Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spate of windows smashed, Dublin 7

• 24-04-2019 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Lots of side windows being smashed in my area Dublin 7 at the moment. Mine was done on Saturday early evening with a screwdriver. Nothing taken except a few coins from the ashtray. Didn't try to start the car or anything. Guard asked if I wanted it taken for a technical. I asked him if he'd seen 'The Big Lebowski' and he laughed.

Autoglass guy there this morning fixing a car on same street as mine.

Don't know why so many in the same area recently.
    Teenagers? Thieves? Autoglass?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lots of side windows being smashed in my area Dublin 7 at the moment. Mine was done on Saturday early evening with a screwdriver. Nothing taken except a few coins from the ashtray. Didn't try to start the car or anything. Guard asked if I wanted it taken for a technical. I asked him if he'd seen 'The Big Lebowski' and he laughed.

You could always get some of this stuff fitted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

The dirty bastards

CJhaughey wrote: »

What's the use of that? The window is still damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,463 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Likely checking the boot for stuff to rob, scumbags.

What part of Dublin 7 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Phibsboro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I fitted a window from a breakers so only cost me €30 and my time. And a lot of vacuuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Likely checking the boot for stuff to rob, scumbags.
    Agreed. Have heard of band equipment going missing from peoples boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Common enough at sports club car parks for windows to be smashed. Happened to my sister and I believe a laptop was robbed.

Never wise to leave anything of value in the car, especially as it's not covered by insurance generally.

People in ghetto areas actually leave their cars unlocked so their windows aren't broken! Also helps to leave glovebox open and clearly empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,036 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Common enough at sports club car parks for windows to be smashed. Happened to my sister and I believe a laptop was robbed.

Never wise to leave anything of value in the car, especially as it's not covered by insurance generally.

People in ghetto areas actually leave their cars unlocked so their windows aren't broken! Also helps to leave glovebox open and clearly empty.

Unfortunately our scumbags will still smash the window.

• Advertisement

I'll take "urban legends that have never happened for 500, please, Alex".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

bubblypop wrote: »
    What part of Dublin 7 ?
    Rovers supporters cracking up after again getting stuffed by the bohs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

salonfire wrote: »

Part of me wants laminated side windows after watching the video below, but the other part of me still keeps a glass hammer under my seat.

salonfire wrote: »

You have obviously never had to clean glass out of a car.
    Plus opportunistic smash and grabs are much less likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There was a load of smashed windows in my estate not so long ago, luckily one of the houses had a camera outside. Was some junkie smashing the windows in the hope of finding cash or something else valuable he could sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

It died down for a while in phibsboro, but seems to be kicking off again, young lads from cabra coming down smashing cars on roads where they can get away easy through the laneways. 5 or 6 years ago i'd a car done 4 times in the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I park in Wicklow mountains a bit... I leave glove box open, centre storage box open, leave my parcel shelf at home etc... basically leave everything on display so they know it isn't worth smashing a window

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'll take "urban legends that have never happened for 500, please, Alex".

Just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it isn't true :)

Just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it isn't true :)

I grew up in "the ghetto", lived there for a quarter of a century. Never have I ever heard of anybody leaving their car unlocked to prevent windows being smashed.
    Sure that's how you end up with your car being hotwired, torched or, at the very least, your steering lock broken. To suggest otherwise is nonsense. Show me one person who has ever done this, and I'll show you either a liar or an idiot.

Seriously. I would normally agree with the "just because it's never happened to you...." POV........but....c'mon, lads. Leaving your car unlocked to stop scumbags from smashing your windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

I grew up in "the ghetto", lived there for a quarter of a century. Never have I ever heard of anybody leaving their car unlocked to prevent windows being smashed.
    Sure that's how you end up with your car being hotwired, torched or, at the very least, your steering lock broken. To suggest otherwise is nonsense. Show me one person who has ever done this, and I'll show you either a liar or an idiot.

Seriously. I would normally agree with the "just because it's never happened to you...." POV........but....c'mon, lads. Leaving your car unlocked to stop scumbags from smashing your windows?

Insurance wouldn’t cover you either if you did that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Dear gawwwwd,...
    And what if you need to break the glass in an emergency!?

Dear gawwwwd,...
    And what if you need to break the glass in an emergency!?
    It pushes outwards easily enough, its designed that way.

It pushes outwards easily enough, its designed that way.

Not much use for people trying to drag you out in an emergency then.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not much use for people trying to drag you out in an emergency then.
    I guess that's a risk you take yourself, everyone has to make a decision sometime.
    Pulling anyone out a car window is pretty hard though, its a small opening and people are oddly shaped and positioned in a car.

I guess that's a risk you take yourself, everyone has to make a decision sometime.
    Pulling anyone out a car window is pretty hard though, its a small opening and people are oddly shaped and positioned in a car.

Smash windows then open the door, unless in a massive crash the passenger cell should be OK so the doors will open once you can access the internal release. But as with all driving it's a risk that each person needs to decide for themselves.

You have obviously never had to clean glass out of a car.
    Plus opportunistic smash and grabs are much less likely.

Is it obvious that the window has a protective film over it to prevent it breaking through? I'm not familiar with the thing.

Advertisement