Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Eir by letter?

Options
  • 15-04-2019 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭

I want to cancel my Eir service (broadband and phone). I'm moving to Digiweb, so as I understand it, I am 'ceasing' rather than 'switching' as Digiweb won't be using the old eircom cabling at all.

I'd prefer to do it by letter because I can't abide the idea of waiting for 30+ minutes on the phone (their estimate when I did call).

On their website they say it is possible to do so by letter, but the eir address given is for the Switch team (or something like that) so I'm wondering if I can cease that way?

Or can I walk into an eir branch and give my 30 days notice that way?

Somebody, please tell me there is another way, apart from just waiting on the phone forever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Policy for cancelling by letter:

https://www.eir.ie/switching/#switching-letter

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Marlow wrote: »
    Policy for cancelling by letter:

https://www.eir.ie/switching/#switching-letter

/M

Yeah, that is for switching, not 'ceasing'.

I got onto a rep in their chatbox and he gave me a different address for cancellations/cessations, and confirmed that as I'm no longer using the old cabling, it is 'ceasing' rather than switching'.

I would guess though that it would still work even if sent to that Switch Team' but prefer not to take that chance.

Posting the letter today. Tried to call at about 9.15 last night, but still got the 'estimated wait time is more than 30 minutes' info.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

this may not be on any help but

I was in your position a few weeks ago.
    I sent a cancellation letter to their hueston address - registered post.
    I cancelled my direct debit.

about a week later i received a call from some customer service rep about the reason i was leaving and that was it.
    I have received no confirmation that they have cancelled the contract or where to return the router to.

So basically in limbo but will not be paying them any more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tphase

osarusan wrote: »
    Yeah, that is for switching, not 'ceasing'.

actually it's for both.
    If you scroll down, there is also an address to send your request to cease service

Advertisement