Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota d4d

• 13-01-2019 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

anyone know if a starter motor from a 2002 avensis d4d will fit an 2002 hiace d4d

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,463 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look on toyodiy.com should give the part numbers for each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re different. I think there’s some common between the 3.0 and 2.5 but when you can get a Hiace starter for €100 on micksgarage then why bother messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭LeoHughes

not sure if starter ....i put a fully chargard battery in the hiace and she starts, 1 minute later i switch her off and she wont start, its like the bad battery but tried 2 more batteries and same story,one battery is fully charged and you get her on the first churn she will start, turn her off and she is done

So what happens when it doesn’t start? Does the starter turn very slowly or do you just get a clicking noise?

Are you saying that just by leaving the van running long enough, the battery goes flat?

So for example, you have a full battery, the van starts?
    Then immediately you turn it off, van starts again?
    Repeat?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So what happens when it doesn’t start? Does the starter turn very slowly or do you just get a clicking noise?

Are you saying that just by leaving the van running long enough, the battery goes flat?

So for example, you have a full battery, the van starts?
    Then immediately you turn it off, van starts again?
    Repeat?
    once i put a fully charged battery in she starts but if i switch her off in few minutes she churns over but slower and then doesnt start, if i get another fully charged battery it will start but same story
    even if hill start her and drive the van for hours and switch her off she wont start again, no alternator/battery light on either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Test the voltage output from the alternator?

LeoHughes wrote: »
    once i put a fully charged battery in she starts but if i switch her off in few minutes she churns over but slower and then doesnt start, if i get another fully charged battery it will start but same story
    even if hill start her and drive the van for hours and switch her off she wont start again, no alternator/battery light on either

That doesn’t sound like anything to do with the starter. Sounds more like the battery isn’t getting charge.

That doesn’t sound like anything to do with the starter. Sounds more like the battery isn’t getting charge.

but a battery would not go down that quick would it and no battery or alternator light on

The battery is going dead after you drive it isn’t it?

Are any of these batteries you’re using new? Like can we rule out the batteries being fecked?

The battery is going dead after you drive it isn’t it?

Are any of these batteries you’re using new? Like can we rule out the batteries being fecked?

yes good batteries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Jaysus would ya not just get it properly diagnosed??

From my couch I can say with a degree of certainty your starter is ok. It sounds lile something is draining the battery when you turn the engine off.

First step would be a parasitic drain test followed by correct diagnosis of the fault base on what fuse you had to remove to stop the power drain....
    You could have a stuck glow plug relay for example.

Have a competent mechanic look at it rather than firing the parts cannon at it and hoping for the best....

Jaysus would ya not just get it properly diagnosed??

From my couch I can say with a degree of certainty your starter is ok. It sounds lile something is draining the battery when you turn the engine off.

First step would be a parasitic drain test followed by correct diagnosis of the fault base on what fuse you had to remove to stop the power drain....
    You could have a stuck glow plug relay for example.

Have a competent mechanic look at it rather than firing the parts cannon at it and hoping for the best....

snap on was put on and no faults shows up but have to get it investigated further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

LeoHughes wrote:
    snap on was put on and no faults shows up but have to get it investigated further

Diagnostic machines will not show the fault here. They only take details from various emissions related sensors & other Ecu's.
    You have a bad earth or a relay stuck on or something like that. You need to put a multimeter between the live cable & the battery to see the voltage then start removing fuses until the power drain stops. Then you will know what system or part is draining your battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

On the basis of what you described, I'd be looking at the starter or a bad earth as the most likely fault but it's only by a process of checking and elimination that you'll determine the cause for sure.

If I recall correctly wasn't there an issue with the ignition barrel in some early Avensis (Avensii!). This involved wear in the slot where the key barrel met the actual mechanism that turned internally. (Sorry for the poor explanation!). I would have thought that this would have manifested itself in an all or nothing response i.e. start normally or no life at all but perhaps in this case, it's somehow making a poor contact that in turn is not giving the solenoid the full current it needs. Maybe Colm might know more and comment.

Advertisement