Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in (partially) newly built estate.

Options
  • 21-03-2019 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello everyone,

Can anyone advise on getting broadband to a house that has been built very recently on an existing estate?

I have a lot of issues ordering broadband, have a lot of contradictory information received.

So basically the scenario:

There's a number of houses that have been finished some time last year, they have Eircodes and all, seem to be able to check the connection availability to these premises on multiple broadband providers. This seems to be fiber to the cabinet, maximum 50 MB, realistic 20 MB after speaking to the neighbours.

So I can't seem to order Fiber to the House, as OpenEir said, there are no plans on doing FTTH in FTTC areas.

Another provider said, I can't get legacy broadband, since they don't do copper to to new houses anymore. Has anyone have heard about these new practices of not supplying copper anymore?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭wassie

What do you mean by legacy broadband?

Sounds like if you have FTTC then its going to be a VDSL service. Have you checked OpenEirs broadband map to confirm if there is a cabinet nearby?
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 masterofp

Yes, I have, there is a Fiber cabinet close by, I'm on the green are on the map, but the "legacy" (copper to the house, with phone line) option seems no longer available to me.

OK - So I think you are referring to a ADSL service with phone line.

I cant confirm what occurs on new estates, however Im fairly certain that there is no longer a copper line from the house direct to the telephone exchange any more, only one that provides a shorter run to the fibre cabinet which is perhaps what is being referred to.

I would dare say your only choice is FTTC/VDSL with any phone service being provided via VOIP. Apologies if Im only stating the obvious.
    Good luck with it all.

Also you might get more answers over in the mapping thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919149&page=243

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Copper will still be installed, if you're in an estate that traditionally has copper. That's not the issue.

But getting your house listed in their database can be the bigger issue.

/M

• Advertisement

So, finally, I got landline installed. ~650m from Fibre Cabinet.

How surprised I was, when I called Eir to check the broadband speed I can get. Website said 17, sales said 8. Next door neighbour gets up to 50, closer the distance to the beautifully connected bunch of wires in the ground (picture attached) the higher the speed, as the main distance to the exchange. Now I need to probably add 30-50 meters to that, but did not expect that bad speed...

Either I got 20 joints on the way back to the cabinet, or I have been connected to one that has not been FFTC enabled...

Ech, have to stick with crappy 4G...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

masterofp wrote: »
    So, finally, I got landline installed. ~650m from Fibre Cabinet.

How surprised I was, when I called Eir to check the broadband speed I can get. Website said 17, sales said 8. Next door neighbour gets up to 50, closer the distance to the beautifully connected bunch of wires in the ground (picture attached) the higher the speed, as the main distance to the exchange. Now I need to probably add 30-50 meters to that, but did not expect that bad speed...

Either I got 20 joints on the way back to the cabinet, or I have been connected to one that has not been FFTC enabled...

Ech, have to stick with crappy 4G...

When?

If you only just got the line in you may need to await the monthly test to get real prequal data. If you feel like it you can PM me your number and I'll grab the current data.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only tested for ADSL yet:

"eircode":null,"county":null,"date":null,"error":null,"fullAddress":null,"townEnabled":false, "maxDSL":null,"maxHSI":null,"maxFTCHSI":null,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNRA":null,"maxFTCNRA":null,"maxDSLServiceCode":null, "maxHSIServiceCode":null,"maxFTCHSIServiceCode":null,"maxNGBServiceCode":"BMB24MB","maxNRAServiceCode":null,"maxFTCNRAServiceCode":null,"phase":"No Fibre"

Its possible you bypassed the cabinet with the new pair but far more likely the MTAU in the cab just hasn't tested your brand new path yet. Call Eir, get through to their tech dept and ask them to ask wholesale to push on a new test rather than wait up to 20 odd days for it to happen itself.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Hi,

if you PM me the phone number, I can check what NGA cabinet you are connected to and what could be possible VDSL distance wise.

Hi,

if you PM me the phone number, I can check what NGA cabinet you are connected to and what could be possible VDSL distance wise.

Hi Martin, I've spoken with your colleague over the phone today. He's got my details.

Edit: Wrote it on phone initially with some mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

Hi,

Hi Martin,

any chance you'd respond to my PMs or advise on who I should contact?

Thanks

Advertisement