Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8ft disc mower

• 22-04-2019 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a 8ft disc mower for mowing and topping. Just wondering would I have enough power in a MF 390 and also what make people find the best? Good few dealers around offering different makes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mengele

390kid wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a 8ft disc mower for mowing and topping. Just wondering would I have enough power in a MF 390 and also what make people find the best? Good few dealers around offering different makes

I have always had Kuhn and they never let me down once. All I ever did was change blades and grease it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

390 will have no bother. Buy a Krone if you can, really well built. We’ve a Lely and a Krone and the Lely is pure chocolate in comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

390 will have no bother. Buy a Krone if you can, really well built. We’ve a Lely and a Krone and the Lely is pure chocolate in comparison

Aye the krones sticking out to me aswell heard the heaviest of the lot and easier to change bearings

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Work a 7 foot Vicon cm2200 disc mower (3 blades per disc) here with a 390T, no bother to it

josephsoap wrote: »
    Work a 7 foot Vicon cm2200 disc mower (3 blades per disc) here with a 390T, no bother to it

How do you find the vicon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Krone or kverneland really good

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Great mower, just sorry I didn’t buy an 8 foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

Aye the krones sticking out to me aswell heard the heaviest of the lot and easier to change bearings

Yea, whatever you get make sure all of the bearings can be replaced without splitting the whole bed in 2. Will be a priority for my next mower as I've had to split my current one twice. Kevernland mower looks good for maintenance too with a strong fully welded bed.

But size wise your 390 should be fine, have driven 8ft mowers with one in the past and currently use a 390T for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Never opened a Krone to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

josephsoap wrote: »
    Great mower, just sorry I didn’t buy an 8 foot.

Have an 8 foot one here. Great mower and leaves a lovely clean cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Grueller

Are they not a kverneland in drag? I may be wrong on that.

Grueller wrote: »
    Are they not a kverneland in drag? I may be wrong on that.

Other way around. Vicon mower stamped kverneland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭hopeso

What are the locally produced mowers like? I mean Major and Malone..... But, I suppose if they're costing as much as an established make, there's no point chancing them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aonsceal

They were the favourite of the month a while back. Every Irish manufacturer seemed to be releasing a model, McHale,major, Malone, Keltic, tol.

Resale values and depreciation were unknowns in a market which is saturated with established brands. They seem to be a hard sell now. Atkins have new major in stock for 5000 to clear.

Was in the market for a mower a few seasons ago, and settled on Kuhn. The price differential between all brands wasn't massive maybe a few hundred euro. Don't leave it too late to purchase as each importer has a limited stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Bought a krone. Solid machine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have a Vicon 8' and use a 2wd CX 80 to run it. There is a weight block in front with 200 kgs of weights on it. You would.need the weight. Contractor costs 2/ bale to mow. He has a good baler to pack bales. Crops are 7-8 bales/ acre. I usually let him mow as well. He miss,rakes and bales @10/ bale

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,198 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's mounted or trailed? I would guess still mounted at that width but would a 390 be alright weight wise? I'm sure it would do it, but would it be handle it comfortably?

(Not sure I'd use a good disc mower for topping either!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

That's mounted or trailed? I would guess still mounted at that width but would a 390 be alright weight wise? I'm sure it would do it, but would it be handle it comfortably?

Have been mowing with a 390T on 8ft mower for last 10 years with no issues. But I suppose some brands may weigh more than others.

Ye it’s a mounted mower. I honestly don’t know meself because we never had one have used a few on similar tractors. I know what you mean about the topping but if I buy it I have to use it.

Got quoted 8250 for a krone and 7800 for a tarrup today both can be financed over 5 years so that would take the sting out of it. Waiting on call back from lely and vicon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Got quoted 8250 for a krone and 7800 for a tarrup today both can be financed over 5 years so that would take the sting out of it. Waiting on call back from lely and vicon

Is that an 8 foot

Dunedin wrote: »
    Is that an 8 foot

It is ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What about a kverneland

Reggie. wrote: »
    What about a kverneland

Think a kverneland and tarrup are the same not sure do

Think a kverneland and tarrup are the same not sure do

Kverneland/Taarup are a vicon. I think they come with the round disc as opposed to the traditional triangle disc on the vicon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Use a 9' front mounted kverneland on a moffett 390 here, (gearbox turned), super job. I call it the Small M!
    Identical to Taarup, didn't know about the vicon origin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What are ppl's opinions on 3 blades vs 2 blades per disc? AFAIK Krone have 3. Do 3 blades do a cleaner job?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Krone have 2 blades per disc.....

AFAIK the only mower that had the 3 blades per disc was the Vicon, but not being manufactured in that format anymore...

We had a Vicon here, I can't say the cut was any better than a 2 blade type tbh, I just remember it being a pain having to change all the blades... they were the bolt on types. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

blue5000 wrote: »
    What are ppl's opinions on 3 blades vs 2 blades per disc? AFAIK Krone have 3. Do 3 blades do a cleaner job?

Krone are 2 unless the older ones had 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

You must be cutting the world of stuff to justify 8250 for a mower. 25 euro to mow down here with conditioner. My old mower went in the scrap lorry a while ago. Hoping to find a second hand one for maybe 20 acres a year. Am I wrong

Advertisement