Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frame rates dropping sometimes since upgraded CPU

Options
  • 17-04-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

I upgraded from an i5 4460 to an i7 4790 both at stock speeds. In certain situations the frame rate is worse in games than it was before, with the same graphics card.

In Assetto Corsa when a race begins, the frame rate drops massively for a few seconds til the cars have all taken off. This never happened with my i5 on the same settings.
    Last night I was playing it again and when I went off track onto bumpy grass there was massive slow down as well.

In Wreckfest on the i7 there seems to be excessive slowdown when there are big collisions, although I didn't play this with the old i5. I have turned down some settings but it still happens on big pileups.

Performance in some emulators is also less than impressive.

I benchmarked the system on userbenchmark.com and it says the cpu is performing just above average.
    Is there any reason this might be happening and is there anything I can do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

It may be thermal throttling, did you check the temp and clock frequencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, sounds like throttling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

OK I downloaded Open Hardware Monitor and ran it while playing Assetto Corsa for about 45 minutes.
    I was hotlapping, but it did slowdown at least twice when I ran off track.
    Here are the results:
    All 4 cpu cores had a minimum clock of 3800MHz, Maximum of 4000MHz.
    The cpu cores were around the same values for temperature, minimum 30oC and maximum was 57 Celsius.
    Cores 1-3 did reach 100% load, the 4th reached 75% maximum load. Maximum of 70 watts drawn.

GPU maximum temperature was 73 Celsius and max load was 95%.

I had a look in the log around the time there was slowdown and the CPU and GPU weren't at max load and weren't throttled from what this program shows.

Are there other tests I can do?
    Any other possible causes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

To make really sure that you don't have a thermal throttling issue run a burning app like prime95 and watch the CPU temp and frequency, check if it's stable at 4GHz and the temp stays stable.
    Then you may try a BIOS reset and update if not running the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Check for bios updates for the board
    2. Reset XMP
    3. Test

• Advertisement

I had an old version of the bios, I updated last night (v5 to v9).
    XMP was disabled. Would that make a difference?
    I have just enabled Profile1 for XMP but I haven't tried any tests yet.

I ran Assetto Corsa for a while earlier, I had a couple of issues at the start but by the end I couldn't see any slow down, I tried full grids of different cars and different tracks. Happy there.

I still have to try Wreckfest.

I ran Prime95 last night and the results came up fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

XMP disabled = RAM running worse, maybe CPU too.

There's been a good improvement. Thanks everyone

Advertisement