Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2015 Corolla diesel using oil

Options
  • 10-04-2019 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Need some advice and sorry if this is a bit long.
    My wife bought a 2015 Toyota Corrolla with 65k kms on it after Christmas. Car was serviced prior to purchase.
    On Monday the low oil warning light came on. I checked the dipstick after she came home and the oil was barely visible on the bottom of the dipstick. I checked it again the next morning and the engine cold just to be sure. The car has done about 8k kms since it was bought.
    She rang toyota today and was told that the 1.4 diesel engine uses oil to clean the filter and other parts and having to top up the oil is normal. She pointed out she never had this issue with her last 2 corrolla diesels. Evantually they agreed to take the car in, check it over and change the oil in case it was a bit low initially.
    Other than an oil leak which there is no sign externally and If the correct grade of 15w 30 oil was used is there any reason for the oil to be used?
    Has this happened anyone else?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

'Uses oil to clean the filter', not heard that yarn before.

Have you any idea when the oil was last changed in it? Would be interesting to know what the level was at when purchased, perhaps not filled properly and then very low oil consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Some engines use more than others.

Using a litre across 8k kms wouldn't be too peculiar. You are supposed to check it and top it up periodically between services. I know a lot of cars that go from one service to the next without a top up, but this isn't always the case.

I'm not saying that there isn't an issue, it could be leaking, or may not have been filled entirely after the last service, it may not have gotten a pre sales service, but it may be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

How much did you put in to bring it to the max mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do modern diesel engines still use 15/30 oil

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Car was serviced about 2 weeks before we picked it up and service book stamped accordingly. Can't be sure of the exact oil level at that stage though. Guess we will just have to keep an eye on it once they do the oil and filter change.
    Haven't topped it up as garage told her it would fine as she's covered under warranty.

• Advertisement

shane b wrote: »
    Car was serviced about 2 weeks before we picked it up and service book stamped accordingly. Can't be sure of the exact oil level at that stage though. Guess we will just have to keep an eye on it once they do the oil and filter change.
    Haven't topped it up as garage told her it would fine as she's covered under warranty.

And what would common sense tell you to do? risk running an engine that's telling you is low on oil or put in a litre of oil? I know what I'd do and it wouldn't be going on the advice of a garage that hasn't a clue on how an engine works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Do modern diesel engines still use 15/30 oil

No. A lot of them use a 5W30 full-synth and are quite particular about it.

As an update Toyota dealer has had the car for the last 3 days. There was no oil leaks found and any other checks/test they conducted returned normal results.They basically told us that the manual states that the engine is supposed to use oil and having to top up the oil is normal. Normal oil usage would be 1 litre per 1000 KM (which i think is excessive).
    They want to conduct a final dynamic test by us driving the car for 1000 km and seeing how much oil is used in the 1000 km. They have changed the oil and recorded the oil quanity used to fill the car with the correct amount of oil. We then go back to Toyota after 1000 km and they will drain the oil in the car and see how much was used.
    If its less than a 1 litre, there nothing they will do as its normal and as per manual. Over the litre it would point to either a turbo or catalytic converter issue.
    Im going the read the "manual" and see if i can find this line that states that the engine require top up between services.
    Granted I would expect an engine to use some oil between services but i wouldn't expect 15 litres between services normal. That's essentially an oil change every 5000 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I've heard the 1lt/1000km line before, not sure how accurate that is as it does seem a bit excessive.

Chances are that's the manufacturer covering themselves stating the highest amount it should burn, when in reality it should be a lot less.

Also, regardless of what anyone says when I've bought a car, I've always serviced it right away. More so for my own piece of mind so I know it was actually done.
    My most recent car (Mazda 6) I was told it was only serviced 2km previous. Done the usual bits and the oil looked like it hadn't been changed in a lot longer, as well as it being turned off mid DPF regen going by the oil level.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

The engineering truth of the situation. Engines have changed a lot in the last 10/15 years.

https://youtu.be/xa1kqSo3aeM

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement

As an update Toyota dealer has had the car for the last 3 days. There was no oil leaks found and any other checks/test they conducted returned normal results.They basically told us that the manual states that the engine is supposed to use oil and having to top up the oil is normal. Normal oil usage would be 1 litre per 1000 KM (which i think is excessive).
    They want to conduct a final dynamic test by us driving the car for 1000 km and seeing how much oil is used in the 1000 km. They have changed the oil and recorded the oil quanity used to fill the car with the correct amount of oil. We then go back to Toyota after 1000 km and they will drain the oil in the car and see how much was used.
    If its less than a 1 litre, there nothing they will do as its normal and as per manual. Over the litre it would point to either a turbo or catalytic converter issue.
    Im going the read the "manual" and see if i can find this line that states that the engine require top up between services.
    Granted I would expect an engine to use some oil between services but i wouldn't expect 15 litres between services normal. That's essentially an oil change every 5000 km.

Just dip it for oil after 1000km. Take a pic of the mileometer and dipstick now and again after 1000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Google oil change interval for diesel engines

McCrack wrote: »

That's probably a bit too broad for anyone to Google and get some useful information back.

McCrack wrote:

It's 15k kms interval for oil and filter change. Oil change uses less than 5 litres.
    Seems strange that if topping up the oil by a litre every 1000 km is normal, what's the point in the 15k service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I had one dealer on services used to fill it to just above the min mark. So about 2 months in I'd get a low level warning and to bring it to the max I'd have to add 2 litres.

Once I copped this and pulled them on it on the forecourt after a service (charged for 8 litres, put in 6) it didn't happen again and can was put right.

So not all services are the same

It's 15k kms interval for oil and filter change. Oil change uses less than 5 litres.
    Seems strange that if topping up the oil by a litre every 1000 km is normal, what's the point in the 15k service?

To drain any contaminants from the sump and replace the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Because topping up the oil is not the same as a complete oil change and will eventually lead to a build up of sludge in the sump which will block the oil feed pipe and cause the engine to be starved of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Some engines do use oil others don't, my last van with a 2.0 Peugeot hdi engine had 245 k miles on it and never needed a top up between oil changes, we have a 2.2 Honda here with 280 k miles and it has always needed a top up with a litre of oil every 4000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume being told it uses oil to clean the filter meant the dpf although my diesel avensis doesent use any between services.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

1.4 D4D will use a little oil between services DEPENDING on the type of driving you are doing? Motorway / high speed work? High revs? Low speed city driving?

That engine really really really does not like being over-filled with oil so it is possible the dealer was over cautious in this regard when changing oil. Filling to the max when engine is cold will generally bring on a fault code for oil level too high when the engine is hot.

Keep an eye on it but don't be the slightest bit concerned to be adding a litre or so between services.

• Advertisement

sumo12 wrote: »
    1.4 D4D will use a little oil between services DEPENDING on the type of driving you are doing? Motorway / high speed work? High revs? Low speed city driving?

That engine really really really does not like being over-filled with oil so it is possible the dealer was over cautious in this regard when changing oil. Filling to the max when engine is cold will generally bring on a fault code for oil level too high when the engine is hot.

Keep an eye on it but don't be the slightest bit concerned to be adding a litre or so between services.

I think he's adding close to 5 litres between services.

I'm now coming to the conclusion that maybe this particular 1.4 d4d engine may using oil may be normal. My guess is 2-3 litres between services.
    I just think it strange that Toyota would consider up to 15 litres between services normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

I'm now coming to the conclusion that maybe this particular 1.4 d4d engine may using oil may be normal. My guess is 2-3 litres between services.
    I just think it strange that Toyota would consider up to 15 litres between services normal.

I dont think normal is the right word but acceptable is

9935452 wrote: »
    I dont think normal is the right word but acceptable is
    Fair point acceptable is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

On any car I've owned, the manual states a level of acceptable oil consumption similar to Toyota's 1 litre per 1,000 km.

I don't know about the diesels, but Toyota petrol engines tend to have piston rings that don't work so well with high mileage, but that's not usually a problem till it's over 160k km.

Once oil consumption goes over that limit, it's more likely to cause bigger problems, like damage to the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

We had 4 of these cars with the 1ND-TV and never had problems like this (2006, 2008, 2010, 2016).

2006 was doing approx 50km each way
    2008 approx 20km each way
    2010 approx 10km each way
    2016 approx 10km each way

I know I know short drives and all that but I'm not the owner for the 08+ and as always "they know best" :pac:

Also never heard of the issue where filling to max when cold turns on the warning lights. Used to service the 06 myself and always filled to the max cold and it ran perfect until the day it was sold and I'd say it's still going.

I have heard the 1L/1000km rule before though. Might even have seen it in the manual at one point.

Also regardless of short/long/hard drives the 2006 never seemed to drop anything noticeable on the dipstick either.
    Filled with 5w30 fully synthetic each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

tcawley29 wrote: »

Also never heard of the issue where filling to max when cold turns on the warning lights. Used to service the 06 myself and always filled to the max cold and it ran perfect until the day it was sold and I'd say it's still going.

06 does not have DPF. DPF models very sensitive to oil level increases as short journeys will cause oil level to increase due to diesel entering the oil as engine tries to regenerate. Even slightly over max will bring warning lights on. 1ND engine oil level always checked from warm, never from cold.

Latest update on the car. Wife clocked up 1000 kms and brought car back to the garage. They measured the oil and car has used 200 ml per 1000 km. So that's about 3 litres between 15k km service.
    Happened to be passing Navan Toyota yesterday and asked their service department about it and I was told that's normal and well within manufacturers specifications.
    So we just need used to topping it up every month or so. At least we can judge it now knowing how much the car is using.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

3 litres between 15k km service.
    Happened to be passing Navan Toyota yesterday and asked their service department about it and I was told that's normal and well within manufacturers specifications.

"They all do that, sir".

• Advertisement

Latest update on the car. Wife clocked up 1000 kms and brought car back to the garage. They measured the oil and car has used 200 ml per 1000 km. So that's about 3 litres between 15k km service.
    So we just need used to topping it up every month or so. At least we can judge it now knowing how much the car is using.

Yea like Navan Toyota were going to tell you anything different...

Advertisement