Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you had to rob a bank...

• 25-04-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

With all these ATMs getting ripped out of walls, it got me thinking..

If you were tasked with robbing a bank and holding up a staff member for at least an hour with a handgun until the safe opened, BUT you were guaranteed to get a million at the end of it and never to get caught, what would you find hardest about doing it? Kind of like The Purge but with a specific scenario!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you were tasked with robbing a bank and holding up a staff member for at least an hour with a handgun until the safe opened, BUT you were guaranteed to get a million at the end of it and never to get caught, what would you find hardest about doing it? Kind of like The Purge but with a specific scenario!

I would feel terrible it wasn't more....

A mill wouldn't buy enough hookers and coke....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

As long as I get to indulge my insatiable bloodlust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

Just give me a bank and I'll rob a few billion and share it with everyone on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

I'd probably get a cramp in my finger and end up poping a cap in the staff member by accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yep, I'd down for that.

• Advertisement

Hardest part would be when you go to make your first purchase, a lovely new sporty motor. And when you're driving out of the showroom Revenue stop you and say 'where'd you get the cash, you thievin' cnut!?' and you spend the rest of your life in a prison cell with Father Purcell.

(or at least, knowing my luck, that's pretty much how it'd go).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

A good number of years ago they brought in time lock safes and other features that made traditional bank robberies obsolete.

Tiger kidnapping became the viable replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hardest part would be spending without arousing suspicion, the rest seems possible.

Watched a tv series on Netflix recently, a group of people intentionally cause a hostage situation at a Spanish national mint (they literally printed their own money)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

what would you find hardest about doing it?!

Terrorising an innocent worker would hardest, someone decent contributing to society probably with a family.

But if it were Ulster Bank and the CEO that decided to start introducing 20+ cent transaction charges etc on the customers who actually stayed with the bank after its utterly incompetent I.T. meltdown years ago I'd have no problem. Will enjoy closing my accounts with them soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Best way to rob a bank is to own one.
    Ask any of our glorious banksters from the Celtic Tiger era.
    They not only robbed the banks but also robbed the country blind.
    Did a single one of them ever spend a day in prison.??

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »

This. x 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

If its all guaranteed the hardest part would be either telling someone to stfu, or pulling the taser trigger to help them understand fully.

maybe there'd be some bodily excretions to deal with too.

i'd have to bring some febreeze.

Hardest part would be finding an employee who's an arsehole and deserves it more than the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Shooting dead one person to show the rest of them you mean business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

You would never get away with it nowadays. A surprising number of u.s. cops have been involved in bank robberies. If I had to rob one it would be a Bank of Ireland branch, due to a personal dislike of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bill black, 'the best way to rob a bank, is to own one'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

washman3 wrote: »

Answer to your question, YES ! A number of the execs went to prison.

Did enough of them go to prison ? Not in my opinion.
    Did they get long enough ? Not in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

you wouldn't download an atm!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Answer to your question, YES ! A number of the execs went to prison.

Did enough of them go to prison ? Not in my opinion.
    Did they get long enough ? Not in my opinion.

barely a token jesture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The "Shadow " strikes again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

The fear of someone recognising me. The embarrassment would cause cardiac arrest- more embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Where I used to live in maybe the early 90's local bank was robbed. Went in through a skylight pretending to be builders (In the night time but it was a simpler time and. Seemingly the dogs in the street knew who did it and the house was watched for years but as far as i'm aware they never bought so much as a lotto extra. Would make you wonder why they did it in the first place or maybe they have moved on since. Been a good few years since I was out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

Would have to be a bank in a rural village, the kind where there would be no guards within 10 miles. But I'd probably make the mistake of robbing it on the day there's no cash withdrawals....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

rob the bank by wearing masks of ex-taoiseagh ...ala Point Break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,194 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd bring a bunch of clowns to draw the attention away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Best thing would be to enjoy the money knowing you got away with it..
    Hardest being i wouldnt want to hurt anyone in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

fryup wrote: »
    rob the bank by wearing masks of ex-taoiseagh ...ala Point Break

This. A Charles Haughey mask then go surfing afterwards or maybe just a night beach session with the other ex Taoiseagh and an undercover Garda or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If you were tasked with robbing a bank and holding up a staff member for at least an hour with a handgun until the safe opened, BUT you were guaranteed to get a million at the end of it and never to get caught, what would you find hardest about doing it?

Once I can conceal the handgun, I don't wanna stick it in someones mouth for an hour (oooh Matron!) and keep myself level/calm....I don't think I would find it hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Id probably rob a seed bank but more than likely it'll be a more severe job...

All those jaundice looking vegan social justice warriors with pitch forks could be intimidating.

Id have to grab a hoe to fight them off, then more than likely the bastards will have all the seeds labeled in Latin and that'll mean I'll need a hostage for an interpreter.

I could have a spray gun armed with Monsantos most potent chemical, but really red lemonade.

Ill end up in the Hague for chemical warfare...

Actually I couldn't do it, too much hassle, because ill end up having to surf aileens and handcuffed to a guard from Ennistymon....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

what would you find hardest about doing it? Kind of like The Purge but with a specific scenario!

spending all my new money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

omega man wrote: »
    This. A Charles Haughey mask then go surfing afterwards or maybe just a night beach session with the other ex Taoiseagh and an undercover Garda or two...

Just be careful not to leave an undercover garda into your gang.

Advertisement