Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Diesel not practical

Options
  • 14-01-2019 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

I have a 2014 Seat Leon ST (1.6 TDI SE,80.000km) which I have been using for commuting and regular longer trips at weekends, but usage/need has dropped dramatically. That, along with the type of driving it is now being used for, do not make diesel practical, and I really just need a run around now.

My wife has a 2007 Skoda Octavia (1.4 petrol, 180,000km), which is used for a local commute,school runs/shopping etc etc but it's starting to show it's age. I'm thinking it makes more sense that I take the Skoda and drive that until something goes wrong that is not economically worth fixing. At that point I'll get a cheap runaround.

I'd sell the Seat now, and replace that with a petrol or hybrid for my wife to use. Ideally I don't want to spend more than 15k (including the Seat) but it would need to be a family size car. Other than that it just needs to be reliable and as economical as possible - I'm thinking Prius, and plan on having a look at the one below:

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/prius/used-2013-131-toyota-prius-hybrid-blu-dublin-fpa-201808279883374

I can't really afford to replace both cars now so this seems to me to be the most practical route to take. Practically we can't get away with one car. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas/options.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Depending on daily mileage you could look at BEV(Battery Electric Vehicle). Use the BEV as a run around and then have the Octavia for longer trips.

You would need to have a house which you could install a charge point. You will save on fuel /tax/insurance/service so will help towards replacing other car

Apart from that you are limited on hybrid, the Toyota is most common but you will get jap imports. You will get some Honda imports etc

This could be good, big car: https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/camry/used-2013-131-toyota-camry-avv50-4dr-tipperary-fpa-201810231762611

Very surprised to see the Outlander PHEV come down into budget: https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mitsubishi/outlander/used-2015-151-mitsubishi-outlander-2-dublin-fpa-201809120430391

Could be another option, again would need home charger. You will do 30km on battery or so. Few knocking around. A big car and if you are driving lots of short trips then you could do all on the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Priuseses are quite soul destroying to drive. Personally I wouldn't take on the mysteries of second hand hybrid ownership just yet.

Your 15k would put you in a 2016 Leon 1.2 TSI petrol hatchback with a nice spec. Sell the ST privately and a dealer would love to see you coming with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I'd just get the best spec'd petrol car I liked for the money.

If you an ST you must like cars. Buying a prius seems like a punishment you don't deserve. Is it just to feel better about saving 0.5l of fuel a week? Don't bother.

Get another Leon, great cars or an octavia or golf or whatever. But a prius!?!

Advertisement