Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mayo face a trip north tomorrow evening when they take on Down in Newry at 7 PM.

Following a defeat to Roscommon last month Mayo manager James Horan makes five changes to this starting team.David Clarke,Colm Boyle and Andy Moran are all named to start as are Conor Loftus and Fionn McDonagh who will be making his championship debut.The players to miss out are Rob Hennelly,Michael Plunkett,Matthew Ruane,Fergal Boland and Evan Regan.

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Diarmuid O Connor - Ballintubber(C)
    9. Aidan O Shea - Breaffy
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    12. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. Darren Coen -Hollymount/Carramore
    15. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Cillian on the bench ?

Cillian on the bench ?

Nothing re the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/RefComeOn/status/1142177018320175106

Looks like James Carr is the latest player to fall foul of Horan

km79 wrote: »

Truly bizarre.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Truly bizarre.

No more bizarre than Eoin o Donoghue not getting a sniff
    Horan is just a strange individual

Diskin and Reape also played for their clubs
    But that's not really a suprise

So it does seem that Carr was dropped and not injured for Roscommon game
    Went well............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

mayo news says he was injured so maybe getting some game time to get back his fitness.

No more bizarre than Eoin o Donoghue not getting a sniff
    Horan is just a strange individual

Diskin and Reape also played for their clubs
    But that's not really a suprise

So it does seem that Carr was dropped and not injured for Roscommon game
    Went well............

His lack of game time is the selection I'd have greatest issue with.

Can't get my head around it.

His lack of game time is the selection I'd have greatest issue with.

Can't get my head around it.

The game against Roscommon took the biscuit
    Didn't even use all subs
    Horan is just weird at times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Mayo face a trip north tomorrow evening when they take on Down in Newry at 7 PM.

Following a defeat to Roscommon last month Mayo manager James Horan makes five changes to this starting team.David Clarke,Colm Boyle and Andy Moran are all named to start as are Conor Loftus and Fionn McDonagh who will be making his championship debut.The players to miss out are Rob Hennelly,Michael Plunkett,Matthew Ruane,Fergal Boland and Evan Regan.

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    7. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    8. Diarmuid O Connor - Ballintubber(C)
    9. Aidan O Shea - Breaffy
    10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
    11. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    12. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. Darren Coen -Hollymount/Carramore
    15. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen

No messing around with that team.

No surprise to see Clarke back in, there won't be many complaints about that. Plenty of experience in the backs.

Diarmuid's best position is midfield imo, he's always operates deep. Leaving him there gives us more options in the forwards.

Loftus can count himself lucky that he's in, he must be going well in training. Big game as well for McDonagh, hopefully he lays down a marker. Cillian could start yet. Vaughan another man who might come in at some stage.

Happy enough with that overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So with Carr, Diskin and Reape all back with clubs that is a sizable chunk of the new players from the league gone from championship panel. So much for a building process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The O'Donoghue thing always puzzled me, but I did hear that there was a discipline issue with James Carr, so that may be why he's not featuring.

Cillian may come on at some point. Can't see him starting. I think Andy will start to try and settle the nerves early and cillian introduced later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PressRun wrote: »
    The O'Donoghue thing always puzzled me, but I did hear that there was a discipline issue with James Carr, so that may be why he's not featuring.

Cillian may come on at some point. Can't see him starting. I think Andy will start to try and settle the nerves early and cillian introduced later.

I hope to God Cillian is togged and ready to come in at some stage

For those of us out of the county and not close to the grapevine all this rumor of a rift and the fact that he is again not starting is not good to hear

Seeing him play again would be a relief

Some people here are questioning Horan's though process and wondering what he is up to because of certain players not making the panel etc

I'd hold fire on that a bit
    Sure, for anyone who knows him will know that Horan is more Brian Clough than Kofi Anan, but maybe there is good reason for some players no longer on the panel

Bust if Cillian fails to appear again I'd be beginning to ask serious questions myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Well it seems to be fairly common knowledge that Cillian featured in a recent challenge match. He played 20 minutes apparently. I'd imagine the same can be expected for tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Coc will start instead of Moran surly

Mayo subs as per programme

Robbie Hennelly
    David Drake
    Eoin O D
    Michael Plunkett
    James Mccormack
    Stephen Coen
    Mikey Murray
    Ciaran Treacy
    Fergal Boland
    Evan Regan
    James Durcan

Worrying .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

That bench is notable for who isn't listed.

I hope to God Cillian is togged and ready to come in at some stage

For those of us out of the county and not close to the grapevine all this rumor of a rift and the fact that he is again not starting is not good to hear

Seeing him play again would be a relief

Some people here are questioning Horan's though process and wondering what he is up to because of certain players not making the panel etc

I'd hold fire on that a bit
    Sure, for anyone who knows him will know that Horan is more Brian Clough than Kofi Anan, but maybe there is good reason for some players no longer on the panel

Bust if Cillian fails to appear again I'd be beginning to ask serious questions myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

The secrecy around O’Connor is odd at this stage

Who knows what's going on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Mayo subs as per programme

Robbie Hennelly
    David Drake
    Eoin O D
    Michael Plunkett
    James Mccormack
    Stephen Coen
    Mikey Murray
    Ciaran Treacy
    Fergal Boland
    Evan Regan
    James Durcan

Worrying .......

This is surely by far the rawest bench we've had in a championship game in this era?

Can't see any reliable game changer in that

I really have a bad feeling about this one, it really is a perfect storm as a poster said last week. However we'll probably limp over the line in unspectacular fashion, but it's nigh on impossible to harbour any hopes for the season

jr86 wrote: »
    This is surely by far the rawest bench we've had in a championship game in this era?

Can't see any reliable game changer in that

I really have a bad feeling about this one, it really is a perfect storm as a poster said last week. However we'll probably limp over the line in unspectacular fashion, but it's nigh on impossible to harbour any hopes for the season

It has that kind of feel to it alright. Take the emotions out of it and it's a game we should be winning at least eight times out of ten.

It's imperative that we get a good start, you don't want to be chasing the game and giving Down confidence, especially on a tight pitch away from home. I have a feeling we're gonna struggle for scores though. Hopefully McDonagh and Loftus step up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

100%
    I said this earlier but I won't be surprised that this team could lose.
    The change out needed has been covered over by the league win, which most of it was delivered by the new guys.
    His squad choices are head scratching and the old guard of 2010 are still there today.

Let's see. But I've a real bad feeling.

Any footage to be seen before tomorrow night?

yop wrote: »
    100%
    I said this earlier but I won't be surprised that this team could lose.
    The change out needed has been covered over by the league win, which most of it was delivered by the new guys.
    His squad choices are head scratching and the old guard of 2010 are still there today.

Let's see. But I've a real bad feeling.

I think there was real optimism with the league win, mainly because he seemed to successfully integrate new players and we could still call on some of the older guard from the bench - which was a real asset. Now its just back to business as usual. You've also got the likes of Carr and Diskin not being involved at all, which is strange.

On the flip side maybe he feels the experience is what's needed today. You could also say that McDonagh and Coen are new faces and that Ruane would definitely have started.

But no one can deny that we're very light on backup right now. That's as weak a bench that I can remember for a long time. An injury to the likes of Aidan or Diarmuid would be a hammer blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But no one can deny that we're very light on backup right now. That's as weak a bench that I can remember for a long time. An injury to the likes of Aidan or Diarmuid would be a hammer blow.

Or a red/black card to either (obviously a far-out hypothetical scenario6852_whistling.png)

Or a red/black card to either (obviously a far-out hypothetical scenario6852_whistling.png)

Or a clash of heads, sure that's never happened before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

100%

I miss the days when we used to quibble about Boyle and Andy being taken off prematurely in games

I hate saying it but I would not have faith in one of those subs winning us this game, bar maybe EOD, who is probably there by default and will likely spend the evening warming his seat

To think people criticised our depth before. I recall games where we had Andy, Dillon, Barry Moran, Mickey Conroy, Alan Freeman all as options in reserve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Big Mayo crowd in Newry already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement