Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Feargal Quinn

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    His shops were the first to have little mini shopping trollies for the kids . They had a little Superquinn flag on a pole ! The kids loved them and Feargal would spot a little flag bobbing by and always chat to the little ones .

The branding in SW was really good and strong- every little detail had the green and white had that logo. SV throw all that in the bin.
    There were so many little touches to the stores that put them head and shoulders above the competition.
    I reckon it was the arrival of aldi and Lidl that really put them under pressure as shopping habits changed majorly after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

If it didn't scan you got the item free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭8mv

begbysback wrote: »
    Is this the man responsible for the tastiest sausages in the world?

I worked in Superquinn Northside for many years - my first manager, Pat Kelly, was given the task of developing the Superquinn sausage. For a few months he and two of the butchers iirc tried out different recipes - we staff were the guinea pigs who had to have sausages for morning break and report back - difficult times!
    As most have already pointed out, the ethos came from the top down - FQ was a lovely guy and always approachable and easy to talk with. Always asked the right questions and never raised his voice, to the best of my knowledge.
    In all honesty, I don't think I ever heard a bad word about Feargal Quinn from any staff members. He was always pleasant and when I became a department manager I met with him on an almost weekly basis. Sometimes we would get a phone call from Finglas or Sutton to say that Feargal was on his way and there would be a mild panic as the manager checked that everything was OK in each dept. - not for fear of getting a bollocking, but just to make sure that standards were kept and not let the side down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

road_high wrote: »
    I reckon it was the arrival of aldi and Lidl that really put them under pressure as shopping habits changed majorly after that.

ALDI and LIDl are simply not in the same realm of supermarket that Superquinn was - there is nothing like it around anymore.

Feargal excelled most of all at customer service.

We would do ANYTHING for a customer. We had one woman who would arrive and request that someone push her trolley and take the items she wanted off the shelves, put them in, bring her through the check out, and out to her car - and we would provide a staff member to do all of that no problem - personal shopping!! You could charge for that kind of service but he didnt.

There was a top down ethos of friendly and efficient customer service. Sometimes when young teenagers started as casuals they might have a bit of a surly or indifferent attitude - that either changed or they were out. It was not acceptable not to have a bright smile and a helpful demeanor.

I often wore the green Superquinn sash around and was basically a customer ambassador, just wandering up to people to ask were they ok, was there anything I could do to help them. Feargal was in one day when i was doing that and commended me on my attentiveness to customers.

Training was provided to the lowest level of staff, part time casual workers on just above minimum wage got full training. You came away from that job with experience and customer service training the like of which I have not experienced in any job since. You could go to an interview for a "proper" job and tell them you had worked in Superquinn part time through school and college and it meant something.

He invested in staff and it was repaid by loyalty and good service.

One of a kind was Feargal, he will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think with Lidl the market became focused mainly on price - people spending proportional less and less on groceries whereas as 25-30 years the big shop was a huge ritual and part of the weekly budget. That’s changed a lot now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Was thinking about this thread and Feargal Quinn again.

Some of his shops were in the worst areas of Dublin. But he never dropped his standards and treated people with class.

I know it was capitalism , but he had a sort of social aspect to his ideas. .

Slow builder this, lots of more stories to come of his generosity of spirit. He had been out of the limelight for a while.

How long was he Ill and and what was the condition ?

Advertisement