Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pubs on Good Friday ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Birneybau wrote: »
    Who gives a crap? Drink/Don't drink. Most rational people couldn't give a fcuk. People like you are ruining online discourse with your sh!te.

I remember the internet when it was a place where you got to instantly message someone from the other side of the world in a chat cafe.

Thems were he days . Days of awe. Where did it all go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

L1011 wrote: »
    Family run pubs. Who are perfectly entitled to not open if they don't want to.

Well don't.
    The main issue over the years was that it's was illegal to sell alcohol in Ireland on good Friday.
    If the family run pubs don't want to open, then don't

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Del2005 wrote:
    They still can't open Christmas day. Hopefully that will change and it will be like every other day, they can open or not if they please.

I hope they remain closed Christmas DAY, its a day for being with the people closest to us, it's a special day, religious or not, would like to see them open Christmas night, say from six o'clock, think that would be fair to everyone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Holy Duck wrote:
    I hope they remain closed Christmas DAY, its a day for being with the people closest to us, it's a special day, religious or not, would like to see them open Christmas night, say from six o'clock, think that would be fair to everyone....

Shops/hotels etc are open Christmas day, what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shops/hotels etc are open Christmas day, what's the difference?

They generally dont actually at all. but its also not illegal for them to do so.

There is little market for it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Depends on if the licensee wants two days off a year!

How dare they want another day off, mutter, mutter, grumble, grumble, ruination of the day not being able to get a drink, mutter, grumble etc.
    They can close whenever they want, don't think I ever saw people complaining about publicans having the right to close. If one is closed for renovations most will have another pub nearby.

I remember some claimed publicans liked the alcohol ban on good friday, being able to get renovations done. This made no sense to me at all. People treated it like it was a random day of the year -it most certainly was not! Given the option if you owned a pub and needed renovation done would you actually decide to close the friday of a bank holiday weekend?! pure madness. A good day would be the tuesday after when everything has died down and trade is likely to be low.

Some said it was good for publicans since all were closed the same time, this also made no sense to me. If there were 2 pubs in a town, both needing renovation, even if both publicans were sworn enemies it would be stupid to decide to shut both on the same day. If one closes the regulars are likely to go to the other pub that day, and same with the other, this will go a little to offset the loss in trade when closed themselves. To close on the same day is stupid, the offies and supermarkets get that potential trade.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They still can't open Christmas day. Hopefully that will change and it will be like every other day, they can open or not if they please.
    Pretty sure they can, but just cannot serve alcohol. I remember leopardstown inn used was open some good fridays and not serving alcohol. I would like to see it lifted on christmas day too, on principle. I expect 99% would remain closed, just like most other places do on christmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

listermint wrote:
    They generally dont actually at all. but its also not illegal for them to do so.
    I live in a midland town 4 of the 6 hotels open, quite a number of the shops. One service station owner describes CD as his busiest day of the year
    listermint wrote:
    There is little market for it tbh.

The fact businesses open contradict this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A couple of garages open around my way Christmas Day for those that need petrol or in my case, forgot to buy smokes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

listermint wrote: »
    none of which has to change by the change in legislation.

like literally none.

Again, read my first post. The level of reading comprehension on this thread is awful. I was solely answering a question about who may work 7 days a week in a pub.

No pub is being required to open on Good Friday just as no pub is required to open at all - the mythological "one day a year to keep the licence" isn't even true. Pubs can, and do, set their own opening and closed days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Holy Duck wrote: »

What if people don't have family or friends or are away from their family/friends, sould they sit in alone because you want to impose your life on them? You can still have the day with your family, the publican can choose to open or not. But people shouldn't be forced to stay indoors because others think it's a day for family.

Or are people afraid that their family/friends will not choose them if there's a pub open on Christmas day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Irexit wrote:
    Just wondering if the pubs in Dublin will be open as normal on Good Friday ?

This is the 2nd year where they are allowed to open on good Friday. I can't see any reason why they would be open today. There are Four pubs in my Dublin 5 village. All four are open as they were last year

Del2005 wrote:
    What if people don't have family or friends or are away from their family/friends, sould they sit in alone because you want to impose your life on them? You can still have the day with your family, the publican can choose to open or not. But people shouldn't be forced to stay indoors because others think it's a day for family.

I know there are lots of people alone on Christmas Day, being alone is not a great place to be any day, doesn't mean they want to spend it in the pub either. If someone is willing to stand and serve behind a bar that day, good on them but I can't see many barmen stepping forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Be far better to have some public transport running on Xmas Day. At least then, those without their own transport can get out and about. Not everyone has access to a car, especially those living in the city where a car is not really a necessity anyway. Just a thought. Keep the pubs closed Xmas Day, plenty of opportunity to have a drink either in your own home or with others.

I know there are lots of people alone on Christmas Day, being alone is not a great place to be any day, doesn't mean they want to spend it in the pub either. If someone is willing to stand and serve behind a bar that day, good on them but I can't see many barmen stepping forward.

But they have the option to if they want, that's the whole point of this. If you don't want go to a pub on Christmas day then don't, but don't force others not to because you don't want to.

Plenty of people are willing to work Christmas. It's only a special day for some not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You do realise they're not being forced to open?

And not just today... Can take a day off any time they want.

Del2005 wrote:
    But they have the option to if they want, that's the whole point of this. If you don't want go to a pub on Christmas day then don't, but don't force others not to because you don't want to.

Options are great but where do you draw the line, eg, should the cinema or tayto park or the like be open as well, if you went down that route you might as well have everything open 24/7 365

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Options are great but where do you draw the line, eg, should the cinema or tayto park or the like be open as well, if you went down that route you might as well have everything open 24/7 365

Can't see what the issue would be having a cinema open 24/7 365 if there's demand for it and it's not in a residential area.
    Probably not much interest in Tayto Park at 3am on a Monday night in November.

Personally I miss the old Good Friday tradition, I liked that it broke up the pattern and inspired people to do different things. But I can't defend it rationally especially inconnvenient for any tourists... I think rather than having it as a normal day there could have been a halfway house e.g. serve drinks with a meal. But the ship has sailed now.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Mr.S wrote:
    You don't need to draw the line, that's the point. If they want to open // there is a demand for it, then go ahead. No one is going to want to 24/7 theme park, but a late night Cinema would go down well, you rarely see midnight screenings anymore where elsewhere in the world it's common)

What I'm trying to say is just because someone decides they might want to go somewhere or do something at any time of day or night, they can't expect everything and anything to be readily available at all times, some people think everything is on tap at all times, it isn't and shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

What I'm trying to say is just because someone decides they might want to go somewhere or do something at any time of day or night, they can't expect everything and anything to be readily available at all times, some people think everything is on tap at all times, it isn't and shouldn't be.

They don’t expect it. But if a business owner sees a demand for 24 hour cinema, then he may decide to take the opportunity and open one. And that’s great. Why is there a need to ‘draw a line’?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

hurler32 wrote: »
    Surprised all the liberals aren’t forcing people to drink Good Friday ... plenty of people happy enough not to have a drink Good Friday but their voice can’t be expressed due to the PC Left brigade

Their view can be expressed. But when any section of society try’s to bully their views and opinions on another group they loose credibility 100% and people don’t want to listen to them..

if you are religious and don’t drink Good Friday, grand you have that choice, quite simply, abstain and good luck to you. Up to now people who would have liked to have a drink had NO CHOICE in the matter... because of a small, small minded quango who couldn’t see past their own insecurities and infatuation with bestowing said insecurity on the greater population.

• Advertisement

They don’t expect it. But if a business owner sees a demand for 24 hour cinema, then he may decide to take the opportunity and open one. And that’s great. Why is there a need to ‘draw a line’?

Cinema was just an example, say somebody "wanted" a coffee or an ice cream in the middle of the night, should they expect to have that readily available, does no harm to stop people in their tracks now and then, its actually good for the brain I think.

they should have the right to open, and currently cinemas and tayto park do, that is what is so unfair. It is a good route to go down giving all businesses the same right to open. Is your route actually a desire to see more legal restrictions?!

The way you are talking you would swear people want places to be legally obliged to open.

Pubs open in the UK on christmas day.
    https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2018/12/13/How-many-people-go-to-the-pub-on-Christmas-Day
    worldpay estimated one in 10 brits dine out on the big day.

Cinema is a big thing in the US.
    As American tradition: going to the movies on Christmas Day

I knew a guy who worked in a statoil petrol station on christmas day, people would be fighting over who got the chance to work. They only got to do a few hours so enjoyed the break, and got far more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not a case of them wanting to step forward it’s a case of their hand being forced... if I was alone Christmas Day I’d rather stay at home with my own company then sit in a fûcking pub knowing I’m the sole reason other people cannot enjoy their day with their family. Of course the attention seekers will stand firm that it is their right to pop up on the high stool and regale the bar staff with the same anecdotes AGAIN.

Just after being flung out of the hotel, wasn't ready to call it a night yet but the barman muttered something about closing time, disgraceful carry on, what has this country become when a business can afford to turn away paying customers, place was packed by the way, group i was with would have stayed half the night.....

Just after being flung out of the hotel, wasn't ready to call it a night yet but the barman muttered something about closing time, disgraceful carry on, what has this country become when a business can afford to turn away paying customers, place was packed by the way, group i was with would have stayed half the night.....

So now you are complaining about a business not serving because they don't want to. That's exactly what I want, the business owner chooses their opening hours not an religious cult or other group of busy bodies, obviously they will have to comply with any restrictions the government applies.

barman muttered something about closing time, disgraceful carry on, what has this country become when a business can afford to turn away paying customers, place was packed by the way, group i was with would have stayed half the night.....
    You are dead right, it is totally fcuked up what these business selling alcohol have to put up with, while others get to open whenever they want. YOu say the place was packed, hotels are stuggling, real shame to see jobs/livelihoods put at risk due to this law.

If it's not religion its this completely outdated notion that everybody works a 9-5 job and therefore everybody should be tucked away in bed at midnight.

The real messed up thing is that you could have booked rooms and then they would have the legal right to serve you all night. Some hotels will, depends on demand of course -just like any other business.

And of course this law has the knock on effect of encouraging "last order" binge drinking and violence on the streets.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is this a bad time to tell you about the 24/7 Starbucks in Dublin :D (which, happens to be busy throughout the night!)

The only reason you don't see loads of 24/7 shops or services is down to demand, there's no law saying a shop can't open on Christmas day for example.

If a business owner sees a demand for whatever service (like a 24 hour shop, cinema, café etc) then so be it - why wouldn't they operate, to save some people from...going there? :confused:

Cost of security is probably more of an issue than demand - all the 24h pharmacies have gone (unless one has reappeared) with midnight the absolute latest due to security costs. There absolutely was/is demand for 24h pharmacies - and we had them until they ended up needing static security guards.

You need to turnover quite a bit to cover that cost - so that's why its just fast food, a few newsagents/Subways, one Starbucks and petrol stations that can use shutter/bin systems.

Advertisement