Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best car for someone who has just passed their test

• 25-04-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

My daughter is 18 and has just passed her test. I was planning to give her my 152 Hyndai IX35 - the insurance on it would not be too bad - 1700. I was then hoping to buy a 2 year old Renault Captur for myself, which I could give to my son in 3 years time. Is this a good idea, or should they start on a smaller car. I always prefer a bigger car in terms of safety in crash.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The smaller car idea for a first car is a stupid one, it just creates an element of fear with bigger cars. If they haven't driven it before, help them get used to its size and very quickly that should become second nature to them. Theres always a need to adapt slightly when going to different cars. I feel getting used to bigger ones earlier, makes it easier for someone to adjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Hannaho wrote: »
    My daughter is 18 and has just passed her test. I was planning to give her my 152 Hyndai IX35 - the insurance on it would not be too bad - 1700. I was then hoping to buy a 2 year old Renault Captur for myself, which I could give to my son in 3 years time. Is this a good idea, or should they start on a smaller car. I always prefer a bigger car in terms of safety in crash.

Maybe I am oldfashioned and not thinking ahead but I think that you should choose a car that suits YOU and not what may suit your son IF he starts to drive in 3 years time.

Of course dont go out and buy a 5 series BMW with the thoughts of handing on to him but your first priority should be what YOU like and what suits your commute and lifestyle and committments at the moment.

The reason i say this is that not all of the younger generation have an inerest in driving. Is is our 3rd and youngest that has shown the only interest in driving and he now uses my wife's car when he can.

Our lad that drives is 18 and he uses my wife's car, I dont see us being in a poosition to giving him a car, perhaps when he stats working he will get one but at that stage its just as likely that he will buy one himself unless we are getting ready to change one of the cars. But their possible future use would be well down our criteria when choosing a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hannaho wrote: »
    Would or could she drive it? If the answer is yes then problem solved, if not then maybe liquidate it for what she'd like. Shouldn't you just put her down as named driver instead of coughing up so much in insurance?

The smaller car idea for a first car is a stupid one, it just creates an element of fear with bigger cars. If they haven't driven it before, help them get used to its size and very quickly that should become second nature to them. Theres always a need to adapt slightly when going to different cars. I feel getting used to bigger ones earlier, makes it easier for someone to adjust.
    Some people prefer smaller cars or just don't see a need for a larger one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

is_that_so wrote: »

But in this instance the OP is buying a car for themselves, which they intend on giving to their son later on.

OP, I would get the car you want or need and then leave it to your son later whenever they pass.

It might make a lot more financial sense to trade in the 152 IX35 against your new car and buy them something else. You could buy them something a bit older and cheaper, and even get something they prefer. Either way you are being very generous!

As for bigger cars being safer, I don't buy it. It's an old way of thinking that just doesn't necessarily remain true. Modern cars are extremely safe across the board. You can even research the safety of the cars you're interested in on the NCAP site. For example, both the i30 and IX35 get 5 star ratings, with the same very high marks for driver safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Something similar about a 17 years old asking for advice about getting himself his first car came up on a different board, with the predictable same banter - and the people going "the first small car idea is stupid!".

It is not - for a number of extremely simple reasons. Someone who's young and just got their license will put whatever they drive trough the brunt of their youthfulness and learning process: they will make mistakes, they will cause scrapes, they will be parking the car in questionable spots at questionable times and just about everything else you can imagine.

So long story short - the first car should be something handy, cheap to fix and maintain, and that you possibly don't care about too much. For an 18 years old to put a ding in a brand new and/or expensive car, it can be quite a big hit to their morale/confidence (unless they're absolutely spoiled brats).

As for the whole premises of this thread, does your 18 y.o. daughter actually NEED the use of her own car straight away? I mean, there are perfectly sound reasons why that might be the case (e.g. finishing school and getting a job, going to College in a place not well connected by public transport etc.), but otherwise...she could simply borrow yours occasionally at the beginning? Adding a car to the household IS a big expense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's not a question of preference or need in the OP. The issue regularly whenever I'm talking with someone is a phobia is created on the size of the car or the size of the engine. Becuase people are often told get a smaller car to gain experience. That advice itself impedes experience, becuase it tells people they should not expect to be able to handle something bigger.

It's not a question of preference or need in the OP. The issue regularly whenever I'm talking with someone is a phobia is created on the size of the car or the size of the engine. Becuase people are often told get a smaller car to gain experience. That advice itself impedes experience, becuase it tells people they should not expect to be able to handle something bigger.

I think we form opinions about what we want to drive quite quickly and without much of this fussing and fretting over car size. Many a small car I wouldn't go near but a whole lot of much bigger ones I wouldn't be bothered with either.

I think we form opinions about what we want to drive quite quickly and without much of this fussing and fretting over car size. Many a small car I wouldn't go near but a whole lot of much bigger ones I wouldn't be bothered with either.

The OP wants a bigger car and their only inclination towards a small one is bad advice typically given to new drivers that they must earn their stripes with smaller cars. As I said, this thread isn't about the need or preference towards a smaller one at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't see any particular problem in giving them large cars. This day and age there are reverse cameras etc to help.
    If the kids learned to drive in these cars with you then even better.

I myself learned in one of these monsters! (not me in pic)

adam-savage-volvo-245.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

2nd that comment ...
    I drove a seicento for about 10 years .. passed my test in it etc .. when i moved up too a mondeo hated it for ages due to attention required to park etc .
    Bigger car is better idea .. if not the huyundai maybe a prius .. will help with lower taxes and insurance .. only negative about the prius is there is a spate of thefts on catylitic convertors at the moment from them .. otherwise shouldnt in theory depreciate much either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How does it impede experience? do you mean parking the car because it is easier to park a smaller car?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How does it impede experience? do you mean parking the car because it is easier to park a smaller car?

Becuase people genuinely think they arent good enough for it.

Advertisement