Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a ring

Options
  • 08-04-2019 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im interested in repurposeing some gold jewelary that my mam bought in the middle east in the 1970's.

Some of the stuff is beautiful, so I'm keeping as is, but there are one or two things with a lot of religious iconography that I know I'd never wear. They're 24c gold and enough to make a ring or two or maybe something else. She has no issue with me melting them down either, to be clear :)

I don't have stones to repurpose, so was wondering what my best options are to add some diamonds/or something else (would also like emerald or maybe saphire....open to options!)

I've looked online at Bluenile - does anyone have experience with them? I perhaps have a 3 stone design in mind, but would be nervous of picking the 2 stones for either side, in that how would I know that they'd match? Can they facilitate this for me?

Are there other good options to buy stones?

Also, can anyone recommend a jeweler in Dublin to bring it all together?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I know a few people who have gotten engagement/eternity rings made in Patrick Glynn, Middle Abbey St, Dublin 1 and were very happy with the work, and happier again with the valuations they got on the items versus what they paid. I got a ring reset there before, I had the stone and gold and they made a beautiful, quite non-traditional, setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Stonechat Jewellers in the Westbury Mall, Dublin 2 do this (they are expensive but their work is beautiful).

It's worth asking locally because loads of places do this - I got a ring made by a jeweler near me - Waylands Forge Silversmiths in Skerries and was very happy. Another shop in Skerries - Seoidín also do this.

It's worth getting quotes from a number of places - I emailed around just looking for a ballpark figure - and then went with the one I that fitted my budget.

Advertisement