Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Internal Windscreen Coating Issue?

Options
  • 06-01-2019 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Bought brand new car in May this year, and no matter how I clean the inside of the front windscreen,washing up liquid, windscreen cleaner, ethanol, after about a week or so its dirty again-foggy, build up of stuff, and I can see the outline of possible stickers or a film that might have been stuck to the inside on the windscreen before I bought it, similar issue on the drivers window also

Have tried every configuration of ac/temp/fans also

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

IPA is a better degreaser than ethanol so try that to clean the window. I've found CarPro FogFight wonderful for keeping condonation at bay. I use it to coat the inside of motorhome windscreens and I get no condensation after sleeping.

For you, I'd degrease the windscreen with IPA and apply FogFight. Then, leave the a/c on with the car set to bring in fresh air rather than recirculating the stale air. After that, DON'T TOUCH THE WINDSCREEN!

If that didn't work, then I'd check for water in the spare wheel well and/or damp carpets. If you have water in the car, it's leaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Cheers for that, need something like that defog stuff
    Checked for moisture,No water, leaks found anywhere. New car so hoping its definitely not leaking yet!
    Any other suggestions appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If you're using A/C or blowers then don't pull in air from outside when in traffic, you'll get tons of airborne pollutants too small to be filtered out by a cabin filter and a haze settles on the screen, also if you smoke, then quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Do you vape op? If you vape in the car it puts a horrible film on the inside of the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Damien360

I read on a couple of sites it is outgassing from plastics. The only thing against that is you need heat to get that happening. My Superb is terrible for doing this and much worse than my last one. IPA on a microfibre wipe is the only thing that works but it returns every 4 weeks and I have to reclean. Don't smoke/vape and I never touch my windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Some on you may have hit the nail on the head with the vaping! Feck! Never happened in my old car! Need to quit it seems!
    Will def try the IPA- Where would I get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Damien360

youngblood wrote: »
    Some on you may have hit the nail on the head with the vaping! Feck! Never happened in my old car! Need to quit it seems!
    Will def try the IPA- Where would I get that from?

Iso propyl alcohol. Chemist will have it. It is not nail polish remover as that is acetone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you're going to get it in a pharmacy, ask for rubbing alcohol.

Advertisement