Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub with Food and Trad Music

Options
  • 11-04-2019 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm organising logistics for a training course for work. We have people coming from all over Europe for it. The person in charge of the course has asked me to organise a group dinner one night, preferably a pub that does decent food and that may have trad music playing. It would be on a Wednesday night for about 20 people.

My mind has drawn a blank. Anybody have any suggestions? Dublin City Centre preferable although guests are staying in Ballsbridge so around there would work too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Won't be cheap but aulddubliner.ie or theoldstorehouse.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Won't be cheap but aulddubliner.ie or theoldstorehouse.ie

Thank you! I will check them out. I have a bit of budget for it so hopefully the price won't be an issue :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

O'Neill's on Suffolk St. do food and music 7 nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Good few years since I’ve been in O’Neills for music but the food is top notch, one of the nicest carverys in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

I would have thought any pub in Temple Bar would fill your need. I have never met a visitor who doesn't love the place Google pubs with food and music Temple Bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I would have thought any pub in Temple Bar would fill your need. I have never met a visitor who doesn't love the place Google pubs with food and music Temple Bar.
    Food and drink in TB: Overpriced. By a long way.
    Music: Some of the finest players around, underpaid and going through the motions, just 'doing the gig'. Or a bloke with a guitar doing ballads, covers, greatest hits and usual suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Wouldn't be my cup of tea, I'd be more inclined to separate food from a trad session, but somewhere like the Arlington could fit the bill for what your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be my cup of tea, I'd be more inclined to separate food from a trad session, but somewhere like the Arlington could fit the bill for what your looking for.

I'd avoid the Arlington if you are looking for trad, though if you just want live music their upstairs bar has a good setup for that.

I was at the dinner & dancing show recently and while the food was nice and the entertainment went down a treat (though it is more Riverdance than trad trad) I couldn't recommend it as a night out. There was waiter service for drinks but at times you just couldn't find a waiter.
    And the staff behind the bar got stroppy if you went to the bar directly even though the floor staff were clearly overwhelmed with handling food & drinks.
    Plus you're already paying €40 or whatever for a ticket, then they add an extra euro to the price of drinks in the event versus the main bar upstairs.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Johnny Foxes is always popular with tourists too, bit out of the way, but that's half the charm.

Thanks all. It's not really my idea of a fun night either - I'd usually separate the music and food too, but I'm doing what I'm told from the higher ups. Temple Bar is not a place I'd frequent usually but needs must!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You could always find a suitable venue and just book some musicians.

endacl wrote: »
    You could always find a suitable venue and just book some musicians.

Yes, that's plan B! We may need to do that depending on the quality of food at places with live music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Anglers Rest.

Food is good and they usually have trad as background music (you'd need to check) Problem is it's not central.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Darkey Kelly's is well known for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you don't want Templebar but somewhere central (and lets admit, who in their right minds wants Templebar) then Darky's is great.

Its on Fishamble St, a very old street with some good history and part of The Harding Hotel which has part of the original cobbed stoned street and a public right of way through the reception area.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Jonny foxes for Holey night or the merry plowboy .. they both have busses from city

The Celt on Talbot St has decent trad 7 nights a week. The grub is top drawer as well, with Le Bon Crubeen part of the same establishment.

If you don't want Templebar but somewhere central (and lets admit, who in their right minds wants Templebar) then Darky's is great.

Its on Fishamble St, a very old street with some good history and part of The Harding Hotel which has part of the original cobbed stoned street and a public right of way through the reception area.

Thanks - it looks like it would be a great spot. I've sent off a request for info anyway so we'll see what they come back with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

+1 Darkey Kelly's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Might check this place out later

Advertisement