Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Juke starting problem

Options
  • 31-12-2018 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi everyone I have a 2012 juke bought it from a dealers about a week ago didnt drive it much for the week I had it over been Xmas was lying there .

After all that anyway it was very hard to start almost like battery was dead i brought it to a shop that sells batterys and tests them they tested battery and alternator and said the battery was at fault ..

i phoned the dealer and said it to him he changed the battery what looks like a new battery but the problem is still there although it's not as bad to start compared to what it was has anyone had similar problems before I bring it to a mechanic just trying to see if anyone knows before go ahead with the mechanic and then to go back to the dealer as I only have it over a week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's a diesel check to see if it's a genuine Nissan fuel filter that is fitted, have heard of problems with the Qashqai which shares the same engine if non genuine Nissan filter was used.

More info here...
    http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/start-problem-15-dci_topic16065.html

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Jayjay2424

If it's a diesel check to see if it's a genuine Nissan fuel filter that is fitted, have heard of problems with the Qashqai which shares the same engine if non genuine Nissan filter was used.

More info here...
    http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/start-problem-15-dci_topic16065.html

Yes it's diesel sorry forgot to mention I don't know if it would be the fuel filter it don't seem to happen all the time sometimes it could fire up fine it's strange cause the longer it's sitting the longer it takes to crank over when it's been driven throughout the day it's starts on first go 80% of the time batterys new so I can tick that off

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

New battery could be too small and not have enough amps to turn over your cold engine. Presume it’s the 1.5dci engine in the Juke? Ask your local motor factors to look at the battery and see if it’s the right one for the car.

Battery could also be a dud either.

Max Moment wrote: »
    New battery could be too small and not have enough amps to turn over your cold engine. Presume it’s the 1.5dci engine in the Juke? Ask your local motor factors to look at the battery and see if it’s the right one for the car.

Battery could also be a dud either.

Yes it's the 1.5dci the battery is 70amps from the sticker I don't know if that's the required amount for diesel engines but new battery made only a fraction of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It’s possible the priming bubble beside the fuel filter is perished.

When it won’t start again squeeze the bubble until you feel resistance in it and try start it again.

It’ll look something like this.

http://thumb2.zeppy.io/d/l400/pict/392173070835/new-genuine-nissan-qashqai-j10-06-13-diesel-hand-primer-fuel-pump-17270jd500

• Advertisement

Stoolbend wrote: »
    It’s possible the priming bubble beside the fuel filter is perished.

When it won’t start again squeeze the bubble until you feel resistance in it and try start it again.

It’ll look something like this.

http://thumb2.zeppy.io/d/l400/pict/392173070835/new-genuine-nissan-qashqai-j10-06-13-diesel-hand-primer-fuel-pump-17270jd500

I tried that didnt make any difference it's when it left there for a couple of hours it starts then right away I never had this problem with any other diesels before no matter how cold it was or any ting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Jayjay2424 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I have a 2012 juke bought it from a dealers about a week ago didnt drive it much for the week I had it over been Xmas was lying there .

After all that anyway it was very hard to start almost like battery was dead i brought it to a shop that sells batterys and tests them they tested battery and alternator and said the battery was at fault ..

i phoned the dealer and said it to him he changed the battery what looks like a new battery but the problem is still therealthough it's not as bad to start compared to what it was has anyone had similar problems before I bring it to a mechanic just trying to see if anyone knows before go ahead with the mechanic and then to go back to the dealer as I only have it over a week

That'll be the new battery providing the extra cranking amperage to the engine, compensating for the likely non-working glow plug system.

Assuming the priming bulb is good, then with the 1.5 dCi Renault engine, they're well known for having both the glow plugs and the glow plug control module give up the ghost after a good while.
    Fortunately, they're not a difficult glow plug to change - I haven't snapped a 1.5 Renault plug yet :o
    Though I couldn't tell you where the module is located in the Nissan Juke.. Only that it looks like this:
    668185293_o.jpg

Part of being a Directly injected Compression Ignition engine is that it does eventually start without much - or any - pre heating but it's always good to have heat... Particularly with this. While they're not indirectly injected, the enlarged swirl pot within the pistons mean heat is nonetheless somewhat required during cranking, to compensate for the slightly lower compression on account of the piston shape. A compression lowered further still by failing batteries - lower cranking speeds..

TLDR hop on their backs to check the glow plugs and the relay, they're not the most expensive yoke at least.

That'll be the new battery providing the extra cranking amperage to the engine, compensating for the likely non-working glow plug system.

Assuming the priming bulb is good, then with the 1.5 dCi Renault engine, they're well known for having both the glow plugs and the glow plug control module give up the ghost after a good while.
    Fortunately, they're not a difficult glow plug to change - I haven't snapped a 1.5 Renault plug yet :o
    Though I couldn't tell you where the module is located in the Nissan Juke.. Only that it looks like this:
    668185293_o.jpg

Part of being a Directly injected Compression Ignition engine is that it does eventually start without much - or any - pre heating but it's always good to have heat... Particularly with this. While they're not indirectly injected, the enlarged swirl pot within the pistons mean heat is nonetheless somewhat required during cranking, to compensate for the slightly lower compression on account of the piston shape. A compression lowered further still by failing batteries - lower cranking speeds..

TLDR hop on their backs to check the glow plugs and the relay, they're not the most expensive yoke at least.

So you think it's the glow plugs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Jayjay2424 wrote: »
    So you think it's the glow plugs ?

I'd be inclined to anyway. Easy enough to connect an ammeter straight between the battery and each plug to load test it. Usually three don't take anything at all so all four are swapped.

Quite often if the relay is OK we leave it and two weeks later it gets hard to start again - now the relay has had it, so we usually just change both now and all's good for the next half decade or so.

Advertisement