Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Seniors Aug 2020

Options
  • 19-08-2020 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/53806982

The event runs from 19-22 August at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield.

Available to watch only on the BBC I believe, however you get your BBC. Not on any BBC channel but via the Red Button and live on BBC iPlayer as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Wasn't expecting fireworks but this Morgan/Wallace match is pretty dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I had assumed this was from earlier in the day but I see it's live and the Leo Fernandez match from earlier has to come back to be concluded.

Slow play and low scores in a lot of frames from these auld lads. Would nearly fancy giving them a game meself.

Would nearly fancy giving them a game meself.

Was thinking the same thing meself lol

25G for the winner of this title. Be alright for a few days work.

3 grand if you win the opening match and get to the quarters.

Never seen 2 players play each other both wearing gloves.

Beginning to sound like Phil Yates now. Worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TheHopeful

AllForIt wrote: »
    Never seen 2 players play each other both wearing gloves.

Beginning to sound like Phil Yates now. Worrying.

I see crafty ken won today, and is fav for the tournament outright. Do we know who's he's due to play next?

25G for the winner of this title. Be alright for a few days work.

No doubt prize money plays a bigger factor in the thoughts of the senior players than the more accomplished younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

And Morgan wins that one. To be fair he did knock in a couple of 70+ breaks in the end.

So Ken going for World Amateur, World Professional and World Seniors titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Really poor game between Cooper and Filtness this afternoon.3 1/2 hours in and its only 3-2 to Cooper.
    I know that the likes of Tony Drago and James Wattana pulled out over Covid and these lads got in off a ranking list but there must have been any amount of ex or current pro's who could have stepped in at short notice.
    Not a great way to sell this event on telly if these 2 boys are the best they could come up with.

Dennis Taylor struggling a bit to get his leg over at 71.

Dennis Taylor: "If anyone can get out of a sticky situation, it's Bond." :D

Frame one with Bond & Hendry fraught with errors; 28 - 35 atm in favour of Bond.

6 reds left. Can't see this being over in one visit, despite the reds all being in reasonable potting positions. Safety play going on currently.

First time watching this, and not impressed :pac:

Bond takes frame 1, manages to get as far as the colours - pots reds with a few colours; snookers himself on yellow. Hits the yellow easy enough. Stephen needed 2 snookers, and stays in his seat.

Omg Hendry has put on so much weight.

Looks like he's enjoying his retirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Didn't realise there was a thread for this. This is an enjoyable match!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hendry is still great to watch in full flow.

Is there a more recognisable stance ever?

I'm amazed that such an accomplished player like Hendry needs to employ the services of 'sight-right'. You'd think that anyone who can make any kind of a sizeable break has got that part of their technique right if noting else.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Didn't realise there was a thread for this. This is an enjoyable match!

Yeah that was quite a good match actually. Quite nostalgic to see Hendry play Bond, had many battles with each other the years.

Hendry maybe playing at bit slower than he used to but that's to be expected. Seemed really up for it too.

• Advertisement

Bloody red button goes off for womans golf highlights just as Knowles v Lines starts.

Walk on tunes for these oldies: Peter Lines has 'groove is in the heart' 1990 tune. Nice. Tony Knowles has some sort of Northern Soul number that I don't recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Nal wrote: »
    Hendry is still great to watch in full flow.

Is there a more recognisable stance ever?

Maybe Alex Higgins?

Walk on tunes for these oldies: Peter Lines has 'groove is in the heart' 1990 tune. Nice. Tony Knowles has some sort of Northern Soul number that I don't recognise.

Knowles looking well for 65. Surprising as he was know to be a bit of a party animal in his hay day.

I have to admit I've never heard of Peter Lines. Never heard the surname Lines either. Doesn't have a ring to it does it. I like the fact he doesn't hang about. I never thought playing slow is good for any player.

I have to admit I've never heard of Peter Lines. Never heard the surname Lines either. Doesn't have a ring to it does it. I like the fact he doesn't hang about. I never thought playing slow is good for any player.

Ta, was thread-watching, and assumed the "golf" was still on - until I saw your post, that is. :)

Can't believe you've never heard of the 'Lines' family. Both Peter, and his son Ollie been regulars on the Eurosport tourneys the last few years; usually getting knocked out early :pac:

Peter a good pundit/ co-commentator too. I heard him commentating before, and thought he was Dave Gilbert... :D A lot of similar accents I suppose - Joe Perry, and Ebdon sort of sound the same as well.

Not looking good for Knowles here

Peter's son Oliver has also been on the tour and been in the odd televised match at the UK etc.

Tony Knowles doesn't look all that different from 30 years ago if he shaved that beard. Still that distinctive cue action.

What a Shot by Tony! Good response by Peter.

Can't believe you've never heard of the 'Lines' family. Both Peter, and his son Ollie been regulars on the Eurosport tourneys the last few years; usually getting knocked out early :pac:

Not sure what you mean by the Eurosport tourneys. I know that's a typo, but yeah, that family Line was gone completely over my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Not sure what you mean by the Eurosport tourneys. I know that's a typo, but yeah, that family Line was gone completely over my head :)

Usually appear in the snooker shootout once a year. Joe Johnson won the first frame last night, and scored 8 points in the rest of the match, had a high break of 13. Good comeback from Hendry, was 3-1 down, and pulls the 5th frame out of the bag from well behind.

• Advertisement

'Tourneys' = Tournaments :)

Sorry about that abbreviation there; I meant the lesser events that Eurosport are good enough to show... ITV/ITV4 as well I think.

I'd never heard of Peter Lines myself, although he's a long time a pro, until his son Ollie came on the scene about 4 or so years ago. Manys the match I've seen them in since (they played against each other recently, although I can't remember who won) - I suppose because young Lines is 'photogenic' perhaps, and friends with Judd and Jack.

The commentators used to give them a good mention - father/son both pro's etc. Definitely more than their talent/s merited I thought :pac:

None of them up to much either - success wise.

Quarter Finals on later today.

White - Lines the last match today/tomorrow (it's tomorrow now I think :pac:). Doubt we'll hear too many hip - hop puns from Dennis :D. Think it was an 80s song ('White Lines' that is) warning of the danger of drug abuse.

Crafty playing Darren Morgan at 3 I think.

Way it's set up Jimmy and Hendry could meet in the first semi, and the winner to face Ken potentially in the Final. Both the semis and the final are on Saturday from what I can gather.

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=24&season=2019

Advertisement