Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPTV - blocked

• 17-04-2019 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I recently switched internet provider as i moved to a rural location. My internet has now blocked my IPTV service on my smart tv, it’s a Samsung tv so no play store to download a VPN.
    Any suggestions on how to by pass setting on router to allow IPTV to play?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

One thing that you should try is to change the DNS Server entry to use Google's instead. Specific instructions on how to do this will vary by router type.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

buy an android box

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Nowso wrote: »
    buy an android box

I have an android box but prior to buying it my sub for IPTV is on the smart Tv and I’d rather keep it separate to the box if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

One thing that you should try is to change the DNS Server entry to use Google's instead. Specific instructions on how to do this will vary by router type.

How would I go about doing that???

rookie1470 wrote: »
    I have an android box but prior to buying it my sub for IPTV is on the smart Tv and I’d rather keep it separate to the box if possible.

smart tv is not a good iptv app switch it back over to your box there a better apps available stb emu . iptv smarters etc

vpn can be added if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'd say your issue is more ipv6 related than your ITV being blocked at a guess. I dont think any Irish providers actively block iptv over the wire. Perhaps rural wireless ones do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First of all, you gave us zero information on who your IPTV provider is. That would be important enough.

IPv6 has nothing to do with this .. (somebody suggested it. It's wrong)

You also did not tell us, who your internet provider was before and who you are with now. Again. Important information.

How do you expect anyone to help on a whole lot of guesswork?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pluto_322

To verify if blocked by ISP, try your IPTV line on your VLC player first :

VLC Player - Media - Open Network Stream ..... insert M3U line where it says 'please enter a network URL' ....see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beartricity

Is Digiweb blocking IPTV?

Is Digiweb blocking IPTV?

disable any safe surfing type options via your modem or account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Firstly you shouldn't be running iptv without a vpn. You're just leaving yourself open to trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cookie1977 wrote:
    Firstly you shouldn't be running iptv without a vpn. You're just leaving yourself open to trouble.

I know plenty of people that have been doing so for a long time now, without any problems, but I'd imagine some of the smaller isp's are more aware of this problem due to bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

cookie1977 wrote: »

Care to elaborate on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beartricity

What one do u recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

IPTV comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Blanket statements around it, of any nature, will often cause confusion. Wrote a "like I'm five" for a relative asking about it recently, so thought I'd drop an edited version in here in case it helps anyone.

IPTV includes all sorts of free services (e.g. RTÉ Player) and paid services (e.g. Netflix).

Sometimes those services offer content globally (e.g. RTÉ show The Late Late Show globally as they have the international distribution rights for it) and sometimes it's only locally (e.g. RTÉ have a deal with Sky for international distribution of GAA coverage via GAA Go, so GAA matches aren't available internationally via RTÉ Player only here in Ireland). Sometimes the service is entirely locked by location (e.g. BBC iPlayer) and in some cases the offerings differ based on location (e.g. Netflix) based both on the library of content and the cost of the service.

In lots of those cases people have been known to use VPNs or Smart DNS (streaming services tend to identify most larger VPNs and block their IP ranges pretty quickly, so DNS services tend to be a better solution there) to workaround restrictions to alter pricing or to access additional content. In some cases that's irrelevant to the provider, some it's breaching terms and conditions with potential to be blocked or banned and in some it will be outright illegal. You'd need to look at the rules around a specific service to know for sure, and even then in many cases the rules haven't actually been tested yet in courts.

Often when people say "IPTV" they're speaking of IPTV Subscription services. Paid services which package together content from multiple providers of streamed content. These can vary from entirely legal repackaging of non copyright infringing material to full blown access to everything under the sun, copyright be damned. Needless to say if you're dealing with the latter, having a VPN might be a little more than advisable (anyone interested in that end of things can check out Dish's legal cases against IPTV providers, resellers and subscribers in recent years. They're the ones setting most of the precedents there. A clear example of why VPNs, and more anonymous payments via crypto currency rather than PayPal, are strongly advised by many in that field).

IPTV isn't a single thing. In many cases it's perfectly legal and above board, why we can speak about it here on boards, and in some cases it's copyright infringing and illegal (you can't talk of that side of things here. You'd need to find a different forum if you intended to reddit up on that stuff).

In all of these cases, and just generally, having a VPN is great for improved privacy, anonymity and security (coming from someone with a marketing background that frequently uses the type of data collected). It provides a layer of anonymity between you and the sites you access (especially important if you frequently use public wifi) and it helps prevent your ISP controlling content you view (from throttling speeds on specific services to ad injection).

A VPN isn't required for all IPTV usage, in many cases it would simply introduce lag and reduced speeds to your network, but there's plenty of upside to using one and in some cases it would be foolish not to.

As for which VPN?
    Hard to advise without knowing specific needs. Number of connections/devices, specific use cases (where location of servers becomes a big factor) and the likes all play a part. Changing the server you connect through can make dramatic differences to the speed and performance you experience, so be ready for lots of trial and error speed testing with any new setup.

If you keep an eye on Bargain Alerts here on Boards or search for VPN on HUKD you'd be able to see a few of the deals available and discussion around them.

Advertisement