Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coral Players Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I agree on Wilson as well as the other poster - very boring. Don't much like Murphy either.. too pompous for me.

I like Murphy's snooker personalty. Saved some matches recently on deciders where he went all out, more recently in the Welsh Masters semi-final where he ended up winning it outright and in his last match at this event to keep him in it.
    It's not that i particularly think Maguire is boring but i got fed up with his temper tantrums and constant aggressive facial expressions and uttering expletives. Also the only player to avoid wearing a bow (medical condition yea i'm sure). To be blunt, he has very little ettiquette and lacks basic table manners and i just dont like him for these reasons.

Yeah a lot of ppl feel that too. I guess it's just his way with dealing with the pressure. His frustration I always thought comes from a lack of commitment and underachievement from him. It's more his temperament rather than his personality. He seems like a nice bloke in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Some good points there even if I don't mind how he carries on myself..

Murphy, on the other hand has too much etiquette, like the other day playing Robertson I think - he left the table needing snookers after having tried to get them but failing... He done the "gentlemanly" thing apparently by letting the frame continue instead of conceding it there and then :(

I must say i quite like Shaun Murphy. His love and respect for the game shines through and he's a worthy ambassador for snooker. Carries himself well, speaks positively, doesn't disrespect opponents or referees'. I like his style.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I like Murphy's snooker personalty. Saved some matches recently on deciders where he went all out, more recently in the Welsh Masters semi-final where he ended up winning it outright and in his last match at this event to keep him in it.

[HTML]
    Yeah a lot of ppl feel that too. I guess it's just his way with dealing
    with the pressure. His frustration I always thought comes from a lack of
    commitment and underachievement from him. It's more his temperament rather than
    his personality. He seems like a nice bloke in interviews.[/HTML]
    He does alright, seems very friendly in interviews - remember seeing him with his kid in one once. But Murphy - A right goody goody - don't like him at all in interviews... Entertaining player to watch though - doesn't go into "turtle" mode very often..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I must say i quite like Shaun Murphy. His love and respect for the game shines through and he's a worthy ambassador for snooker. Carries himself well, speaks positively, doesn't disrespect opponents or referees'. I like his style.

He disrespected maguire all those years ago over the infamous chalk incident i would say. But thats long time ago and i think murphy is a lot better person than he used to be. Had a fairly tough life in many ways so do have lot of resect for him both on and off the table.

Could be curtains....

Come on Joe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jesus. I just want to go to bed. This is torture.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

It's so bad now that it's weirdly entertaining.

Yan far too profligate - doesn't deserve to win.... At least Joe has the playing badly excuse

• Advertisement

Yan far too profligate - doesn't deserve to win.... At least Joe has the playing badly excuse

At last!!!

6 - 5 Yan.

Best player overall, deserving winner, despite the above :pac:

Enjoyed that. But perry will be sick with himself, couple of basic positional shots were fluffed. Yan was there for the taking.

Enjoyed that. But perry will be sick with himself, couple of basic positional shots were fluffed. Yan was there for the taking.

He should've smashed that last pink and let the chips fall etc,,,,, far too tentative.... He'll definitely feel he left that one behind him,,,

Why Perry put that much topspin on the pink over the pocket I'll never know. You could have given a cue to someone who never picked one up in their lives and they could have gotten the cue ball on the bottom half of the table to have a chance at the black.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Why Perry put that much topspin on the pink over the pocket I'll never know. You could have given a cue to someone who never picked one up in their lives and they could have gotten the cue ball on the bottom half of the table to have a chance at the black.

Topspin that close to the cushion a rookie error... Maybe nerves got to him.. Plain ball with a touch of side maybe and let the white zip all around the table - give him a chance of getting on the black - I dunno, can't remember the exact positions of cue ball and pink but I think the pink was too close to the cushion for a topspin shot with power....

He should've smashed that last pink and let the chips fall etc,,,,, far too tentative.... He'll definitely feel he left that one behind him,,,

Potted blue and didnt get position, then missed easy snooker behind the black. And then of course, that shot on the pink... What more chances did he need?

• Advertisement

Only excuse i can think is he caught pink too thick, maybe meant to catch it thinner and white would travel back up table. But would have to see it again to be sure.

Potted blue and didnt get position, then missed easy snooker behind the black. And then of course, that shot on the pink... What more chances did he need?

Missing the snooker behind the black ultimately done for him.. Looked like he got it though until the camera angle showed no snooker... Unlucky; I thought he played that shot well(enough)...

Only excuse i can think is he caught pink too thick, maybe meant to catch it thinner and white would travel back up table. But would have to see it again to be sure.

Don't have the facility to record/rewind itv :mad:

Could get a better post mortem in than my sozzled noggin will allow. I've probably contradicted myself a few times already :D

Missing the snooker behind the black ultimately done for him.. Looked like he got it though until the camera angle showed no snooker... Unlucky; I thought he played that shot well(enough)...

Yeah, was probably being too hard on him for that. These cloths are so slick that its hard to get delicate shots like that to the inch, likely felt he'd nailed it as soon as white left the cue.

Allen v Murphy. Interesting match up between guys who have become good friends and frequent practice partners. On recent form you'd have to make murphy favourite so just hoping allen gives a good account of himself. Probably needs it more.

• Advertisement

Only one snooker player turned up today. Allen just been dismal, surprised he's even got 2 frames.

6-2 it is. To be fair to allen he has been under the weather all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Stephen Maguire looks like had a shave 15 minutes before coming out this evening. Clearly means business.

For some reason Ch 132 on Virgin which is ITV 4 is saying service not available. Never happened before.

Immense first frame. Best safety exchange I've seen in ages.

Hard one for maguire to take there, felt he maybe needed to win that opening frame for sake of the match. Enjoying some of these broad camera angles, eurosport could take note.

Top class fare. Judd missing a few and mags punishing. Great safety exchanges. Has the look of going all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Just get the impression from the very start that Maguire has decided he's winning this match.

Yes, very impressed with Maguire. Like Murphy he seems determined to get his act together of late. Even shaves.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Just get the impression from the very start that Maguire has decided he's winning this match.

Definitely very focused and at 0-3 you'd expect him to have thrown in the towel. Been a masterclass in controlled snooker since then. Now, can he get the job done?

Momentum appears to be moving in Trump’s direction now, feels like Maguire may have missed his chance at 5-3.

• Advertisement

He's faltering within sight of the jamstick, thats for sure. Been a fabulous match though, deserves a decider.

Match at his mercy after a superb black to split the pack, then he goes and gets wrong side of the blue, break over on 49.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Trump playing a different game at the moment. Amazing.

What a clearance.

Judd was a bit off his game tonight i thought, but saved it all for the finish. Utterly spellbinding. Hope maguire doesnt beat himself up over it. Needed to win to get into tour champs i think so will be gutted. But played his part in tertific contest.

I feel for Maguire loosing the match, I felt he deserved it, but that was an amazing clearance by Trump which started by cutting in a red to the center pocket which was brave. The position he finished on on the penultimate red was perfect to take the final red of cush and you could see at that point it was all over.

Glad Trump won. What a player. Close to genius status over last two years. Scarily talented. Any final with Trump in it is going to be good.

Hope Murphy continues his good form tonight. A Murphy v Trump final would be exciting.

First frame last night was a marathon too. Seems a lot of long tactical frames this week. Nothing at all wrong with it.

Murphy having a nightmare, but not for the first time Bingtao bottling it when in front. I predict a post midnight 6-5 finish.

• Advertisement

That was tough yellow yan missed in fairness. Murph looked nervous clearing those up but got it done well enough. Do agree could be a late one. Here's hoping at least.

Bingtao keeping his composure after all, looking quite confident. Only going to be one winner.

No fireworks but just very steady eddie and murphy cant cope with it. Good player for sure yan, be interesting to find out just how good he might be. Hard to say yet i think.

Bizarre this performance from Murphy given his recent improvement in form.

Was watching Dubs game so missed most the snooker. Was hoping the match would be still well alive but Yan looks to have battered Murphy.

Only one player in it, murphy didnt show. But still good from yan, 100 per cent on long pots, 14/14. Not a stat you see often.

• Advertisement

Should be a good final tomorrow.. I reckon Judd would prefer to be playing Murphy; he'd know what
    he was getting. Yan a different proposition - some turnaround from his last match... Fair play to him;
    hope he wins...

One way traffic. Think I would have preferred Murphy in the final.

Can’t warm to Bingtao. Other than being young I can’t find anything to like about him or his game.

Enjoyed the tournament but semi-finals onwards was disappointing for entertainment value.

Too much sport on yesterday. I watched early frames of this match and the last few. Trump so dominant he looks unbeatable when on his A game. Another ranking title for the bulging trophy cabinet. Hard to see anyone dethroning him at Sheffield but there are quite a few who will fancy their chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Too much sport on yesterday. I watched early frames of this match and the last few. Trump so dominant he looks unbeatable when on his A game. Another ranking title for the bulging trophy cabinet. Hard to see anyone dethroning him at Sheffield but there are quite a few who will fancy their chances.

Yes didn’t get to see much of it myself but from what I did he seems to be unplayable when he’s on form. 5 big titles this season for him and he’ll obviously be starting in Sheffield as the hot favourite although he’ll have to beat the infamous Cruicble curse if he’s to win it again.

Championship league this week then the trip to Gibraltar, I’m hearing it’s 50/50 at the moment if it’s going ahead due to the hysteria over this Covid 19, although there’s quite a few players will want it to go ahead so they can grab some very important ranking points !

• Advertisement
Advertisement