Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU / MB Upgrade required

Options
  • 23-04-2019 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? 600(ish)
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (Nothing overly demanding in general, but would like room to move into more demanding titles)
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Maybe. I think I have an installation USB key.
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    • 1TB Barracuda
    • 128GB SanDisk SSD
    • Fractal Design R4 Case
    • Corsair CX750M
    • GTX 760
    5. Do you need a monitor? No
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1080p 32" Samsung TV. Possible upgrade in future but not thinking of it at the moment.
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Never been against it
    8. How can you pay? All of the above
    9. When are you purchasing? No rush. Can buy everything together or seperately.

I've been looking at the below
    Intel Core i5. Need a new cooling fan too. Just not sure which to go for. One of the Tower designs or 'Flat'. Case allows for up to 170mm tall.

Maybe Asus ROG Strix
    Maybe MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK

Will need some new RAM too, old RAM is DDR3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

1. What is your budget? 600(ish)
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (Nothing overly demanding in general, but would like room to move into more demanding titles)
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Maybe. I think I have an installation USB key.
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    • 1TB Barracuda
    • 128GB SanDisk SSD
    • Fractal Design R4 Case
    • Corsair CX750M
    • GTX 760
    5. Do you need a monitor? No
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1080p 32" Samsung TV. Possible upgrade in future but not thinking of it at the moment.
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Never been against it
    8. How can you pay? All of the above
    9. When are you purchasing? No rush. Can buy everything together or seperately.

I've been looking at the below
    Intel Core i5. Need a new cooling fan too. Just not sure which to go for. One of the Tower designs or 'Flat'. Case allows for up to 170mm tall.

Maybe Asus ROG Strix
    Maybe MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK

Will need some new RAM too, old RAM is DDR3.

Unless you need it right now, I'd consider waiting until July to see what Ryzen 3000 brings to the table. If you can't wait a Ryzen 2600 or 2600X will give you considerable savings over the i5 and a better upgrade path.

As for ram this'll do nicely no matter which you choose https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GCWQBQQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah there isn't much sense pairing a new high-end CPU with an ancient GTX760 either. I would say if your budget is €600, get yourself a Ryzen 2600X, B450M, 16GB DDR4 and a GTX1660.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Thanks lads. July would be too far a wait tbh, so the 2600x will do nicely. Machine's been out of action for about 3 months now so would need to get the parts soon. In relation to the Graphics Card, it would have been getting an upgrade anyway, just a month later.

Where's the best place to actually purchase them? Last time I bought it was hardwareversand.de, but they're gone. Was looking on Mindfactory.de but they don't seem to ship outside of Germany for private consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sugarman wrote: »
    Amazon UK/Germany/France/Spain, Overclockers & Scan are my go to's

Been hearing bad things about Scan's customer service recently so I'd go with CCL or Caseking.

Also like Jakob.de as they seem to have good prices.

Would also avoid Scan, OCUK or Amazon would get my vote. Mind Factory do ship here but it's about €30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Been hearing bad things about Scan's customer service recently so I'd go with CCL or Caseking.

Also like Jakob.de as they seem to have good prices.
    Would also avoid Scan, OCUK or Amazon would get my vote. Mind Factory do ship here but it's about €30.

Had to RMA a PSU from Scan last month, requested online on Monday, picked up on Wednesday, had the (fully working) replacement by the following Wednesday. No trouble for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Thanks again folks. Here's what I'm going for:

Ryzen 5 2600x
    Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
    Gigabyte GTX 1660
    Ripjaws V-Series

I've never been fond of mATX boards, from an aesthetics point of view (I know I know :o), but it's only 30 quid more than the cheapest micro so....

Seems solid. Maybe just keep in the mind the savings on the board could mean the difference between a GTX1660 and GTX1660Ti. The motherboard won't have any bearing on your gaming performance really, but the GPU will!

Also very little between the 2600 and 2600X if you're not overclocking. No need to really on a normal 60hz setup. So another way to shave off a few euro and put it into a better GPU if needed.

Advertisement