Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Explainer: FTTH and You

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Julez

I just changed from Virgin 500mb to Vodafone 500mb for half the price and I'm delighted with it. Had mine installed right next to existing outlet. I might have just got lucky with placement though, but like I say, in terms of internet performance itself I don't notice any difference and speedtests are giving me better results for pings and so on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Still no sign of anything faster than 100mb coming to us in Monasterevin.

Granted my stats are excellent and always get a solid 96 down 19 up, never an issue with the 5 of us in the gaff streaming gaming dloading etc but id like the option of FTTH 150mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

About to move into a new house in Leitrim that has FTTH available via OpenEir

Is there any functional difference between any of the ISPs offering this? I know it is all the same connection resold, but how many of them just resell a white label service and how many have their own infrastructure on the network?

Do any of them engage in throttling? With my last ISP in the UK I used to use about 1TB per month in traffic. Sometimes I would go down as low as 600GB in a month sometimes as high as 1.2TB or so. Which is the best ISP to go with for that sort of traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Having an absolute nightmare dealing with Eir recently on this.

I moved into a home that has a FTTH connection in place, however it has not been indexed by OpenEir so all that any provider can offer me is FTTC.

The FTTC box is not compatible with the FTTH connection so I am left without any broadband whatsoever.

Eir say that OpenEir are looking into it but there is no timeframe for a resolution so it could be months before they get back to me, meantime I am not able to contact OpenEir myself as it is only ISPs who can do that.

Has anyone come across anything like this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Is it definitely Eir FTTH? If you are urban could it be SIRO?

• Advertisement

No it's not SIRO just checked there on their website and it says its not available as yet.

I am thinking of going with a smaller ISP who may be more inclined to chase OpenEir rather than Eir themselves who seem to be worse than useless so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

but how many of them just resell a white label service and how many have their own infrastructure on the network?

I'd love others input on this but roughly:

Eir - Own national and international infra (have part stakes in some international)

Vodafone - Same level as Eir, more involvement in international markets now

Sky - Mostly a rebadge of BT Ireland

Three Business - White label Eir

Lightnet - Galway City and Loughrea POPs (vs say Eir who have 8-10 nationally)

Airwire - Galway City POP

I am thinking of going with a smaller ISP who may be more inclined to chase OpenEir rather than Eir themselves who seem to be worse than useless so far.

Did you get sorted in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spooch

I moved into a new build house myself and I'm having the exact same problem. Initially went through Sky. The house is wired for FTTH, OpenEir even had an engineer come out after a week of back and forth, only to be told the house isn't indexed and he cannot connect me for any Broadband, not even FTTC. Got the response form OpenEir to check back every month but no timeframe for connection. It's boiling my blood.

Interested to hear if you managed to get sorted or who you ended up with?

I ended up hot-spotting from my phone....

I ordered Sky TV and Broadband as apparently it was them who the previous person got their wifi from. Sky came out, saw the FTTH connection, and said we can't do this today as w have you down for FTTC.

3 weeks of back and forth later, "we can only give you FTTC and actually we can't even do that because the engineer says you don't have that connection"

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spooch

That's incredibly similar to what I'm dealing with at the moment, only I can't hotpot very well, the signal is too poor. I'll need to introduce myself to the new neighbours I think and find out what their plans are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Your house doesn't need to be indexed for copper fttc only ftth.

What's happening here is sky put your eircode down and nothing comes back. "Computer said no" situation.

They then can't find anything on the estate no cable paths no cabinets they only know what district the house is in. So they just generate a provision of service order for a telephone line from nearest exchange. Essentially telling the contractor to get this telephone line from this exchange to that house and use his best judgement how that happens and when it gets built it'll have a full recorded path for example it ran through a cabinet 600m from the house and there's VDSL ports in this cabinets.

Thing is this usually doesn't work save for a few cases of a new built house in the countryside.

They're more of a desperate grasp at providing service because usually when an order comes out for a line under these circumstances where they have no records because there aren't any phone lines out there and never will be.

It's not that they're trying to be disingenuous they just can't see the fibre available to order so they try the next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Random question.. but does anyone know where to get a key to open this box? I need to run another cable through it.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dar1986

Hi All,

I'm thinking of changing broadband and tv from Virgin to Sky. My Virgin modem and tv box is connected to the TV point on the wall hidden behind the television with no visible cables. Can anyone advise if Sky can use the same tv point/coax cable or will they have to run new cables for the broadband?

TIA.

New cables for the broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Complete novice question here.

NBI told us we will have FTTH in a few weeks.

I am thinking of switching provider and was talking to Eir on the phone and they said that because NBI are providing the fiber then the only package available is 1Gb, €49.99 two year contract.

Because it's coming from NBI that's all that is available regardless of the reseller.

I had a webchat with Vodafone and they said 500Mb, €35, 1 year contract, or 1Gb, €49.99, 1 year contract, no problem.

Who is telling the truth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBI offer 3 wholesale residential products 500 Mbps, 1 & 2 Gbps, but it looks like eir are only offering the 1 Gbps "gigabit" product via their NBI webpage. They do link from there to to their broadband bundles page which has a 500 Mbps product for €39.99 for 24 months which can only be ordered via web chat.

Can't find any mention of their NBI gigabit product in their pricing documents.

Here is their gigabit fibre promo page - https://www.eir.ie/gigabitfibre/

Standard Gigabit Fibre terms: Subject to availability. Comparison is based on eir's 1Gb FTTH compared to eir's 'up to' 100Mb FTTC. Price depends on the chosen FTTH bundle of Unlimited Fibre 500Mb or Gigabit Fibre 1Gb. €34.99 p/m for 12 months (€75.99 p/m thereafter) is for Unlimited Fibre 500Mb on a 12 month contract. Gigabit Fibre 1Gb is €49.99 p/m for 24 months (€85.99 p/m thereafter) on a 24 Month contract. Gigabit fibre broadband is your own line from the distribution point straight to the home. Unlimited elements subject to fair use. Offer available to new residential customers. Installation/Connection & Activation Fees may apply. Ireland's No.1 Broadband Provider based on market share, for verification, see Quarterly Key Data Report Q3 2021 on www.comreg.ie. For full terms see www.eir.ie/termsandconditions/.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...the only package available is 1Gb, €49.99 two year contract.

Because it's coming from NBI that's all that is available regardless of the reseller.

Completely untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tlaavtech

{Deleted}

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Can anyone tell me what the Eirgrid line looks like coming into the house (which was built in the 1980s) which used to have an eircom phone line. Some work was done in the hall and lines ripped out. I'm now trying to figure out if this is the Eirgrid line so that I can change broadband supplier from Virgin?

This is a photo of the wires that I have located which I think might be. Is it the heavy grey cable or the two single cables (red and black in top of photo).

Lol the top those are old power cables I wouldn't recommend you keep going if your unsure.

The heavy grey could be armoured phone line. I think I can see a white wire inside it but it's hard to see clearly on the grey. But there's enough of it exposed to call someone out to work with it.

White orange green black or white blue white orange. If your seeing red and yellows with others your probably looking at alarm cables or in your case the power from a house wired more than 40 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think the red and black wires were alarm wires. The grey cable has a white wire inside so hopefully that is the Eirgrid cable. I had vodafone out a few years ago, but didn't know about the grey cable then and vodafone could not locate where the cable was on the outside. I tried contacting Eirgrid about it, but they didn't reply.

Thanks for your help babi.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hada87

Hi all

FTTH has been made available and our current contract with Virgin is now up for renewal and will be jumping up in price to €50 or so. Obviously I'm looking at FTTH options with Pure etc which are cheaper and faster.

A key question I have (which the sales guy at Pure was unable to answer!) was whether the installer needs access to where our current router is plugged into the wall. The reason I ask is that we had shelving installed over the phone line access point on the wall, leaving only access to Virgin's router...

Grateful for any input!

With a new FTTH install you and the installer will discuss on the day where and how the new fibre line enters the house.

Normally the ONT is mounted within 1m from the house entry point, adjacent to a power socket. The router is then connected to the ONT.

Thanks. So for the purposes of the new entry point and installation of the ONT, the installer shouldn't need access / to use the broadband entry point we use for our current Virgin set up?

Virgin's cable infrastructure is separate to the open-eir or SIRO networks.

Is there underground ducting in place to run the new fibre line from the street to the house?

Thanks. I don't know re the ducting. Would this impact on installation?

It seems both Eir, Pure and Sky FTTH are available in my area.

Depends on where the network drop point is located, the connection point from where fibre is run to your house. It could be in a manhole on the footpath/street, on a pole or maybe on a wall of a terrace.

If the fibre is underground a duct will be required, maybe you have one for a old copper telephone line that can be reused.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cream2000

I got Vodafone FTTH installed recently. Looks like the ONT and ODP are separate. This seems very silly to me as they have to be connected with a fibre patch cable. Surely this is not the proper way to do it these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Fiber seems to have been pulled through the ducting and up a pole outside my house . A box has now been attached to the top of the pole. Photo attaching .

Does this indicate that it might should be soon available or could it sit like that for months or years .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

provisioning may be a month, or a few months. its not set it stone

Advertisement