads such as the "road" from Croagh Patrick into Westport during Gaelforce and such races on road bikes so it's not like I've been taken it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Never heard of those tyres which would suggest they’re not as good as the shop suggested and they’re only trying to sell what they stock.

I’ve been using Michelin Lithion 2’s for the last 18 months on back country roads and never had a puncture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I'm using impac smartpac tyres ....
    Aren't they MTB/CX tyres?

Are you on a standard road bike?
    What pressure are you running them at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Impact are Schwalbes economy brand. If you’re commuting it make sense to invest in good tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

You must be just unlucky. I've been spinning around north co dub 3 times a week for the last 2yrs on these tyres with no punctures.
    Invest in better tyres maybe will help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've had three punctures in the last 15,000km or so, two caused by inattention/laziness resulting in me letting the tyre get too low and having pinch flats on the commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lets put it this way. €28-30 is the starting point for good tyres(Gators, Dillos, 5000s). Yours are €13. The lad in the shop was talking crap. They're knobbly perhaps but unarmoured so provide jack all protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's usually freshly tractor trimmed hedges with big feck off pieces of debris strewn across the road that get me, not small thorns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Are you riding too close to the edge of the road. Traffic would normally be keeping the nearside wheel track clean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, it's not the usual time of year for dealing with thorns, unless there's a lot of illegal hedge cutting near you. usually it's more of an issue in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I also got a torn in a 40mm tyre last week, after not having had a puncture in ages...

If you check the pressure of your tyres every time before going out and you don't over pump them, I guess it is just down to luck or like someone said, riding to close to the side of the road (which is also dangerous)
    If you don't, get in the habit to have your tyres clean, checked and at the right pressure before going for a spin!

I only use Continental these days, Gatorskin, GP4000 or Speed King. I can't fault them...

Happy punctureless miles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I noticed on Continental CX tyres previously that once the knobbly bits had worn back a bit, thorn punctures became so frequent that the tyres were effectively useless. It's like the rubber between the knobbly bits had no inherent puncture resistance, and that the manufacturer was relying on the knobs to provide the resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Thanks for the replies.
    It's a hybrid bike, an expensive scott one.

Just went out to the shed and checked and I have another flat! possibly from the same puncture I patched over the weekend.

I live very rurally...the kind of roads I cycle have grass growing in the middle until I get down to the village/town. Hence why I chose something with a good strong looking tyre because I knew the roads arent the best.

I've done approximately 500km since buying them.

I think it's the last straw. I'm going to toss these shítty tyres and buy some good expensive ones and possibly just toss the tubes too. They both have one patch each now.

Feeling a bit pee'd off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I live very rurally...the kind of roads I cycle have grass growing in the middle until I get down to the village/town. Hence why I chose something with a good strong looking tyre....

That’s the thing, you didn’t chose them, your LBS duped you into buying cheap ****ty tyres because that’s what they have in stock. Just out if interest how much did you pay for them? They’re available on line for €13 so quite likely the cheapest tyre you could possibly buy.

If you ride only on roads then you don’t need knobbly tyres, buy quality road tyres with good puncture resistance.

also, are you sure you're getting all the thorns out before fitting the replacement tubes?

Are you sure it the thorns that are causing the punctures?

It may be dislodged rim tape. Are your patches on the wheel side of the tubes or on the road side?

What size tyres does the bike take? We might be able to recommend replacements and put up some links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes on country backroads it's a big problem for me when roadside tree trimming season kicks in every year. My parents live in the country so If I wish to visit them I have no choice but to take the country roads. No attempt is made to clean up the debris. There is so much you can clearly see it strewn all over the road and no attempt is made by the workers to clean it up. Last year a twig with thorns got suck in my tier. It was welded in such that I left it stuck on till I got home, otherwise if I pulled it out I'd be flat in an instant. Some of the thorns are like metal I can't believe how strong they are when I have to pull them out of the tyre with a pliers. They should not be allowed to leave all the cuttings strewn all over the roads.

• Advertisement

I should also mention I sometimes cross a farm lane. It's fairly good surface on it but that probably doesn't help.

also, are you sure you're getting all the thorns out before fitting the replacement tubes?

Yep. Inspected them outside and inside of the tyre. Pulled the thorns out with a pliers. Ran my fingers around the inside. could find nothing.
    they're on the road side.

Here. Lots of this needing plucking out.

Tiny pin pricks only visible on the tube once I run it through a basin of water to see the bubbles.

UaIyJO6.jpg
    Are you sure it the thorns that are causing the punctures?

It may be dislodged rim tape. Are your patches on the wheel side of the tubes or on the road side?

What size tyres does the bike take? We might be able to recommend replacements and put up some links.

700x42C / 50 TPI. Not sure what that means. I think the tube is 28".
    As for pumping them back up. I usually just guage it by feeling it and comparing it to how the tyres came when i bough the bike. Fairly rigid but not rock solid or anything.

I'm thinking of just going for a decent set of schwalbe marathons. I learned how to change these tubes/tyres no problem. They're fairly easy and just need one tyre lever to get off and put them back on with my fingers only.
    But if I go off and get a set of schwalbe then I'm afraid I won't be able to push them back on with my fingers if they're ultra rigid.
    I only have a cheapo pair of levers too. Would scratch the wheel if I was too rough.

Great, more money i need to spend! lol

....700x42C / 50 TPI. Not sure what that means....

.....I'm thinking of just going for a decent set of schwalbe marathons. I learned how to change these tubes/tyres no problem. They're fairly easy and just need one tyre lever to get off and put them back on with my fingers only.
    But if I go off and get a set of schwalbe then I'm afraid I won't be able to push them back on with my fingers if they're ultra rigid......l
    Shwalbe Marathon Plus 700x35, 700x38 or 700x40 should do the job then. They tend be be a bit wider than other brands of the same width so 'size down'.

They are difficult to fit when new. If doing it at home, use cable ties to secure each section as you get it on the wheel. Then cut the ties when all the tyre is fitted. Hopefully you won't ever need to remove/fit on the road. I put 23,000kms on a pair on a commuting bike without puncturing.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-marathon-plus-road-tyre-smart-guard/rp-prod24544

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

As someone on here said years ago "Schwalbe Marathon Plus... Fit them... Forget them". Have a pair on my commuter 3 years now and not one flat. Did 14,000km cycle tour on another pair and only had 5-6 punctures in that time frame. They also last ages and ages

Shwalbe Marathon Plus 700x35, 700x38 or 700x40 should do the job then. They tend be be a bit wider than other brands of the same width so 'size down'.

They are difficult to fit when new. If doing it at home, use cable ties to secure each section as you get it on the wheel. Then cut the ties when all the tyre is fitted. Hopefully you won't ever need to remove/fit on the road. I put 23,000kms on a pair on a commuting bike without puncturing.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-marathon-plus-road-tyre-smart-guard/rp-prod24544

Thanks a lot for this. It really helps.

I've actually opted to go for marathon mondials though because I'm entertaining the idea of going on more farm lanes and I'd like the option of the extra off road protection and I want to do some more long distance greenway stuff and putting my bike on the train this summer.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-mondial-touring-tyre-dd/rp-prod143795

It seems to have all the same performance of the tyre you linked too.

I hate being that guy but could you also recommend a tube?

I'm new-ish to cycling and these numbers are pretty confusing.

when I try to match up whats written on my tube with the website its like...what.... The tube says 28 but the website only gives a 27.5 or 700c option.

This is my tube size. Perhaps its possible the wheel size is different? I could have sworn it was a 27" or a 27.5" wheel/tyre. waOFdgJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I've actually opted to go for marathon mondials though because I'm entertaining the idea of going on more farm lanes and I'd like the option of the extra off road protection and I want to do some more long distance greenway stuff and putting my bike on the train this summer.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-mondial-touring-tyre-dd/rp-prod143795

when I try to match up whats written on my tube with the website its like...what.... The tube says 28 but the website only gives a 27.5 or 700c option.

This is my tube size. Perhaps its possible the wheel size is different? I could have sworn it was a 27" or a 27.5" wheel/tyre. waOFdgJ.jpg

28" and 700c is the same thing. The tube is grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Have you bought the mondials yet? They're overkill imo. I cycled with a guy who had them in Georgia (not great roads) and he found them tough going over the long term. With that said I don't think he ever got a puncture.

One thing I've found with these super tyres is you need to pull the thorns/glass/barbs out regularly. On big busy roads I found I was pulling pieces of wire from truck tyres out nearly daily. And that was on tarmac. If left in even the best tyres will pop.

As for tubes, I've never had a problem with the cheapest Chinese stuff to the more expensive ones... Once the valve is decent. I think you need 700s. My touring bike is 26" so not 100% sure

So my tyres are 44-622 (26x1.65) 700 x 42C. Went out and double checked.

Too bad I can't seem to find a single schwalbe marathon that matches that. This is such a headwreck honestly. A lot of them are 700 x 40C

will 40c fit my 42c tyre?

...will 40c fit my 42c tyre?
    Yes - and 35's will probably also fit. Most rims will accept various widths.

Schwalbe Marathon tyres tend to be wider than what they state. For example a 700x25 is wider than a 700x28 in other brands.

Yes - and 35's will probably also fit. Most rims will accept various widths.

Schwalbe Marathon tyres tend to be wider than what they state. For example a 700x25 is wider than a 700x28 in other brands.

Thank you. I'm going to go ahead and buy the 700x40c so. praying that theres no other magic number im missing and theyll actually fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

also, it's not the usual time of year for dealing with thorns, unless there's a lot of illegal hedge cutting near you. usually it's more of an issue in the winter.

There's no illegal cutting of roadside hedging, it can be cut anytime during the year. The restrictions are for hedging that doesn't run along roads or the inside of roadside hedging.

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's no illegal cutting of roadside hedging, it can be cut anytime during the year....
    I thought that only applies where the hedge was actually deemed to be unsafe - i.e. obstructing road users or obscuring signage. Otherwise the normal March-September restriction applies.

i'll have to read up on the latest act (i.e. travesty) signed into law by josepha madigan, but yep, the previous one allowed for hedge cutting along roads specifically for road safety reasons.

Advertisement