Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chrome taking up 17gb of storage space

• 02-04-2019 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I have a Samsung s7 edge (32gb). I am constantly running out of storage space despite buying an sd card and moving all photos and any apps possible to it. When I check my storage it says chrome is taking up 17gb of space! Does anyone know what is doing this?

I Googled and followed any suggestions to no avail. I deleted all my bookmarks but it didn't make a huge difference. I can't see what is taking up all the space. I have a few passwords saved but nothing that would be so extreme.
    I'm at the point where I don't have any photos etc that I can transfer to the sd card and it's permanently telling me I'm critically low on space. It's slowing the phone up as well.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,040 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    I have a Samsung s7 edge (32gb). I am constantly running out of storage space despite buying an sd card and moving all photos and any apps possible to it. When I check my storage it says chrome is taking up 17gb of space! Does anyone know what is doing this?

I Googled and followed any suggestions to no avail. I deleted all my bookmarks but it didn't make a huge difference. I can't see what is taking up all the space. I have a few passwords saved but nothing that would be so extreme.
    I'm at the point where I don't have any photos etc that I can transfer to the sd card and it's permanently telling me I'm critically low on space. It's slowing the phone up as well.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it

Same here. Major pain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Settings -> Application Manager -> Chrome -> Storage.. see what it says there under manage storage and check the cache size

But that is really a huge amount of size to be taken up, if the above doesnt work try a reinstall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Try going to...
    Apps...
    Settings..
    Chrome..
    Storage...
    Manage space..

I have a one plus 6 and I can sometimes build up 10-12gb or rubbish I need to delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I suspect its something else using the storage, while Chrome is an hungry beast that is not normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

17gb Jesus

Maybe the OP meant 1.7gb ?

Either way, you might want to try clearing data and the cache on that app. This here is the reason I use firefox, has a much smaller footprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,040 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not sure how much space is being used on mine. All I know is I get the constant 'out of storage' messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have you downloaded 16+ gigs of files through chrome? My thinking is this is the only way it would use that amount of space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

Used to have Samsungs and always had that issue. Changed to different manufacturer and no longer an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I'm afraid it really is 17gb, sounds crazy, I know. I did Google it and it seems other people have had similar problems.
    I checked chrome downloads and there's only about 5 very small files.
    When I check storage, apps in total only take up about 3gb but when I click into chrome it says 17gb. I just can't figure out what is taking up so much space. I have space on my sd card but it's no good to me at the moment. There is the option in settings to delete all data but I have some passwords and usernames saved that I might not remember and I don't want to lose all my saved sites etc. I'm sure there must be another way of even finding out what takes up all that space?
    Also, I did try to reinstall but it's a pre-downloaded app so I can only disable it.
    Thanks for your replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,036 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    There is the option in settings to delete all data but I have some passwords and usernames saved that I might not remember and I don't want to lose all my saved sites etc. I'm sure there must be another way of even finding out what takes up all that space?

Are you saving to Samsung or your Google account? If you are saving your settings to Google then a factory reset should be no problem, I've carried passwords and settings across several phones.

My work S7 has 13Gb used for the system data with feck all apps installed. I can't see you can have 17Gb just for Chrome. Are you running factory a ROM?

• Advertisement

As above, Google password manager is great. Just go to https://passwords.google.com and check. The factory reset might work. As a last resort if all your data is saved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Clear the Chrome app cache from Android app settings.
    Then in Chrome itself, settings > privacy > clear browser data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've an app installed called DiskUsage.
    It scans ur phone to see what folders are taking up all the space. Might be worth a quick go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Following this to see what your work aroind is. I have 7GB on a 16GB phone....absolute pain in the apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭DopeTech

gucci wrote: »
    Following this to see what your work aroind is. I have 7GB on a 16GB phone....absolute pain in the apps

What did the diskusage app show? Is it chrome cache?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    What did the diskusage app show? Is it chrome cache?
    Currently can't download the app (despite it being 180kbs in sjze) because my phone is too bloated to fit it in.

The dumb OS keeps asking me to delete almost all the apps that are located on my SD card to make room for the apps....is this something else that's wrong with my phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Currently can't download the app (despite it being 180kbs in sjze) because my phone is too bloated to fit it in.

The dumb OS keeps asking me to delete almost all the apps that are located on my SD card to make room for the apps....is this something else that's wrong with my phone?

Clear your chrome cache.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,036 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't think so. You need a bigger phone, the operating system is too big for phones with that little storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Del2005 wrote: »
    I don't think so. You need a bigger phone, the operating system is too big for phones with that little storage.

Regardless there's a problem with Chrome for him.

Iv a 128gb phone and chrome is only using 550mb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cache from chrome on my phone is 1.5gb. This is like temp internet files. You can delete is as mentioned above by others. You've prob been using the phone for 4 or so years without resetting in.

• Advertisement

Not only that but android changed things that you now have to manually do it. Whereas in the past versions you could go to phone storage and press one button and the whole apps cache would clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Del2005 wrote: »

I've a 16gb phone. I've 2gb free. My Chrome gets big I've recently cleared it. I do regularly. It's about 500gb now.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Regardless there's a problem with Chrome for him.

Iv a 128gb phone and chrome is only using 550mb.

I have cleared the cache, hasn't done anything for the 7Gb number unfortunately.

Ultimately I know that 16Gb is probably too small for a functioning phone nowadays, but if I could tidy up chrome to get the numbers a bit more sensible I could maybe get aanother 6months out of this otherwise very reliable phone.

I will spend a few hours during the week trying the disk usage app and then resort to returning phone to factory settings. Il report back on what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Mines 16gb but I have all media on 32gb SD card. That's half full. Mainly offline music from. Deezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Download the Google Files app and use the Clean tab to free up space. You can check what's in each section before you clear.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.nbu.files

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Chrome seems to be aggressively caching everything. The only cost to blowing away the cache or reinstalling chrome is that on slow connections some pages may be slower.

Delete every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I use Settings-Device Maintenance-Optimise to clear out Google cache every so often.
    Usually frees up 20GB
    Galaxy Tab S2

So this morning, i reset my 16gb phone that was wedged with 15gb+ of some type of Android bloat (Notably 7.97Gb of Chrome stuff that i couldnt clean up because it seemed to have reached a point of no return)

Anyway, i have reset my phone, reinstalled the apps that i had on my original set up and i am now running at 6.96Gb used on my phone. Chrome is now at 24Kbs, so I will keep an eye on it over next while and watch it grow :D:D

Happy to have given my phone a new lease of life, as i said before, it is perfectly adequate in terms of performance for my needs which is reasonably basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

I always wipe the cache partition every couple of weeks to refresh the phone.

Turn it off then hold power and volume up button until Android logo appears > scroll down using volume rockers keys to wipe cache partition > press power/lock button to select it > click reboot device.

Should be a noticeable improvement if it hasn't been done before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I ended up deleting all data under settings for chrome. I was very apprehensive about this as I'd seen varying answers of how much was actually deleted online, but it was now taking up 18gb so I had to do it. I signed out and removed all Google accounts from my phone before deleting the data (not the cache). Any saved websites were gone and it was like starting from scratch but it's not too bad.
    The data went down to around 50mb. In the space of three days it has gone up to 500mb with zero downloads or anything. But at least I have some extra space for the time being.
    Thanks to everyone for their replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

rizzee wrote: »
    I always wipe the cache partition every couple of weeks to refresh the phone.

Turn it off then hold power and volume up button until Android logo appears > scroll down using volume rockers keys to wipe cache partition > press power/lock button to select it > click reboot device.

Should be a noticeable improvement if it hasn't been done before.

Yeah that's a good one for those that have never done it, should be a few gig clawed back.

Another trick that got me 2 gig back was done by accessing the SYSDUMP, you need to dial *#9900# then select the option called DELETE DUMPSTATE/LOGCAT

I know there are only a certain amount of Project Treble phones - I've a Nokia 7 plus with the A/B partition system. It doesn't have a system cache.

Advertisement