Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vat on commercial veichles

Options
  • 15-01-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am looking at buying a commercial veichle for my business but I am wondering if I am claiming vat back on the total purchase price of the veichle including vrt i.e ( price + vat + vrt) e.g €35000 + €8050 + €6950 = €50000 - 23% vat = €40650 + vat = claiming back €9350
    Or am I only claiming back the €8050 before vrt was added.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I am looking at buying a commercial veichle for my business but I am wondering if I am claiming vat back on the total purchase price of the veichle including vrt i.e ( price + vat + vrt) e.g €35000 + €8050 + €6950 = €50000 - 23% vat = €40650 + vat
    Or am I only claiming back the €8050 before vrt was added.
    Thanks

Vat is chargeable in the UK so the VRT figure is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ciandelaney02

I’m looking at buying a new veichle from an Irish dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

There's no VAT on VRT. That gets added at the end. So just the €8,050 amount

I’m looking at buying a new veichle from an Irish dealer

So why mention vrt at all, surely the VRT was just silently baked into purchase price? , vat would in this case be reclaimable on the grand total inclusive of vrt

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    So why mention vrt at all, surely the VRT was just silently baked into price, vat would in this case be reclaimable on the grand total inclusive of vrt

Because there's VRT on all new vehicles. And it's a separate item that does not accrue VAT

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Because there's VRT on all new vehicles. And it's a separate item that does not accrue VAT

I'm not registered for vat so wouldn't be able to reclaim the 23%, just assumed you reclaimed 23% of the total

Learn something new every day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

You will be charged Vat on the full price including VRT for a registered vehicle IE A vehicle with a registration plate.. The VRT is paid by the dealer when the vehicle is registered and the dealer then charges you VAT at 23% on the agreed price.

However if you buy a unregistered vehicle from a dealer then you will only be charged Vat on the price the dealer charges and then you will be responsible for registering the vehicle and paying the VRT.

Details at section 4.2 at https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-transactions-motor-vehicles.pdf

Why would a dealer register a vehicle before selling it?

And they normally sort the registration for you, you just have to fill in forms.

Why would a dealer register a vehicle before selling it?

And they normally sort the registration for you, you just have to fill in forms.

A lot of dealers registered the 5 seat commercial stock they didn’t sell before the vrt changes last August before they went up in price

A lot of dealers registered the 5 seat commercial stock they didn’t sell before the vrt changes last August before they went up in price

That was an unusual, one off type of situation. A dealer wouldn't normally register a car before sale

• Advertisement

So when a dealer advertises a new commercial veichle for €52154 plus vat = €64150 inc vat that price is including vrt.
    Does that not mean you’re reclaiming vat on the total purchase price ?
    And if not how is that price structured?

So when a dealer advertises a new commercial veichle for €52154 plus vat = €64150 inc vat that price is including vrt.
    Does that not mean you’re reclaiming vat on the total purchase price ?
    And if not how is that price structured?

I've never seen an ad like that. As has been said above, you only pay VRT when you buy a car that hasn't been registered previously (which from my experience is the vast majority of cases). And there's no VAT on the VRT amount

If you look up brand new Land Rover discovery’s Land Rover dealerships advertise the cars as a certain price plus vat even though they’re unregistered. I fully understand what you’re saying it’s just that the numbers don’t add up.

If you look up brand new Land Rover discovery’s Land Rover dealerships advertise the cars as a certain price plus vat even though they’re unregistered. I fully understand what you’re saying it’s just that the numbers don’t add up.

Can you throw up a link?

Can you throw up a link?
    Is it that they get registered when they are imported. Not the same as registered to a user but to a dealer who is then responsible for paying the Vrt when it is sold to final user.

It won’t let me post a link. They’re on Carzone

Is it that they get registered when they are imported. Not the same as registered to a user but to a dealer who is then responsible for paying the Vrt when it is sold to final user.

Never heard of such a situation. As far as I know the VRT has to be paid upon registration, there's no deferring it.

There's a possibility the seller will pay the VRT themselves on the sale. And are simply giving an increased price to the buyer by not showing the non vatable VRT separately

At the end of the day, you can only claim the VAT amount that's noted on a purchase invoice. So if they haven't noted the VRT on it and have charged everything at 23%, that's what you claim and they pay

Found a link that seems to solve it.

Firstly, the dealer advertises a price as x plus vat which will include the Vrt. The dealer does not charge vat on the vrt but collects the vrt on behalf of the government. That means that the price you pay will not be the advertised price plus 23% vat. Ie vat on the vrt explosive figure.

Link below brings you to the summary of a revenue document.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-transactions-motor-vehicles.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj3lIel0vDfAhXYTxUIHYRfCh0QFjABegQICxAE&usg=AOvVaw0Jrd6yMBSVH6OZxT2eunRr

Found a link that seems to solve it.

Firstly, the dealer advertises a price as x plus vat which will include the Vrt. The dealer does not charge vat on the vrt but collects the vrt on behalf of the government. That means that the price you pay will not be the advertised price plus 23% vat. Ie vat on the vrt explosive figure.

Link below brings you to the summary of a revenue document.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-transactions-motor-vehicles.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj3lIel0vDfAhXYTxUIHYRfCh0QFjABegQICxAE&usg=AOvVaw0Jrd6yMBSVH6OZxT2eunRr

What section of that doc states it?

Seems silly them advertising a different price than what you actually pay

• Advertisement

What section of that doc states it?

Seems silly them advertising a different price than what you actually pay

Section 4.2.

But they are not advertising a different price. You are just assuming the rate of vat. If you are vat registered it is just a cashflow consideration.

If they quote including vat and you are vat registered than you need to find the value of the vat to work out the final cost to you.

If the Vehicle has been pre registered then the vat will be calculated on the vrt inclusive value.

Sorry I misread you're previous post. So they're just saying €xxxxx + VAT. That's perfectly fine and agrees with what I've been saying. To calculate the actual VAT you need the price exclusive of VRT

Coming back to this post, what makes you think the figures don't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You will be charged Vat on the full price including VRT for a registered vehicle IE A vehicle with a registration plate.. The VRT is paid by the dealer when the vehicle is registered and the dealer then charges you VAT at 23% on the agreed price.

However if you buy a unregistered vehicle from a dealer then you will only be charged Vat on the price the dealer charges and then you will be responsible for registering the vehicle and paying the VRT.

Details at section 4.2 at https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-transactions-motor-vehicles.pdf

That is incorrect. You don’t pay VAT on the VRT bit, so for example, if a van is €20,000 including VAT, and VRT is €200 then you’re claiming VAT on €19,800.
    Not a problem when it’s a small VRT amount, but for the likes of crewcabs, VRT is a bigger chunk of the value of the vehicle. Same principle applies.

Sorry I misread you're previous post. So they're just saying €xxxxx + VAT. That's perfectly fine and agrees with what I've been saying. To calculate the actual VAT you need the price exclusive of VRT

Yeh, seems like that. Only complication I can see is if the vehicle has been pre registered. If you are buying off a standard price list and ordering it in then that would not be the case.

Yeh, seems like that. Only complication I can see is if the vehicle has been pre registered. If you are buying off a standard price list and ordering it in then that would not be the case.

There's no complication if it's a registered vehicle. You pay VAT at 23% on full amount as someone would have already paid the VRT

Those Discovery’s are 2 seat commercial so VRT is €200. What’s probably confusing is they lead with the price of the S model, but show the SE and HSE models.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That is incorrect. You don’t pay VAT on the VRT bit, so for example, if a van is €20,000 including VAT, and VRT is €200 then you’re claiming VAT on €19,800.
    Not a problem when it’s a small VRT amount, but for the likes of crewcabs, VRT is a bigger chunk of the value of the vehicle. Same principle applies.

They were right in saying the full transaction is at 23% when buying a car that is already registered. This is because the VRT has already been paid on it

There's no complication if it's pre registered. You pay VAT at 23% as someone would have already paid the VRT

I sold a hilux demo to a fella back in 04 and the buyer was able to claim VAT on the full amount, where we would have paid around 3-4K VRT and less VAT.

• Advertisement

They were right in saying the full transaction is at 23% when buying a car that is already registered. This is because the VRT has already been paid on it

I misunderstood the terminology of buying a vehicle with/without plates on it.

Advertisement