Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Volvo S80 D4 remap?

• 24-12-2018 3:10pm

I know that the D4 2.0L TurboDiesel was given a bit of a tune in the 2014 model to 181BHP.

Does anyone know if that puts it towards the tolerance limits or is there more which can be added to it within tolerance?

Places (admittedly only websites) I am looking only seem to show gains for the pre 2014 version.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,290 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Manufacturers always err on the side of caution when it comes to tuning their engines so there is always plenty of tolerance built into the performance of the car. They also have to abide within the emission regulations set out by the EU.

The biggest concern is more around things like your clutch/flywheel, etc which can be pushed more towards their tolerance level than the engine itself. A good tuner/mapper should still be able to tune it well within tolerance levels without compromising other components.

And my advice would be to get it custom tuned on a dyno rather than just a generic map via a laptop and cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Didn’t they move from 5 cylinder to 4 cylinder around then?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Didn’t they move from 5 cylinder to 4 cylinder around then?

Mine is a 4 cylinder 2.0L

The D5 is the 5 pot 212bhp (wife has the V70 D5 :()

There’s a 2.0 5 pot too as seen on the S60.

I think the 4 banger is a Ford/PSA unit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Torquetronix can remap the 2015 190bhp 2.0 d4 to 240bhp.

So surely similar gains are possible in your case.

• Advertisement

There’s a 2.0 5 pot too as seen on the S60.

I think the 4 banger is a Ford/PSA unit?

Yeah but mine is the straight 4.

Anyhoo I can't magic up another cylinder so got to work with what I got.
    The 5cylinder was, I think a 165bhp engine.

Not sure if they were with Ford in 2014 for that refresh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There's a Polestar upgrade to 200ps

https://engineered.polestar.com/ie/product/optimisation/s80-d4-drive-e-automatic-2014

From memory it's about €750 for the Polestar upgrade, so not really worth it for such a small increase in my opinion.

Should be able to get similar or better gains from an independent remapper for a lower cost.

Biggest gains are on the 2.0 5 cylinder 163ps engine - that goes to 215ps with the Polestar optimisation!

R.O.R wrote: »

https://engineered.polestar.com/ie/product/optimisation/s80-d4-drive-e-automatic-2014

From memory it's about €750 for the Polestar upgrade, so not really worth it for such a small increase in my opinion.

Should be able to get similar or better gains from an independent remapper for a lower cost.

Biggest gains are on the 2.0 5 cylinder 163ps engine - that goes to 215ps with the Polestar optimisation!

Any idea what the gains are on the 136PS version?

Any idea what the gains are on the 136PS version?

That goes up to 163ps. Must be some fairly major differences between the 2 engines.

OK that Polestar is a complete no so.
    That is a lot of money for 0.1sec 0-100kmh gain but no fuel efficiency benefit

• Advertisement

Volvo S80 - 2.0 TD - 181-BHP (01/2013 - Present) Diesel 181 to 230

Not sure how much I would trust these figures either. Looks like far too big a gain
    https://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/car-remap-tuning-remapping.aspx?Make=Volvo%20&Range=S80

Volvo S80 - 2.0 TD - 181-BHP (01/2013 - Present) Diesel 181 to 230

Not sure how much I would trust these figures either. Looks like far too big a gain
    https://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/car-remap-tuning-remapping.aspx?Make=Volvo%20&Range=S80

Do you find it slow at the moment? We've that engine in an XC60 at home and it's a bit of a pig to drive as there's just too much power/torque for the front wheels to handle under full acceleration.

I'd hate to think what that would be like with 230 horses! Bad enough on front tyres as it is, but I know the Saloons are much better at getting the power down than the XC60.

Do you find it slow at the moment? We've that engine in an XC60 at home and it's a bit of a pig to drive as there's just too much power/torque for the front wheels to handle under full acceleration.

I'd hate to think what that would be like with 230 horses! Bad enough on front tyres as it is, but I know the Saloons are much better at getting the power down than the XC60.

Don't find it slow to be honest and even at full throttle the power gets given down.

Problem is the power range and gearing. Always feels like it's changing gear.
    Think that the ride could be smoother (and less fuel) with a tune. But not to the *ahem* tune *ahem* of around €750!

I imagine that the XC60 is a FWD and lifts at the front and loses grip?

Don't find it slow to be honest and even at full throttle the power gets given down.

Problem is the power range and gearing. Always feels like it's changing gear.
    Think that the ride could be smoother (and less fuel) with a tune. But not to the *ahem* tune *ahem* of around €750!

I imagine that the XC60 is a FWD and lifts at the front and loses grip?

Yeah - it's an FWD. Not a patch on the previous one that was a D5 (205ps) AWD, but the D4 does feel a good bit quicker.

Most D4 Geartronics I've driven have been XC60 FWD and it's just a bit of a pig of a setup - probably due to the higher ride height, although the XC90 D4 was very good.

Does that actually happen though? More power and more economy?

Does that actually happen though? More power and more economy?

Depends on your foot's ability to resist gravity...

I'd highly recommend Joe Power in Stone Motorsport, based in Monasterevin. He has custom mapped a few cars for me over the years. He will dyno the car before and after the remap to show you the difference in. Never had an issue with any of his work afterwards either. If you search facebook for Stone Motorsport you will see various projects and tuning that Joe and the other lads do.

Had to put a pin in this for a few months but getting quotes now. Waiting on Stone to get back to me, from above.

Does anyone have a review of JTK in Dungarvan? They are saying an increase to 215bhp for €300.
    And, before I decide anything: What loading would you expect from insurance company. No point saving money on fuel costs (honestly it'll be nice to have MOAR power but that's secondary) if the insurance will eat it all and then some

Better off ringing Joe Power on his mobile, he's not the most responsive on social media.

Advertisement