Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penalty points

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shedmanstyle

So you have never ever broken the speed limit.

I doubt there is anyone who has never broke one.

Where I'm used to, I adhere, I know what they are and I'm in the sticks. My problem is when I move out of the sticks! Places can have limits randomly thrown upon you and you have to be damn careful. Far too much time watching out for speed limits signs and not nearly enough time being spent on how to drive carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

I doubt there is anyone who has never broke one.

Where I'm used to, I adhere, I know what they are and I'm in the sticks. My problem is when I move out of the sticks! Places can have limits randomly thrown upon you and you have to be damn careful. Far too much time watching out for speed limits signs and not nearly enough time being spent on how to drive carefully.

But looking at signs (and literally everything else around you) is part and parcel of driving carefully. Not looking at those signs means you're not being careful.

You shouldn't need to "watch out for speed limit signs" - you should merely see and observe them, each and every one of them. They are highly recognisable: White circle/disc with red at the edges with the numbers in bold font in the centre.

fullstop wrote: »
    The gripe I have with the Port Tunnel is sometimes the limit changes when you're in there. I usually stick the CC on at 80 going in and there have been times half way through that it changes to 60. Those signs on the side are quite small and you don't really notice the change until you're pretty close to them...an 8 looks awfully like a 6 from a distance.

Do you have a snooze or daydream as you pass through the tunnel? Why do you think that you should not have to reduce your simple observational skills when driving through the tunnel? If they change half way through, the next sign you pass will show you clearly the new speed. Do you not bother exercising basic observational skills?

A few years ago, the Chapelizod bypass had roadworks on it for quite some time (bus lane widening and road resurfacing). During the works the speed limit was 60 km/h. It's normally 80 km/h. One day I was driving to work on the eastbound side and the speed limit was 60. That very evening I was driving home on the wstbound carriageway and at the start of where the 80 used to start, I saw that the 80 sign was back up. Didn't get to do the 80 as most people were driving below this speed as they couldn't be arsed to exercise observational skills. They just assumed it was still a 60. It a a week or two before speeds got back up to the 80 mark.

The limit on both the west and east bound carriageways had been changed during that day but virtually nobody noticed and more worryingly, it was several weeks before things got back to normal. It's almost frightening to think of the lack of observation being observed by sooooo many members of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

highdef wrote: »
    Do you have a snooze or daydream as you pass through the tunnel? Why do you think that you should not have to reduce your simple observational skills when driving through the tunnel? If they change half way through, the next sign you pass will show you clearly the new speed. Do you not bother exercising basic observational skills?

A few years ago, the Chapelizod bypass had roadworks on it for quite some time (bus lane widening and road resurfacing). During the works the speed limit was 60 km/h. It's normally 80 km/h. One day I was driving to work on the eastbound side and the speed limit was 60. That very evening I was driving home on the wstbound carriageway and at the start of where the 80 used to start, I saw that the 80 sign was back up. Didn't get to do the 80 as most people were driving below this speed as they couldn't be arsed to exercise observational skills. They just assumed it was still a 60. It a a week or two before speeds got back up to the 80 mark.

The limit on both the west and east bound carriageways had been changed during that day but virtually nobody noticed and more worryingly, it was several weeks before things got back to normal. It's almost frightening to think of the lack of observation being observed by sooooo many members of the public.

God aren't you great? It's probably easy to see everything from the high horse, is it?
    Didn't I say that you wouldn't see it until you're pretty close to the signs? Or did you miss that part in the rush to do a bit of soapboxing about how much better you are than other road users?

:rolleyes:

fullstop wrote: »
    God aren't you great? It's probably easy to see everything from the high horse, is it?
    Didn't I say that you wouldn't see it until you're almost on top of the signs? Or did you miss that part in the rush to do a bit of soapboxing about how much better you are than other road users?

Not at all but when you are almost on top of the sign, you have time to gradually slow down. As long as you are being observant, you will see the first sign and act accordingly. It's highly unlikely you'll be done for slowing down a few seconds too late after the first change of limit sign as average speed throughout the tunnel is used in the port tunnel, not speed in any particular point. That being said, if you decide to do 120km/h for 500m or so and 50km/h for the rest, it's possible you could be done for that burst of speed but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm not fond of those on their high horses who believe that simple observational skills are not a prerequisite of driving on public roads :P

My so called "soapboxing" was merely to highlight the absurd amount of people who lack basic observational skills, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

highdef wrote: »

The old road into Waterford is a prime example of that behaviour, it was 80 for years after the bypass was opened and haunted with speed vans, it's been upped to 100 but people are still crawling along at 80... Does my bloody brain in. Speed vans are still there...

Advertisement