Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Father-in-law and Toyota Avensis

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Mondeo is up against the Corolla

How do you figure that out?
    Corolla would be a C segment car and the Mondeo would be a D segment car !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Mondeo is up against the Corolla

The Camry is putting itself into the Audi A6/5 Series bracket of cars.

The mondeo was always in the same class as the avensis, why would it now be with the corolla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The mondeo was always in the same class as the avensis, why would it now be with the corolla?

It's between Corolla and Camry.

Like the avensis was.

It's against neither and both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It's between Corolla and Camry.

Like the avensis was.

It's against neither and both.

Mondeo is bigger than you might think.

Mondeo
    Wheelbase 2,850 mm (112.2 in)
    Length 4,869 mm (191.7 in)
    Width 1,852 mm (72.9 in)
    Height 1,476 mm (58.1 in)

2019 Camry
    Wheel Base 2775mm
    Length 4850mm
    Width 1825mm
    Height 1480mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Can you point out a comparable premium brand hybrid for similar money?

People that don’t want or need specifically a hybrid can go to Audi or BMW and buy an A4 or 3 Series- these are the buyers Toyota will be competing for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

road_high wrote: »
    People that don’t want or need specifically a hybrid can go to Audi or BMW and buy an A4 or 3 Series- these are the buyers Toyota will be competing for

Are they though? They're all smaller cars and the majority are diesel.

If they don't want a hybrid then they're not really the target market.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not expecting to see Camrys everywhere but it's well placed to take sales from people who have otherwise not had a non diesel choice in recent years and who don't need a diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

While people don't really know a hybrid Mondeo exists, it's still probably the closest rival to the Camry in terms of dimensions, list price and target audience here. Could be appealing to taxi drivers looking for something bigger and more comfortable than a Prius but new prices might prove a stumbling block.

Also the Camry wont' be a competitor to the likes of the A6 or 5 Series. Toyota already have Lexus to compete with premium brands like that and the Lexus equivalent of the A6/5 Series is the new ES300h hybrid saloon which starts at 50k and replaced the old GS model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've seen a few import Camry hybrids going around on taxi plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

Is that Mondeo petrol or diesel hybrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Had a look at the beepbeep.ie stats just now having seen some of the commentary in this thread.

There was 10 k normal petrol and Hybrid Toyotas sold last year.

For me if you are someone who always bought Toyota for reliability the hybrids do have a very good reputation vs other makes.

So I suspect that while some folk are nervous about driving a hybrid and buying into the tech - others were probably seeing the Hybrid as the route to go for reliability in 2018.

The automatic thing is a hurdle though - something Toyota could help with having good handovers at the dealers, letting people have cars for the weekend etc.

This won't work for all of course.

But we can see from Toyota 2018 figures that sales weren't torpedoed when diesel excluded from the figures.

I also think it's worth noting that some people are turning away from technology that actually makes for a nicer drive vs the old diesel.

To be fair this is something for Toyota to address in terms of understanding their customer base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Old diesel wrote: »
    Had a look at the beepbeep.ie stats just now having seen some of the commentary in this thread.

For me if you are someone who always bought Toyota for reliability the hybrids do have a very good reputation vs other makes.

So I suspect that while some folk are nervous about driving a hybrid and buying into the tech - others were probably seeing the Hybrid as the route to go for reliability in 2018.

The automatic thing is a hurdle though - something Toyota could help with having good handovers at the dealers, letting people have cars for the weekend etc.

But we can see from Toyota 2018 figures that sales weren't torpedoed when diesel excluded from the figures.

I also think it's worth noting that some people are turning away from technology that actually makes for a nicer drive vs the old diesel.

To be fair this is something for Toyota to address in terms of understanding their customer base.

Toyota really won’t mind upsetting existing customers if they can get new customers to replace them, and the CH R and probably new Rav are vehicles that can do this for them. They will lose diesel customers that only want/ need diesels the same way they did 30 years when they didn’t really have any diesels of note while Peugeot, Volkswagen and Fiat had good diesel options

Old diesel wrote: »

Toyota were doing free upgrades to Hybrid from petrol though which really helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Casati wrote: »
    Toyota really won’t mind upsetting existing customers if they can get new customers to replace them, and the CH R and probably new Rav are vehicles that can do this for them. They will lose diesel customers that only want/ need diesels the same way they did 30 years when they didn’t really have any diesels of note while Peugeot, Volkswagen and Fiat had good diesel options

Toyota did better diesels than all of those 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭shovel

Went to the hybrid introduction event last Friday night in a Toyota dealer.
    The car's were there for 3 hours.
    There was a Corolla saloon and Camry(both LHD) and a Corolla hatchback and Rav 4 (RHD).
    Car's were open, no keys shown, so got no idea of what they would look like with ignition on.
    About 40 people there with 5 salesman..
    Asked one about buying Rav 4.was told "the days of going down the yard to pick one out were gone. it's all preorder now".
    Was not impressed with the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

shovel wrote: »
    Went to the hybrid introduction event last Friday night in a Toyota dealer.
    The car's were there for 3 hours.
    There was a Corolla saloon and Camry(both LHD) and a Corolla hatchback and Rav 4 (RHD).
    Car's were open, no keys shown, so got no idea of what they would look like with ignition on.
    About 40 people there with 5 salesman..
    Asked one about buying Rav 4.was told "the days of going down the yard to pick one out were gone. it's all preorder now".
    Was not impressed with the whole experience.

Don't suppose the dealers gave any indication when they might even have what is included in each spec for Ravens 4 / Camry / Corolla? I find it crazy that they're taking orders but don't seem to have the details of the specs available.

Have both the father and other half interested in a new Toyota this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

SK1979 wrote: »
    Don't suppose the dealers gave any indication when they might even have what is included in each spec for Ravens 4 / Camry / Corolla? I find it crazy that they're taking orders but don't seem to have the details of the specs available.

Have both the father and other half interested in a new Toyota this year!

Pricing attached for RAV

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

Just to conclude the thread in the end the father-in-law couldn’t bear driving anything else but a Toyota!
    He traded his Avensis in and is waiting on deliver of a new Corolla hybrid Estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

logie101 wrote: »
    Just to conclude the thread in the end the father-in-law couldn’t bear driving anything else but a Toyota!
    He traded his Avensis in and is waiting on deliver of a new Corolla hybrid Estate.

Good choice, I bet he'll be delighted with that , but only after a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes good result.
    When is th new Corolla coming out?

• Advertisement

logie101 wrote: »

Good choice......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume his avensis was diesel be a change for him going to hybrid thinking of going the same route to a corolla saloon.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes good result.

Out already, seen a saloon today, looks bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes good result.

AS poster above said they are out already. I have seen a few of the hatch's myself. They look really good in red.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

I'm down the country and I've seen very few 191 toyotas. What's the waiting time for a newly ordered one? Toyota quality will be tested to the max across the world as it seems they are not quiet ready for the switch over. Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Saw a new RAV today. Jesus its fugly.
    Plastic everywhere

Corolla hatch is very nice looking. Saw one in Lismore the other day.

rn wrote: »
    I'm down the country and I've seen very few 191 toyotas. What's the waiting time for a newly ordered one? Toyota quality will be tested to the max across the world as it seems they are not quiet ready for the switch over. Interesting times.

They have some RAV's available but you just get what the dealer was given to sell. So no pick of colour etc.....so you pick and spec and they offer you what they have

Apart from the RAV no idea on order times.....the camry is not freely available as well I know

They have some RAV's available but you just get what the dealer was given to sell. So no pick of colour etc.....so you pick and spec and they offer you what they have

Apart from the RAV no idea on order times.....the camry is not freely available as well I know

Camry not due until April last I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I had a relative in a similiar bind. Retired gentleman with dodgy hips/knees and he went for a rav4 and hasn't looked back.

He got the one with a reversing camera so.

• Advertisement

Stats for Toyota so far this year

4946-FED9-6-DA1-4-F48-AB04-325-F3-A044-F9-D.jpg

7-E514223-1-F5-B-4214-B610-DC54-ED2-D93-F3.jpg

CHR selling strongly.

Seems people like the style of them

The Yaris is the big surprise. It’s as old as the hills.

8 years is a long time in cars. The hybrid/auto aspect might be a nice USP as most auto boxes in that class are rotten these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did the nuns update their fleet? Seen a good few of old Starlets popping up on DD lately, most of them in bottle green or red with small miles.

I also wonder did many Juke owners swap them for the CHR? The Juke is 9 years old now but they were very popular in their early years but I imagine owners don't want the same thing again 9 years later and moved to the CHR instead maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Yaris is the big surprise. It’s as old as the hills.

8 years is a long time in cars. The hybrid/auto aspect might be a nice USP as most auto boxes in that class are rotten these days.

Bazz is right, there is a grant available at the minute for religious orders of nuns in the Dublin diocese to get new cars and the car of choice is a Yaris unless there is a legitimate reason for needing a bigger car in which case they get a Peugeot Partner. They haven't bought all of the 1200 Yaris' though

On a similar note, I've been around to a number of these orders and none of them have anything interesting or old left :( The oldest so far has been a 00 Corolla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

On a similar note, I've been around to a number of these orders and none of them have anything interesting or old left :( The oldest so far has been a 00 Corolla

The lads who got a hold of the m1nt ep70 starlets for next to nothing 10 years ago are well an truly laughing now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Most definitely! These days they're getting rid of stuff like K12 Micras, Fiesta/Fusions etc. I'm yet to come across even a mint tiny mileage example of one of those

bazz26 wrote: »
    Did the nuns update their fleet? Seen a good few of old Starlets popping up on DD lately, most of them in bottle green or red with small miles.

I also wonder did many Juke owners swap them for the CHR? The Juke is 9 years old now but they were very popular in their early years but I imagine owners don't want the same thing again 9 years later and moved to the CHR instead maybe?

Juke has a new model out this year last I heard.

The CHR seems to be very popular, I was on m50 earlier and loads of 18 and 19 of them knocking around.....

The question is who bought 23 non-self-charging Toyota's

Juke has a new model out this year last I heard.

The CHR seems to be very popular, I was on m50 earlier and loads of 18 and 19 of them knocking around.....

The question is who bought 23 non-self-charging Toyota's

23 people that won't have to worry about batteries if they keep the car till it dies I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

23 people that won't have to worry about batteries if they keep the car till it dies I suppose.

Funny enough I intend buying a 15/16 Auris soon for the Missus. I would have gotten her a hybrid as that would suit her weekly driving, but she was adamant she didn't want an auto.

I suppose the 1.2 turbo will have to do.:pac:

Advertisement