Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midges - Weather Related Pests

Options
  • 06-01-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hubby has just pointed out a swarm of b"^%$y Midges in our garden, hanging out beside the boiler house (in a small courtyard thats sheltered).:eek:

Change of tactic, I think we need some seriously cold weather SOON.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Slugs still working away in my back garden.
    Grass still growing, bloody weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I am planning to cut my grass this weekend :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Extreme cold is a pest, this current weather gives the possibility of early grass for the cows, once the ground dries up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

The daffodils are already growing fast, they sprung up in mid December! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

My magnolia is budding and has been since before Christmas. The poor thing is confused. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

There is a bit of frog spawn about

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

At this stage I'd rather have a load of snow instead of hard frost, if we get frost, it will be another bad season for the rhubarb, there's a couple of early shoots showing already on the old crowns, which is way early for this area, I've also got some new ones in that were cheap in Lidl a while back, and hard frost will hit them hard, whereas some snow over it for a couple of weeks would be ideal to protect them. If it must, then cover them with snow and then get colder, but I want some protection first :D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've had bloody blue bottles flying in the front door over the last few days. Blue Bottles in January!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Sweet jesus, only in ireland will we complain about the most harmless of creatures! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

adamski8 wrote: »
    Sweet jesus, only in ireland will we complain about the most harmless of creatures! :p

They are the winged bastards of the apocolypse !! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

theparish wrote: »
    There is a bit of frog spawn about

So even the frogs have given up on the winter, they have been spotted hopping around in some areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more!!! Anyone who thinks midges are harmless has never experienced their unique brand of unrelenting torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Seems to be a huge difference between the north and south this winter, we've had plenty of wintry weather here and there's not a hope of any flies surviving or grass growing. Not much real cold obviously but plenty of wind, hail and sleet all through December which is exactly what I'd expect for this time of year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I only wish Deep Easterly was here to see this thread! :D

Midges (and cordylines) - not to mention slugs, ants, weeds and various nasty fungi thrive in frost-free winters :eek:

We need a fortnight of sub-zero temps with minima of -15 (at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Down hiking in Wicklow yesterday and got bitten by a few midge on our lunch stop. Couldn't believe it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Plenty of spiders webs around too and I saw one little spider happily spinning away on a window earlier.

A boards.ie snow bunny is surely the classic 'weather-related pest' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I am planning to cut my grass this weekend :mad:

Had the very same thought myself today, it could deffo get away with a trim.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Had the very same thought myself today, it could deffo get away with a trim.

Don't cut it low or you'll only give more space to the moss especially coming into the winter.

Joe Public wrote: »
    Don't cut it low or you'll only give more space to the moss especially coming into the winter.

Hey!

I like moss :)

• Advertisement

If the cold spell comes off I suppose the frogs will go back into hibernation, the birds will stop building their nests, flowers that are out too early will back off or just slow down. Nature will respond to weather conditions like already happening in the parts of Europe where it also had been unusually mild.
    I'd love to think that nature can predict the weather but I'm still looking for real proof.

Or, if we get -10c, the plants and animals that peeped too quickly will be wiped out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Bicycle wrote: »
    Hubby has just pointed out a swarm of b"^%$y Midges in our garden, hanging out beside the boiler house (in a small courtyard thats sheltered).:eek:

Change of tactic, I think we need some seriously cold weather SOON.

Yes, came up in a farming program last Saturday, the Irish Livestock Herd is under threat of a few major diseases that are midge related, the last two snowy winters has lead to an unprecedented healthy level in our Herd, and they fear this mild winter and the outbreak of disease that it will inevitable bring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yes, they are.

Advertisement