Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thread titles being changed

• 21-04-2019 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

Hi, could someone please advise how I can lodge a complaint about a mod changing thread titles? Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,511 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Your complaint belongs in Help Desk, and has been moved here.

Have you discussed this with the relevant mod(s)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Beasty wrote: »
    Your complaint belongs in Help Desk, and has been moved here.

Have you discussed this with the relevant mod(s)?

No. I do not see the point in raising the questionable behaviour with the alleged perpetrator, as I do not expect a reasonable response. I would like to elevate this complaint to a level where an independent arbitrator can adjudicate and would appreciate guidance on how to do this. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Well, this is a public forum, so the moderator in question has the right of reply if needs be.

So, what seems to be the problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dante7 wrote: »
    Hi, could someone please advise how I can lodge a complaint about a mod changing thread titles? Thanks.
    No. I do not see the point in raising the questionable behaviour with the alleged perpetrator, as I do not expect a reasonable response. I would like to elevate this complaint to a level where an independent arbitrator can adjudicate and would appreciate guidance on how to do this. Thanks.
    Hi Dante7,
    If you feel that an exchange of PMs with the mod would not resolve the title change issue, perhaps you would consider PMing the Cmod over the forum in question? We work with members and mods all the time on such issues.

Have a nice week,
    Black Swan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

An independent arbitrator for adjudication is asking a bit much really. For a start - there are no hard & fast rules regarding thread title changes. Also, we expect our members & mods to be capable of having a civil discussion when it comes to issues such as this.

With my admin hat off, I would have to say that changiing the title of a thread I created without good reason would annoy me too. It could significantly alter the tone of the thread & those who engage with it. But that is a personal opinion only.

You'd really be best having a civil PM discussion with the mod. If your issue is dismissed without any opportunity to discuss, I would then PM a CMod as suggested by Black Swan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What was the thread title and what was it changed to?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

"John Boyne forced to leave twitter" changed to "Author John Boyne receives abuse from strangers on Twitter".

"John Boyne forced to leave twitter" changed to "Author John Boyne receives abuse from strangers on Twitter".

If anything your title is better! Pointless change imo. I've seen one or two other people complain about this recently too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Seems like a reasonable change to me. Twitter are the only ones who can force him to leave.
    He wasn't "forced" to leave. He chose to after receiving abuse on twitter.

I received unwarranted abuse in a pub once and chose to leave. The publican or no one else forced me to.

I have just PM'd the mod in question requesting the change be reverted. It should be noted that I did previously respond in-thread querying the change and received no reply.

Regardless of whether or not my particular thread title gets reinstated, I believe that this is a serious issue and in need of review. A mod should not be allowed to change a thread title unless said title is in breach of Board's guidelines.

I can't believe I am having to make this point. A moderator is surely meant to moderate, not impose their ideology on a public discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I dont see the issue with changing a thread title to one that actually reflects the story the OP is concerned with. The original title was misleading tabloid nonsense. the title the mod used wasn't.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I have just PM'd the mod in question requesting the change be reverted. It should be noted that I did previously respond in-thread querying the change and received no reply.

Regardless of whether or not my particular thread title gets reinstated, I believe that this is a serious issue and in need of review. A mod should not be allowed to change a thread title unless said title is in breach of Board's guidelines.

I can't believe I am having to make this point. A moderator is surely meant to moderate, not impose their ideology on a public discussion.

It is often necessary for a mod to change a title, especially if it gives too little or incorrect information about it's following post.

I sometimes need to change a title from "Help" to "Help, problem with gas heating". I expect that in such (and similar) an instance you would agree that a change is necessary.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We do moderate. And inaccurate, misleading titles will be moderated just like anything else. I didn't do this particular one, but I do agree with it.

Post better titles next time is my advice. Nothing about ideology (is this where I get screamed at by multiple posters for being far-left and far-right at the same time? :D)

I messaged the mod who changed the title he rejected my request to change the thread title back. Can I know appeal this to a cmod please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you outline why you believe the original title should stand? It will help understand why you feel the change was not appropriate.

dudara wrote: »
    Can you outline why you believe the original title should stand? It will help understand why you feel the change was not appropriate.

Sure. I will have to paraphrase as I have been banned and can't access the exact language.

I created a thread with the title "John Boyne has been forced to leave Twitter". A mod then changed the title to "John Boyne has received abuse from strangers." The mod posted his change as an in-thread comment, by way of just showing the program language he used to effect the title change, but with absolutely no explanation as to why they did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that you don’t understand the logic behind the change? That it wasn’t explained well enough?

I believe the thread title should have been left intact because John Boyne himself stated he felt he was forced off Twitter. Several other authors and journalists also stated that they believed he was forced off Twitter. There have been articles written in mainstream journalistic publications that have stated the same. Those published pieces espousing the same opinion have been approved by professional sub-editors and commissioning editors and have been published. But for some reason, a thread I created here was edited.

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that you don’t understand the logic behind the change? That it wasn’t explained well enough?

There was no explanation of the change. The mod who changed the title simply posted a screenshot in-thread of the programming language they used to change the thread title. No logic or explanation.

On further querying via PM, I was told that it was clickbait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

There was no explanation of the change. The mod who changed the title simply posted a screenshot in-thread of the programming language they used to change the thread title. No logic or explanation.

On further querying via PM, I was told that it was clickbait.

Happened to find this thread in passing and had a look. The programming language the mod used was a "joke" which basically depicted that your thread title contained "falsehoods" (lies) and he has now fixed it. There was no programming involved - just a strange way to frame a 'joke' by a mod.

• Advertisement

Imo the mods should leave titles alone unless they are clearly misleading or contain expletives etc. If mods are going to turn into grammar police then I think it'll annoy the hell out of people. At the end of the day who was the original title offending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Imo the mods should leave titles alone unless they are clearly misleading
    It was.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,511 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

May I just remind everyone of this, taken from the AH Charter
    What is After Hours?
    After hours is the place to come on boards where general discussion can be light-hearted. The aim here is to have a bit of a laugh and not to piss anybody off while doing so.

This forum has been variously described as a refuge for idiots, the dregs of boards.ie, the best forum on boards and the only forum on boards. As such you may find After Hours quite different to any other boards.ie forums. What's OK here may not fly elsewhere on boards.

If you want to discuss what you consider a serious topic, please do not be offended if someone in AH considers it a topic to poke fun at, or which should be addressed in a "straight" manner

Of course some threads in AH are serious, but again that becomes quite clear. So for example a terrorist incident in Sri Lanka is not something to poke fun at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I am the mod in question. I changed the thread title because the original was simply false.
    I wasn't following that thread so didn't see any question posted in-thread. Your OP was reported for having a clickbaity title. I reviewed the thread, reviewed the article and came to the conclusion that the title you used was misleading, so I changed it.
    Ideology has got nothing to do with this.
    I believe the thread title should have been left intact because John Boyne himself stated he felt he was forced off Twitter. Several other authors and journalists also stated that they believed he was forced off Twitter. There have been articles written in mainstream journalistic publications that have stated the same. Those published pieces espousing the same opinion have been approved by professional sub-editors and commissioning editors and have been published. But for some reason, a thread I created here was edited.
    Because somebody feels they were forced to do something does not mean they were actually forced to do something. I was just dealing with facts here.
    Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Imo the mods should leave titles alone unless they are clearly misleading or contain expletives etc. If mods are going to turn into grammar police then I think it'll annoy the hell out of people. At the end of the day who was the original title offending?
    It wasn't a grammatical error. It was misleading. Have you read the thread or the article contained therein?

This is a storm in a teacup.

I am the mod in question. I changed the thread title because the original was simply false.

I wasn't following that thread so didn't see any question posted in-thread. Your OP was reported for having a clickbaity title. I reviewed the thread, reviewed the article and came to the conclusion that the title you used was misleading, so I changed it.

Ideology has got nothing to do with this.

Because somebody feels they were forced to do something does not mean they were actually forced to do something. I was just dealing with facts here.

It wasn't a grammatical error. It was misleading. Have you read the thread or the article contained therein?

This is a storm in a teacup.

Yeah, whatever. It's not the first time you have changed a thread title, but you will be unlikely to do it again now that you have been called out on it.
    Btw, can I please have a cmod adjudicate on my original complaint about my thread title being changed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I messaged the mod who changed the title he rejected my request to change the thread title back. Can I know appeal this to a cmod please.
    Hi Dante7,
    The Cmods for AH are LEIN and Pawwed Rig. You may wish to PM one or both, and provide them a link to this Help Desk thread?

Black Swan

Black Swan wrote: »
    Hi Dante7,
    The Cmods for AH are LEIN and Pawwed Rig. You may wish to PM one or both, and provide them a link to this Help Desk thread?

Black Swan

Thanks, I will do that.

But as an aside, and a response to the mod who changed the title, I would like to ask - if I created a thread with the title, "A transgender person was forced off Twitter due to transphobic comments", would that thread title be changed? Would it f*ck.

I have just tried to follow your advice to PM the relevant cmods, and am unable to do so. Could you please advise how I can PM cmods from my phone. Thanks.

I have just tried to follow your advice to PM the relevant cmods, and am unable to do so. Could you please advise how I can PM cmods from my phone. Thanks.
    I never access boards with a mobile phone, so I am the wrong one to ask. Perhaps someone else reading this thread can help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

https://touch.boards.ie/message/create/153905

That link will bring you to a message box to send a private message to LEIN

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement